• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kiaora (Hello in Maori from New Zealand) ...

What a variety of interests you have. I dinna know the Haast eagle was the largest of the world, and I nae heard of the Laughing Owl, and I had been to NZ, twice, but then again, I was more interested (swam with them twice, and seals once) in the dolphins and glaciers.

Did you know there are only three warm glaciers in the world, and two of them are a mere twenty mins drive away, the Franz Josef and the Fox. The other is in Chilie. NZ rocks, period, except for the weather.

I like the kias, those mischievous critters are hell on people's cars, but I nae seen one.

Thankyou Epicurean Pariah. The Laughing Owl and the Haast Eagle are both Extinct Animals. I can find images of them for you and put them in this thread if you like. That is awesome to know Walsie. Now that I didn't know. Keas are interesting and they are the worlds only Alpine Parrot, the rest live under the Alpine Zone like the Kaka (the Kea's closest living relatives). The Kaka looks like this ...

Kaka-L.png

Thats the South Island species of Kaka. Theres a North Island species of Kaka too.

Heres the Kea ... scientific name is Nestor notabilis.

Bold_kea_close-up.jpg

For me with New Zealand Parrots, mine happens to be the South Island Kaka but my boyfriend, his one is the Kea ;) Its also his favourite New Zealand bird :) Mine, different altogether. Haast Eagle but my favourite existing bird is the Whio.

The whio (or blue duck) is special for a number of reasons. As well as being endangered, it only lives in fast flowing mountain steams, has a squeegee on its beak, it whistles, and unlike other ducks is a good mother.

Many animals from New Zealand are like the Whio. One of which is extinct ... the Huia. It had a different beak for the sex. The female had a longer curved beak than the male to get the grubs out of the trees, the male had the beak difference to get at the tree and make a hole for the female to live in. The Wrybill is the only bird to have its beak twisted to the right. The Whio has many reasons, never seen one in real life but one day I might.

The Laughing Owl ;)

species-Sceloglaux-albifacies-1.jpg
[/QUO
Hello Hazelangel, I am a mad about/obsessed with the Laughing Owl as you can see by my avatar (I once stole an old 1980's copy of Forest & Bird because it had a big article on it). I have only just read your posts, its great to meet another NZ Aspie who is keen on birds.

New Threads

Top Bottom