• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jeremy from Delaware

Jeremy P

My name is Jeremy. I'm going into my senior year of high school. I'm also a writer, a musician I play the guitar, (primarily acoustic but I own an electric, too) ukulele, and piano. I sing, too. I write free verse poetry when inspiration strikes. I also play sled hockey.

I was born with mild spastic triplegic Cerebral Palsy. I also have moderately severe Tourette Syndrome which began to manifest at age 12 and with which I was diagnosed at age 15, just over two years ago. I've been recovering from depression and anxiety for just over a year and a half.

For the past six months or so, I've been heavily considering that likelihood that I have Asperger's Syndrome or high functioning Autism, however I still struggle with saying so. I've had very poor social skills for as long as I can remember, and I have a lot of issues with sensory processing, especially auditory input. I'm prone to sensory overload, and I stim a lot. I struggle with looking people in the eye, regulating the volume of my speech, and I've been told that I don't have much of a filter. I'm told all the time that I interrupt often, dominate conversations, say rude things, or speak in a rude tone, even though I don't often realize it. I've found it increasingly distressing as I've grown up.

Further complicating this is the fact that I am transgender. That is, I was born female but identify as male. I am treated as male in social settings by friends, family, and strangers alike, and I hope to pursue hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and chest reconstruction surgery in the next few years. Because I was born female, and because I am a highly articulate teenager, most people don't think it's even possible for me to have Asperger's or another ASD.

I've internalized a lot of that stigma, and so I struggle to accept the nature of my issues. Am I autistic, or just someone with really bad social skills who also has sensory issues, which are a common comorbidity of Tourette Syndrome? I don't know. I wrestle a lot with it. I'm fairly confident from a logical standpoint, especially with an understanding of why my symptoms present differently because I'm biologically female, but the thought of actually saying that I'm autistic terrifies me and makes me feel guilty, like I'm a fraud. I'm not sure anymore...

welcome.png

Come on in... I think I was born feeling guilty... so don't fret, just be you.

I am ASD, PTSD, mild OCD, mild Tourettes, and a hot mess of anxiety, panic disorder, and sometimes depression... (who knows what else) but does it really even matter?

Its just a bunch of labels for a guy who is different than those people out there destroying a reality that could be based on UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, instead of hate, greed, completion, arrogance, etc.

We are what we are as individuals, but we have to live in a collective of mass thoughts that create what we deem as reality... It is seem as concrete, but its just an illusion based on thoughts. If we ALL change how we think, the world would change instantly.

I hope I can word this right, but this place is a place where "perceived" misfits fit in. : )
I dont see us as misfits...
I see us as a challenge to the worlds status quo, and I wouldn't change that even if I could.

My name is Jeremy. I'm going into my senior year of high school. I'm also a writer, a musician I play the guitar, (primarily acoustic but I own an electric, too) ukulele, and piano. I sing, too. I write free verse poetry when inspiration strikes. I also play sled hockey.

I was born with mild spastic triplegic Cerebral Palsy. I also have moderately severe Tourette Syndrome which began to manifest at age 12 and with which I was diagnosed at age 15, just over two years ago. I've been recovering from depression and anxiety for just over a year and a half.

For the past six months or so, I've been heavily considering that likelihood that I have Asperger's Syndrome or high functioning Autism, however I still struggle with saying so. I've had very poor social skills for as long as I can remember, and I have a lot of issues with sensory processing, especially auditory input. I'm prone to sensory overload, and I stim a lot. I struggle with looking people in the eye, regulating the volume of my speech, and I've been told that I don't have much of a filter. I'm told all the time that I interrupt often, dominate conversations, say rude things, or speak in a rude tone, even though I don't often realize it. I've found it increasingly distressing as I've grown up.

Further complicating this is the fact that I am transgender. That is, I was born female but identify as male. I am treated as male in social settings by friends, family, and strangers alike, and I hope to pursue hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and chest reconstruction surgery in the next few years. Because I was born female, and because I am a highly articulate teenager, most people don't think it's even possible for me to have Asperger's or another ASD.

I've internalized a lot of that stigma, and so I struggle to accept the nature of my issues. Am I autistic, or just someone with really bad social skills who also has sensory issues, which are a common comorbidity of Tourette Syndrome? I don't know. I wrestle a lot with it. I'm fairly confident from a logical standpoint, especially with an understanding of why my symptoms present differently because I'm biologically female, but the thought of actually saying that I'm autistic terrifies me and makes me feel guilty, like I'm a fraud. I'm not sure anymore...

Hi Jeremy. Welcome to AC!!!

It sounds as if you have a lot going on in your life to deal with now. Have you tried taking online tests to see about having Autism/Aspergers? That might give you more confidence to find out more, if the tests say you might be an Aspie.

Have you tried taking online tests to see about having Autism/Aspergers?

Most of them come back borderline. I'm always right on the cusp, within one or two points of being considered neurotypical. My Autism quotient came back as

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 137 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Screenshot_20170809-141006.png

Which made me feel a lot better. I just can't quite shake the stigma attached to calling myself autistic, and I don't want to offend the autistic community by saying I'm autistic if I'm not.

Saying that you are Autistic is not a big problem unless you are planning to climb up in a clock tower with an AK-47. If you have any plans like that please say that you are something else. :eek: :p

New Threads

Top Bottom