• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Interviews

savi83

Hi everybody,

I don't think anyone likes job interviews, I find them difficult as I don't always get the same interpretation of the question that they are asking as they do.

I haven't had a formal diagnosis of AS.

I managed to get my current job through an interview, I don't know how as there were three people interviewing me and I came out of the interview with my head spinning.

Does anyone have any advice regarding interviews?

Most interviews are standard questions so I would suggest practicing with another person. Go online to find out what managers are supposed to ask during interviews to work on probable questions.

Be honest about whatever you might find challenging about the position. There's no point in getting the job and then not being able to do it.

And feel free to highlight your strengths. Are you detail-oriented? That's a valuable skill, and acknowledge that you might need to have an environment that lets you concentrate on that if this is an important part of the job.

As a manager, I appreciated prospects who would say something like, "I have trouble in a chaotic work environment." If that's all I got to offer, I know this won't work out. If I don't have that, they have demonstrated that they can figure things out... and that they will tell me what is going on.

Don't think of the interview as you being rated pass or fail. You are using this opportunity to assess the job for how well it will fit you just as much as they are trying to figure out if you will fit them.

In most interviews I've had, I've already known the job was pretty much "in the bag" because it's been nearly all voluntary work, the only interview I "failed" was for South Yorkshire Police Special Constabulary in August 2011, I knew I'd messed up as soon as I left the interview room, but then the following Thursday I received a letter from SYP confirming that I had.

Oh well, I was kind of proud of myself for getting that far into the recruitment stages.

New Threads

Top Bottom