• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intrusive thoughts in the form of a phrase.

8crismon

Concept machine
For some reason, the phrase "easy on the eyes" popped into my head when I saw fan art of Doc Ock. Which made me go "the fudge?" It happened again today while watching a video. This is most certainly an extension of the thing I was dealing with; I thought it went away then it came back. Now I'm fixating on it which is making it worse.
What are your experiences with this scenario?

I'll sometimes have singular phrases or logic loops that I can't help but repeat in my head and they sort of interrupt the thought flow as I'm trying to think while also repeating it. I will say they don't often get prompted by any direct events but are like circular thinking that occurs when I'm already pretty active up there.
Thought-byproduct for an overwhelmed mind I reckon. The most efficient ways to move on in my experience is to find reassurance even if only temporary or to remove yourself from the current context. I'll often ask people I know questions that I technically know the answer to just to hear others say it to shut some part of myself up. Or I'll drop what it is I'm doing and where I'm doing it and go elsewhere to find new context that can probably move me away mentally in due time.

Now I'm fixating on it which is making it worse.
Try not to fixate.

Notice your thoughts, observe them as you would clouds in the sky and let them pass like a cloud.

If you google around, there might be better descriptions of this meditation. Or videos to guide through it.

* I didn't mean try not to fixate as in , just do it, it's obviously difficult, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. I meant that the method I described is a way to try not to, noticing thoughts instead of engaging with them. I'm sorry, I didn't get enough sleep today and feel groggy.

New Threads

Top Bottom