• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If there were any sense to the English language...............

Any specific examples of non-English, or those English words which might be helpful in our everyday lives?

- The Italian word 'malinteso' means 'misunderstanding.'

- The German word, 'fehlstart' means 'false start' - a word which might convey a 'haste makes waste' scenario.

Such non-English words such as 'malinteso' and 'fehlstart' are easy to remember, spell, and pronounce in the often hurried 'English speaking world. Are such non-English words ripe for wide adaptation in the English speaking world?

* Discussion continues in next post.............

English has thousands of words borrowed from other languages. All of us regularly use those words, and new words regularly become part of our lexicon. Some fairly recent adoptions include schadenfreude and uber.

English has thousands of words borrowed from other languages. All of us regularly use those words, and new words regularly become part of our lexicon. Some fairly recent adoptions include schadenfreude and uber.
The non-English words which are easy to remember, spell, and pronounce would be those words most ripe for wide adaptation in the English speaking world.

It always amuses me to hear someone speaking Dutch, and to hear some words that are very close to German. Then to suddenly hear an English word in all of it. LOL.

I still remember the day my boss (Web Producer) told me about a new product website I had to design. At the end of the conversation she casually tells me, "BTW you'll have to make this site entirely in the Dutch language". I laughed....then she told me she wasn't kidding!

This discussion-thread presented diverse examples of non-English words.

What about specific non-English words which are both ripe-for adoption in the English speaking world, and words that deal with those more mundane, somtimes challenging situations of everyday life?

This discussion-thread presented diverse examples of non-English words.

What about specific non-English words which are both ripe-for adoption in the English speaking world, and words that deal with those more mundane, somtimes challenging situations of everyday life?

Well, it is interesting to speculate about new words being adopted, but there is no "nominating" process for foreign words to be added to the English language. It's not something that people vote on and there is no formal adoption process. It seems to me that foreign words become part of everyday English when a sufficient number of English speakers use those words on a regular basis for a sufficient length of time that most people know the meaning of the new word and find it a useful word to use. I think languages evolve through custom and practice.

New Threads

Top Bottom