• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have questions for Aspies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to add, I think psychopaths are fascinating. I love picking non-typical brains. In a non-Hannibal Lecter way. Psychiatry is infinitely interesting to me. I'm in the medical profession, and my ability to read people really gives me an advantage when it comes to psychiatric patients.

Last edited:
Hmm, Empathy wise, I admit I do lack it quite a bit. I actually used to think I was a psychopath myself, but I realise now I am not. I am not always aware I am manipulating people, but there is a good reason for that. I'll try to explain.

I can read people very well, I can see their interactions and see what the 'appropriate' response to the situation should be. I love psychology and find people easy to read, but very confusing too. BUT this only works when I am not directly involved in the situation; otherwise, I get a sort of tunnel vision and can no longer read them or understand how to react. People often come to me with their problems and I offer good, constructive advice (sometimes they don't take it or they get offended by it) based on the situation and people involved. I don't feel bad for them or their situation, and honestly, it doesn't matter to me what happens most of the time.

I can manipulate the situation if I have time to prepare before hand, but I don't play people for fun. It is mainly to get what I need.

Sorry, I find it difficult to put my thoughts down so this is probably a jumbled mess. If you ask a solid question I will do my best to answer though.

All I know about the psychopath concept is it's a spectrum like most things and it's common and quite often people with the traits are productive citizens. I know it's also a word used to describe those with seeming no remorse and who sometimes get pleasure in others pain. That seems to be a subtype and many who exhibit that sorta extreme in childhood will grow out of it. And then there are others who their entire lives relish the chance to hurt others. There needs to be more words since not all are Hannibal Lector or politicians. I mentioned psychopathy in another thread earlier today in a way that may have been a bit too generalized.

The only thing I can tell you about ASD that answers your question is that we are just different. Even from each other. We tend to all be on our own little wavelength.

I also have a strict moral code, driven by guilt. Wonder if it is an aspie trait. It tempers my aspie insensitivity. I have no desire to cause anyone harm, especially if it benefits me; unless it is for justice.

As for this thread in general I do find psychopaths very interesting. Darwinism, both biological and social, interests me and psychopaths on an individual level seem to be very strong in a Darwinist sense. They can operate without restraint, pretending to be moral when it suits them and completely ditching morality when it does not. On a group level though I think a group of psychopaths would be weaker than most other groups due to lack of self sacrifice and impaired sense of fairness. But we will never see pure groups with one trait or other so it is not relevant. While I find psychopaths fascinating on a theoretical level, personally I would like to avoid them even more than non-psychopaths. I value trust and fairness above all. I think that psychopaths and autistics may be polar opposites in some ways. No offense intended.

I have Aspergers. I'm very capable of empathy. Over the years I've learned to show "appropriate" behavior in most situations, so that I'm able to blend in. Because I've spent so much time reading people and trying to mimic and understand them, I have an easy time manipulating people. I usually choose not to, because I've had a pretty strict moral code since forever. When talking to a shrink I know what to say to them to bend the conversation whichever way I want it to, but I've come to realize that doing that doesn't help me. I visited to a shrink to become a more functional human being, not to see how good I am at bullshitting.
As you can see, there's a few parallels between us, and a few differences. Not trying to be preachy whatsoever though. If it weren't for my overwhelming sense of empathy, I'd probably have an entirely different alignment. I wouldn't use my powers for good :D At this point I just come up with evil schemes for fun, without going through with any of it.

I did feel some unnecessary drama but it may have been unintentional. I apologize if I offended you :)

I am curious as to what drives you. What is it you want in life? Is there commonality in this among psychopaths?

Perhaps it's highly likely that the psychopath is inadvertently doing what they do with people, to the people on this forum too. It is what it is, no need to apologize to them; you'll just be playing into their hand.

Welcome to the forum S-Head. I may have been unnecessarily rude, unless I am sure someone is trying to manipulate me I prefer to be civil. Higher functioning Autistics are very difficult to manipulate. We just stand and stare at people suspiciously :D

I am pretty empathetic and hate hurting other people,I admit I can miss social cues like sarcasm and subtle things like when someone is getting bored or want to change subject but I always hated seeing others and animals being hurt,I do tend to like animals more than people at times because it's hard for me to get close to someone but I'm close to my husband and I feel he understands my social anxieties and why I am as introverted as I am he even told me when we are out he will give me a signal when someone is being sarcastic.

but I'm close to my husband and I feel he understands my social anxieties and why I am as introverted as I am he even told me when we are out he will give me a signal when someone is being sarcastic.

