• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's too cold outside.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Let's build a snow fortress where we can.

Otherwise, I can't wait for this cold weather to go away so I can explore the outdoors again.

It has been between 10 and 25 degrees all week, and I am absolutely thriving in this nice dry cold. I could honestly go for a little colder, even.

It has been between 10 and 25 degrees all week, and I am absolutely thriving in this nice dry cold. I could honestly go for a little colder, even.
You can keep this weather, I am looking forward to my beach vacation this summer with a cold water bottle in one hand and a novel in the other, listening to the waves while sitting on my beach blanket and getting a tan.

You can keep this weather, I am looking forward to my beach vacation this summer with a cold water bottle in one hand and a novel in the other, listening to the waves while sitting on my beach blanket and getting a tan.

My ideal Beach Vacation would be on the Oregon Coast where it's rarely above 65, and each day begins and ends with a misty fog. Oh yeah.

Last edited:
It's -4 here, and everything is frozen.

I had to do some driving to reach an appointment today, came much too close to getting stuck out there... bad ice + snow drifts = not good driving conditions. Not very safe.

I don't deal with cold very well in any case. I keep a small heater in the room I'm in and it's been getting frequent use.

I wish I was a multibillionaire with more money than the rest of the top .1% combined, and then I can have my own private party tropical island and give everybody here VIP memberships.

272750400_5236048839762421_8127193578942361314_n-scaled.jpg

Its around 2 to 5 here, it's definitely not the weather for recovering from a stomach op, my nerve pain has been severe, and the cold makes it worse. I do actually quite like it normally though. We don't usually get frost even here, but it does get very cold and the wind can bring us into what feel like minus temperatures, maybe -4 or so. This year, roll on spring! We have bulbs coming up now at least.

Yesterday it was 4F and I spent more than an hour in a snowbank. Poor light so one could not tell what was the road and the snowbank plus whiteout conditions. Missed my counseling appointment.

The drive home, took far too long on icy roads, or does no one else know how to drive in this weather? :rolleyes:... The roads weren't that bad in my opinion, and I don't have 4WD/AWD

Another commuting battle tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

Its around 2 to 5 here, it's definitely not the weather for recovering from a stomach op, my nerve pain has been severe, and the cold makes it worse. I do actually quite like it normally though. We don't usually get frost even here, but it does get very cold and the wind can bring us into what feel like minus temperatures, maybe -4 or so. This year, roll on spring! We have bulbs coming up now at least.
2 to 5 C?

I wish South Carolina got enough snow to play in. All we get here is a crappy half inch sheet that isn't good for anything if we're lucky enough every few years.

I'm making pigs-in-blankets (precooked sausage and storebought pastry dough rollups) for breakfast, after which I'll suit, boot and glove up to put out more birdseed and try to provide water for the birds.

I'm worried about the wild birds during this unusual bitter cold and ice. I had to fill the birdfeeders twice yesterday because they are starving. I poured hot water on top of the frozen birdbaths several times yesterday so the birds could get some water but it's so cold that the water quickly refreezes. I hope that the concrete birdbaths won't crack when I pour hot water on top of the ice in them but it's the only way I know to provide some water. I tried putting metal pie plates on top of plant stands that I put in the yard and filled them with water, but they quickly froze, too.

Any suggestions about what else I can do to provide water?

I'm making pigs-in-blankets (precooked sausage and storebought pastry dough rollups) for breakfast, after which I'll suit, boot and glove up to put out more birdseed and try to provide water for the birds.

I'm worried about the wild birds during this unusual bitter cold and ice. I had to fill the birdfeeders twice yesterday because they are starving. I poured hot water on top of the frozen birdbaths several times yesterday so the birds could get some water but it's so cold that the water quickly refreezes. I hope that the concrete birdbaths won't crack when I pour hot water on top of the ice in them but it's the only way I know to provide some water. I tried putting metal pie plates on top of plant stands that I put in the yard and filled them with water, but they quickly froze, too.

Any suggestions about what else I can do to provide water?
Nice to hear you are talking care of the birds too, these days I also have to feed them twice a day, they really eat a lot - what do you feed them, I use sunflower and hemp seeds, then some peanuts outside my window - for water, it might be a bit much, but I have an electric heater in the filter for my pond, so it keeps some of the water clear of ice..
20240117_153822.jpg

20240117_114039.jpg

Nice to hear you are talking care of the birds too, these days I also have to feed them twice a day, they really eat a lot - what do you feed them, I use sunflower and hemp seeds, then some peanuts outside my window - for water, it might be a bit much, but I have an electric heater in the filter for my pond, so it keeps some of the water clear of ice..
View attachment 124647
View attachment 124648

I mostly use black oil sunflower seeds for all of them, thistle seeds for the goldfinch and indigo buntings, and hang suet from tree branches. I wish I had those electric heaters for the birdbaths. I'll look online for some.

I don't know what to feed bluebirds because they are insect eaters. I put out dried meal worms (my chickens' favorite snack) on top of their boxes and I think they do eat some. Yesterday morning I saw 7 bluebirds fly out of a single box, like a clown car at the circus! They huddle together for warmth in the boxes.

I mostly use black oil sunflower seeds for all of them, thistle seeds for the goldfinch and indigo buntings, and hang suet from tree branches. I wish I had those electric heaters for the birdbaths. I'll look online for some.
If noone sells them, then I have a new business idea :)

I don't know what to feed bluebirds because they are insect eaters. I put out dried meal worms (my chickens' favorite snack) on top of their boxes and I think they do eat some. Yesterday morning I saw 7 bluebirds fly out of a single box, like a clown car at the circus! They huddle together for warmth in the boxes.
I also tried with dried meal worms, they have not really been a hit to the birds in my garden, I have seen the blackbirds take some, but they like the sunflower seeds more. We don't have bluebirds here so I don't know what they eat.... looked at the internet to see what they look like, they are pretty :) and very clever they keep warm together, it must have been quite a sight seeing them leave the box together:)

The most common bird, feeding in my garden, is the tree sparrow, they come in groups.

We have woodpeckers at the suet. Downy, Hairy, Red Breasted and Pileated. Those Pileated are large birds. The Chickadees love the sunflower seeds that they go hide for later, so its like a conveyor belt of Chickadees at the feeder sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom