• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it normal to be able to sense a meltdown coming?

Laura Sinclair

Hello,

I have recently just been diagnosed as an Adult with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Stage One without Learning Difficulties.) I was wondering if it was normal for me to be able to sense when my own meltdowns are starting to happen?

Also, do you have any tips for coping with meltdowns? I tend to just cry in a dark room, but honestly, I always feel tired afterwards, which can lead to the risk of another one.

Hi Laura & welcome.

Of course it's normal. You know when your anxiety is triggered & the physical effects are undeniable. Crying in a dark room is sad but well controlled really, although it is very sad life brings you to this. A healthier option too than for some.

Well done for getting a late diagnosis. You can get some extra support now at least & learn ways of recognising & coping with everything hopefully. There is always this forum to rant on too ☺

Think this is difficult but the fact you are talking about this instead of keeping it bottled up is excellent. When we don't talk about things, then we fall in the rabbit hole of no return. Often the posters share tips on relieving stress and discussing issues that made them breakdown. Then you find out there are others just like you here with tips . Welcome and the door is always open 24/7!

Last edited:
I think that depends on how many meltdowns you've had. As an adult, it's an indicator of how much emotional control you have to not only sense a meltdown coming but to contain it as well. Does that make sense?

Hi Laura :)

welcome to af.png

If youve had a stressful day and are tired it may be more likely to have one.

I cry a lot often and feel tired afterwards. I usually like to relax and need a long time to recharge to prevent it or after. it's harder to deal with my mood after, but talking to someone who is gentle online or watching tv or cat videos works.

New Threads

Top Bottom