• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

if you had to pick a autistic role model, who would it be?

toothless

this is mr shadow,my support cat
who would you pick?

i think i would pick tito mukhopadhyay as i relate to him a lot. he is a profoundly autistic indian man who i first saw on a weird sky tv channel,i think it was called teachers TV,some channel for teachers.
tito has an amazing thirst for independance and didnt let his treatment in his community get him down,he has wrote multiple books,i recommend his latest book plankton dreams;what i learned in special ed.

the only down side was his mothers contreversial way of teaching him,which was akin to ABA, constantly prompting him physically taking him out of his world and forcing him to stay in reality.
and then all the pro cure groups wanted to use him as an icon for their promoting,which i didnt like but i totally respect the guy and wish i could meet him just to shake his hand [in my own way,its a pretty hardcore shake].

so....what about you?

My cousin, Sam. He didn't have an easy time at school with friends but he did well in education, went to university, I think, and now has a successful job as a systems engineer in London. He travels long distances and isn't afraid to go places on his own. And he too battled with anxiety and depression.

He had what I didn't have in school though. He had the advantage of going to a private school, his teachers knew he has Asperger's and he got support assistance which I think prepared him for life after school. He also had the advantage of knowing some idea of what he wanted to do for a career. I didn't hardly any of that and when I did I rejected most of it and they were fine by that.

I'm envious of him. I got enough support to just about scrap by and then after education I was left to my own devices to figure things out on my own which I wasn't able to do. I've lost five years. I've had to hit rock bottom, mentally, in order to get the support I need. And I'm really angry about that.

He is someone I aspire to be though. Maybe I can come back from all this stuff and be someone who I'm happy and proud to be.

Last edited:
I'd probably go for Temple Grandin, the only female autistic person I know anything about. There are not many autistic people who wouldn't be afraid of the notoriety that would come about from having a public life.

I'd probably go for Temple Grandin, the only female autistic person I know anything about. There are not many autistic people who wouldn't be afraid of the notoriety that would come about from having a public life.
My phone conversation with Dr. Grandin was a definite highlight of my early experience with the autism spectrum. Seeing the movie about her was the first time I was able to show others a little bit about how my own brain worked.

New Threads

Top Bottom