• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introducing myself...

Stitch

Nice Mushroom
V.I.P Member
So a few years ago I stumbled across a description of Asperger's, and then went to research it and it pretty much describes me to a 't'. However, at that point things were pretty stable and I figured I was doing just fine; it was nice to have an explanation for the way I am but I didn't think I needed to do anything about it.
Fast-forward three-ish years, and some significant things are changing in my life and I've come to the realization that I am really not handling it well. Socially I'm in the void where many Aspies find themselves. My best efforts to act like an NT around others has started taking a definite mental and emotional toll, and while I would very much not like to need help ...I do. And this looks like a good place to get it.

It can be quite a revelation to slowly learn just how profound ASD has effected one's life. To explain so much in terms of who and what we are. For better or worse.

Though I like to think self awareness is a starting point in improving one's life in as much as is possible. Masking- faking NT behavior to get along has always been exhausting to me as well. Though I just didn't know why. Always thought I was just some weird introvert and little else.

As a self-aware Aspie I feel more in a position to "ration" my mental and emotional resources, and savor solitude as a way to "recharge". I just wish I had learned this early in life instead of stumbling on it in my mid-fifties. Too late to have avoided a string of failed relationships with NTs.

So a few years ago I stumbled across a description of Asperger's, and then went to research it and it pretty much describes me to a 't'. However, at that point things were pretty stable and I figured I was doing just fine; it was nice to have an explanation for the way I am but I didn't think I needed to do anything about it.
Fast-forward three-ish years, and some significant things are changing in my life and I've come to the realization that I am really not handling it well. Socially I'm in the void where many Aspies find themselves. My best efforts to act like an NT around others has started taking a definite mental and emotional toll, and while I would very much not like to need help ...I do. And this looks like a good place to get it.
I'm hitting that hurdle right now myself.
A recent major issue in my life has been impossible to get a handle on which i discovered was due to aspects of my aspergers, which i didn't know i had.
I hate asking for help and never wanted to have to rely on anyone but facing an utter collapse will motivate one to at least whisper for assistance... i joined here a couple of days ago and already feel better just knowing there is someone feeling similar and that my confusion and emotional stress at keeping NT is shared.
Keep talking... the social vortex seems to be normal for us but here are kindred spirits i think.

welcome.png

Yeah, this is a good place to get help, to an extent. this helps me but it's not the only thing I use. Talking to people who go through some of the same stuff I do face to face helps more. And doctors, if you can bear them. Welcome.

giphy (27).gif

In no particular order...
1. Reading. I love to read and my family says that books are my addiction.
2. Reptiles. I like science in general and love biology in particular, but once I found out how much I like snakes I haven't gone back. Not my mother's favorite thing, but ...>.>
3. In relation to #2, toxins in snake venom
4. Color psychology
5. Periodic Table of Elements
6. Gemstones, specifically those that are pleochroic or have an unusual crystal structure.
7. Gardening/plants ...working on how to transfer that to an apartment setting
8. Writing the myriad of stories running through my head. This is actually how I found out about Asperger's -in a thread on the NaNoWriMo website. I also journal because that's one way I've found of keeping my head from exploding after a trying day.
9. Foreign languages, although it's hard to practice because of my selective mutism. I'm much better on the writing/reading end of things than actually speaking them.
10. Beading
11. Random specific animals like platypuses, giant anteaters, booboks, Siberian tigers, etc.
12. Neurology

GOSH it's nice to be asked what I'm interested in by people who understand they're going to get bombarded with more than they thought they were going to get.
I'm always hesitant about answering the dreaded question of 'so what do you like to do?' because I know the questioner doesn't actually want to know about how verbs are conjugated in Russian. 'I like reading and gardening. What about you?' X)
Thank you so much for asking! :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom