• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jumbling up sentences

Does anyone else do this? -- If I try to explain something to someone else (unless it concerns my special interests) my words seem to be jumbled up as I speak even if I have thought it ALL out, and have a clear understanding of what i'm saying. -- This also happens when I'm not explaining something, but mostly only to strangers or in social situations.

I also wrote about me doing something else similar to this (potentially connected) in which I accidentally write the wrong word, and cannot recognize it into re-reading it multiple times, or reading entirely different words than written.

I believe this may be slightly related to Autism (but I'm not sure), but it's probable that its related to a co-morbid condition of mine that I know I have but I haven't fully "matched" it to anything yet.

I sometimes write wrong years even though I know what year it is. I also sometimes flip flop dates...its 2018 but I might date a document 1981 by accident. Or 2081. Extremely embarrassing. I don’t recall dyslexia as a child, but I have had this quirk through most of my adult life.

I occasionally go to say something that I’ve clearly thought out, yet it sure comes out all wrong, and backwards. This does not happen often.

I occasionally go to say something that I’ve clearly thought out, yet it sure comes out all wrong, and backwards. This does not happen often
This happens with me, too.
I catch myself when I do it, but, don't know why it happens.
In writing, such as here at the forums, I always proof read what I've written before posting.
A lot of times when I read what I've written I correct it because it doesn't sound right when reading it.

Happens to me as well; also doesn't help that I stutter when I'm nervous or excited lol

Yes, when I'm not concentrating, I tend to jump about a bit. I also do things like give my phone number in the wrong order.

Last edited:
I sometimes write wrong years even though I know what year it is. I also sometimes flip flop dates...its 2018 but I might date a document 1981 by accident. Or 2081. Extremely embarrassing. I don’t recall dyslexia as a child, but I have had this quirk through most of my adult life.

I occasionally go to say something that I’ve clearly thought out, yet it sure comes out all wrong, and backwards. This does not happen often.

This actually sounds like it might be dyscalculia. My roommate has it and often mixes up numbers and has trouble quantizing them and translating them into real world significance.

They also have trouble reading analog clocks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Always, which is why I don't really relate to Aspergers that much. Everybody I know in real life who's an Aspie is really good with words and I just make a mess of speaking.

When I was growing up there was only “you’re not trying hard enough” in school (especially math classes), or “You’re are not praying hard enough.” Back then, children were either the “R” word, or “lazy.”

We did not have fancy words like autism, dyscalculia, dyslexia, the many strange sounding phobias, and many other “new” diagnosis’s learned in these forums. Children could continually show up to school with bruises, and even broken bones, and there were no inquiries as to home life or parental abuses. It’s a wonder I survived this long. It amazes me just how far we have come in 50-plus years.

Last edited:
Yes, I do that too. I don’t consider myself stupid but I’m quite sure that most people I meet for the first time, think I’m stupid, because I don’t talk much and if I do,I just can’t form sentences like a normal person and that can look pretty stupid for a stranger.

I also have this weird thing with writing. I often start words with the second letter and it only happens by handwriting, not when using keyboard.

Yes, I do this. I will be trying to explain a technical issue I am very familiar with, and find myself unable to work out what to say, and stumbling over words and phrases, even though I know exactly what I'm talking about.

It doesn't happen all the time - in fact it must be a little confusing to others because normally I make sense (as far as I know), yet sometimes it comes out as nonsense, or rather incoherent.

I think it's a processing problem, because when it happens, I seem to be mentally lagging behind what I am trying to say. I also think it's related to a common issue I have when typing, that I will often type entirely incorrect words, or conflate words together, or get them out of order.

New Threads

Top Bottom