He's your "wingman". One who wants to understand and succeeds in doing so. :cool:

I don't think I lack empathy all together, but I don't think mine is nearly that of an NT's level of empathy. I laugh when people hurt themselves and feel uncomfortable when they cry. I only surface care about their problems - the one exception is my husband and dog - I care about their feelings. Still not as much as I should but I'd say it's about 75% there.

I am actually quite empathetic and get very sad when bad things happen to people and animals. I just don't express it properly or in a "socially normal" manner. I seem very robotic and emotionless on the surface but underneath I am extremely emotional.
At my dad's funeral I cried more than anyone has ever seen me cry and I think it was quite shocking for my family as they are used to thinking of me as being very stoic.

...Enough about me. As others have said, there is quite a range of differences between Aspies. Some seem like they don't feel empathy at all while others are more outwardly sensitive and emotional.

I've always found psychology interesting and psycopathy also. I know there are many people that testing would label psychopathic that no one would know from being around them and no they don't all go on murder sprees. That is a subtype. I've never studied much on the difference between psychopath vs sociopath.
To put it as briefly as possible the original question was regarding the differences and likenesses between psychopaths and Aspergers?
I think the empathy score comes into play and it varies a lot between individual Aspies.
Perhaps the reason we are hard to read for the psychopath is the difference in why both can have a low EQ.
Aspergers with low EQ scores seem to not be able to read others or understand others feelings because how can you understand something you have never felt?
An example could be talk with someone who loves and finds great meaning in life due to grandchildren.
(this is just a random example) Aspies who never had the feeling of even wanting children cannot understand the feelings of said grandmother. Right?
That can cause a feeling of not fitting in with the NT.
The psychopath may not relate either. But, doesn't care they don't fit the NTs outlook. It doesn't bother them on a personal level that they don't know the NTs feelings. Is this correct?
Another good example is the photo test.
Monitor a psycopath's brain as they are shown an array of photos both of happy people and people who are in pain or being tortured. There is no difference in the emotional reactions as they watch.
There would be in an NT and a lot of Aspies. Is this correct?
The psychopath can act in most anyway that serves their purpose when interacting with another person.
The Aspie may find that difficult.
As far as remorse the psychopath may not be a serial killer but if they did kill for revenge or self defense they have no feelings about it. Again I keep asking am I getting this correct because I find it interesting.
I've known psychopaths that do feel certain emotions.
Some feel love so deep that when something goes wrong or they lose that loved one, THAT can be a trigger to start the killing spree type that was spoke of. Abuse and PTSD are triggers for some. And they are very good at 'head games' to manipulate or get back at someone who they feel deserves it.
Again, I think Aspies with low EQ is due to not being able to relate to specific feelings of NTs.
The psychopath just has no reaction to others or what they feel. Anyone want to add or correct me on this study please do. I am interested and neutral on the subject matter.

@Harrowing Adventure , your OP sounds like (to me):

"I can normally manipulate others around me and am quite uncomfortable when I cannot. Please tell me how you are different so I can learn to manipulate your kind, too."

Even if there were a simple answer to your query, I'm not sure that it is in our best interests or yours to offer such.

I don't think I lack empathy all together, but I don't think mine is nearly that of an NT's level of empathy. I laugh when people hurt themselves and feel uncomfortable when they cry. I only surface care about their problems - the one exception is my husband and dog - I care about their feelings. Still not as much as I should but I'd say it's about 75% there.

This describes me to a T. Seeing animals being hurt does upset me probably more than most though.

@Harrowing Adventure , your OP sounds like (to me):

"I can normally manipulate others around me and am quite uncomfortable when I cannot. Please tell me how you are different so I can learn to manipulate your kind, too."

Even if there were a simple answer to your query, I'm not sure that it is in our best interests or yours to offer such.

My thoughts exactly.

@xudo, Seeing animals hurt, particularly dogs, upsets me more than most as well.
I can handle seeing a movie where a human character dies but I can absolutely never bring myself to watch anything where a dog is hurt or killed.

@xudo, Seeing animals hurt, particularly dogs, upsets me more than most as well.
I can handle seeing a movie where a human character dies but I can absolutely never bring myself to watch anything where a dog is hurt or killed.

I completely agree. When animals and babies/young children get hurt, I find that quite nauseating.

I have empathy to a certain extent. If someone does a stupid thing and something bad happens, no empathy. If something unfortunate happens to someone, I will have empathy. I may not express it.

For the person with psychopathy, do you also have narcissism? A friend of mine is a therapist and said it is a common comorbid.
As for the common link in Aspie's, it is a very broad thing. Our brains are all wired different from NT's. We have a neurological disorder that makes our nervous system and our brain patterns different but that does not mean they are the same as all other Aspie's.

I find psychopathy fascinating. I don't find you scary. I think you would be an interesting person to know on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom