• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have questions for Aspies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried that empathy quotient test. I thought I'd get between a 20 and 40 out of 80.

I got a freaking 7... Wtf!?!??!

It's a stupid, poorly written test. If that test is how psychologist judge empathy then fine, I have almost none. And apparently empathy has absolutely nothing to do with caring about others. It is about "I try to keep up with the current trends and fashions." Oh, I got 13. When my boyfriend is hurting I feel terrible. How do I manage that? And why do I care when a restroom is not ADA compliant? With a score of 13 it should be impossible (sarcasm, of course).

and much of the Satanic bible

Ironically, the author was most likely an aspie.

Why should people not be free to say that

Because it is not true. I don't know where you got your data, but I'd guess it's from the earliest speculations when a shooting spree happens. Those are almost always incorrect. More thorough research show that having a disability makes you less likely to be violent, not more.

Many of the ones I have read about over the years do have autistic traits. Why should people not be free to say that autistics are very likely over-represented among mass shooters?

Oh, I wasn't saying that anyone isn't free to speak their mind (who am I to do that? :)), I was just giving a warning there. I guarantee if a thread was started here on just that subject though, there's a good chance it would get shut down in short order.

Personally, I'd prefer solid, concrete proof over word of mouth when people make questionable claims like that, but that's just me.

These are good questions.
And I like proof over word of mouth too.

HarrowingAdventure:

Thanks for clarifying that psycopaths do have emotions. That was one of my main topics I wanted to get straight.
Some emotions I experience to a great extent. But, can't just turn them off and on like a switch. They well up inside then it is up to me as to what I do with them.
As far as the EQ test my score was 11.
A lot of the questions in the test I noticed are of a psychopathic nature. As you replied on the photos of people in pain gave pleasure. I was under the impression most felt no difference from one photo to the next. A type of detachment which can also create the ability to pass the typical lie detector responses. If there is no emotion it can't pick up the response used to differentiate between the questions.
Also the photo response shows in some a calming effect happens when viewing what others condsider gruesome or painful. As far as morality, that is too, indeed a deep subject. Why one person thinks something is immoral and the next doesn't? Most people say it is due to cultural experience. They call it evolving into being a civilised culture vs barbaric. But, some have their own ideas on that, no matter what they were taught growing up. Thus we have the individual mind and the herded minds. Difference in wiring? Or the personality?
I'm sure if you are very good at reading people for their true innerself as you say you are, you are learning differences here from just reading our posts.

I both agree and disagree. NTs come here and ask how to manipulate us, but usually just one of us, like a child or a boyfriend.

True. Most I think are actually trying to change us, rather than manipulate though. Some would argue that's the same thing.

Just tried that empathy quotient test. I thought I'd get between a 20 and 40 out of 80.

I got a freaking 7... Wtf!?!??!

I got 6. I wouldn't dwell on it too much. It doesn't make you an awful person.

Harrowing Adventure,

10) You said that you felt pleasure at the torture pics. You also say that you are not cruel. If watching others get tortured pleases you why not torture others yourself? I understand that there is punishment and that it outweighs the pleasure you would get in return, but what if there was no risk of punishment? If you lived in a country that had capital punishment and torture for example, would you not want to volunteer for carrying it out anonymously?

11) Do you wish to have children in order to propagate your genes? If not, does it bother you that genes you view as superior will die out?

12) Any good reads on the subject of psychopathy you have picked over the years. I read The prince, some De Sade and much of the Satanic bible which are at least partly about psychopathy. Any other suggestions? Although I would not personally engage in amoral behavior (except for with amoral people) I still find the subject fascinating. Extreme positions are often insightful for me, even when they fail to convince me of the main points.

13) I appreciate your answers. Does it make any difference to you whether I say this or not?

14) You say that psychopathy is superior. I take it you mean as a whole rather than every part of it. For instance do you wish you did not find the torture of others pleasurable? I understand that it is a source of pleasure and we wish to maximize pleasure, but it has no other utility does it? What if this source of pleasure could be replaced with another source of pleasure that is considered appropriate (not that it can, just hypothetically). Then you could engage in it freely. In light of this, would you rather you did not find the torture of others pleasurable?

10) This question isn't really going anywhere constructive so let's move on from it.
11) This question was a strawman, nowhere did I ever suggest that my genes were superior, so again I'll move on from it.
12) I rarely read much on myself as it always arrives at the same conclusion. Some parts are correct, some parts are not, although i will attend talks on it.
13) No not at all. If anything bothered me I would not be here.
14) I say that my factor 1 psychopathic traits tend to be superior, and people like me.
A factor 2 grouping I would view as being the opposite, as they generally have drug problems. I base superiority on economic income, educational background, intelligence, wealth and generally status, and ours is generally well above the average, and this is according to psychiatric journals, not me. The rest of this question again relates to question 10. I could take the time to make up a realistic lie if I chose to but that would defeat my purpose of being here, so again, I'll just decline to answer on that one.

As per your assurance that you would not be offended, I didn't hold back my questions and opinions here.

I wear different "personality packs', depending on each situation, as this is more comfortable to others rather than "blank" me, which I've learned makes people uncomfortable. I've learned to stop my "reptilian stare", and delete any social media photos, and always check them to see if I have that particular gesture, or any other gestures common to what I am, as it may well attract the attention of another like me, we can tell another one.

Not sure if you're aware of this but even NTs have "personality packs". They just tend to use them naturally, whereas someone like you or a person on the spectrum would do so with full knowledge of it.

LMGTFY
Having low empathy I don't see as being a problem. I wouldn't change it for the world. I guess that's where we differ. I've succeeded where others have failed. I just can't see that as being a problem.
I can see from what you've read that you're also applying a cookie cutter opinion on what psychopaths are, while we do have some common traits we different radically in actions. Although we can generally tell another, at least I can tell another psychopath from a sociopath or what I classify them to be. We have some common facial expressions at certain times that are a dead giveaway for starters.

Curious, from what you know about us, what do you think about us?
When I say us, I don't mean Jeffrey Dahmer or someone.
Usually I'm very very well liked and people find me funny and charming and I can work a room.

Low empathy isn't necessarily a problem. If you are not interested in having relationships, this would mean that you are enjoying its benefits without feeling the brunt of its (social) disadvantages.

I do disagree on how charming you are, however. Perhaps it's because you wish to trigger certain reactions (you are manipulative, aren't you?) here, but based on the words you've chosen and your replies, you're not really here for an exchange of information, rather, it appears you wish to know more about us for you gain while dismissing queries aimed at you. More of this observation below.

Thanks so much that's the answer I wanted to hear. Oddly, the Aspergers people I met, I seemed to like, which I find odd, as rarely feel that way. I also granted them a degree of trust which I would never do to others, and didn't realise why I was doing it. I think perhaps that because I thought they had less empathy I trusted them not to make emotionally dumb decisions. Might I add, what are NT's?
Do you mean "normals"? (That's what we call regular people in the psychopathy forums).
I also noticed my original subject heading containing the word psychopath was erased... I'm guessing it's not a popular word.

NT -- a quick Google search would remedy this. You've mentioned that you had high intellect. If so, it may be best to do some basic research on your chosen topic (in this case, autism) in order to support that fact and move things along efficiently.

Is there drama here? I see none. Is that how you feel, and this is dramatic to you?
I don't care if I am perceived as being scary, however, it's inconvenient as people will give a dishonest answer rather than a constructive one, so i'd prefer people don't perceive me that way. I can't see how I've gone out of my way to be scary, in fact I've said the opposite, suggesting that I have non violent traits and we're not all serial killers. Once I've identified as what I am, I suppose there's little room to be seen as anything otherwise to some. :)
As for secrecy. Well, how many psychopaths do you know who are open about it? I have a very strong natural instinct not to allow others to find out. A few psychiatrists know about me, and a neurologist but that's about it, I'd just prefer to keep it that way. Largely this exercise is I wanted to know more about Aspbergers people to see if we had common ground..or something.
But it's been an interesting exercise and I've learned a few things. So I appreciate your time.
I don't think we are as interesting to you as you are to us.. thanks again.

Additionally, there are benefits to "playing the game" and being polite or choosing how to respond fittingly within a group. It's not just about not being scary or being percieved as a serial killer, rather, it's about coming off as unpleasant.

Even faced with solid logic, people often prioritize emotions and experiences. Most, if not all, work towards their happiness, whatever the definition of that may be. In that regard, it would be difficult to sell yourself as such and then expect a constructive exchange of information.

Drama or no, basically, you're doing yourself a disservice by coming off as abrasive even among others who have low empathy. Take that as you will.

That's ok. Actually I'm not really into being offended, so there's really no need to say sorry :)
I spoke to one psychologist one time who refused to use the word "psychopath". I asked her why, and she said it "stigmatizes", us. I replied that she's probably not a very good psychologist and should consider another career path given that she doesn't realise that it doesn't bother me or any of us whatsoever. Stigma and offence are irrelevant. The concept of standing there, then making offended facial expressions because someone has said something nasty seems really quite ridiculous, although having said that, I've done it plenty of times when need be.

You said "--As for secrecy. Well, how many psychopaths do you know who are open about it? I have a very strong natural instinct not to allow others to find out ---" but then mention a negative opinion of your psychologist when she said it stigmatizes you and that it is irrelevant. Which is it?

A stigma means people have negative perceptions of you and would react accordingly. If you are truly not bothered by this, then why have such a strong reaction to the word (stigma)? Does it not logically apply to you?

The biggest common factor is our ability to read people to an extreme extent and figure them out. I can figure out what causes a person pleasure or pain in a very short period of time, their desires, I can tell if they're lying, I can tell what they really want.

Not having an emotional veil cloud one's judgement often helps with an analysis of others' behavior. I imagine the average NT would find it more difficult to process this as more unspoken social rules influence their natural behavior. That said, if you are able to figure out the mood of a room, or work it as you mentioned, then a reevaluation of your exchanges here on this thread may shed light as to why you've gotten negative reactions out of some.

Again, it's not about appearing as a threatening individual.

1)
8) I don't have a large enough sample sized of dealing with other psychopaths to know, but moral people are easy to manipulate, especially the religious or the politically inclined, whether that be far left or far right.

Because they're nothing but predictable. However, how do you decide whether you should or should not? You seem to have some set moral boundaries as you've gone out of your way to explain you've no intent to kill anyone, but how do you arrive at a decision whether to take advantage of a person or not?

Is it purely for self gain? Self gain until such a point where it can be traced back to you? Self gain until you would have need to harm others? Or, do you have other people you consider as part of your circle and also consider their safety/well-being when manipulating others?

10) This question isn't really going anywhere constructive so let's move on from it.
11) This question was a strawman, nowhere did I ever suggest that my genes were superior, so again I'll move on from it.

14) I say that my factor 1 psychopathic traits tend to be superior, and people like me.
A factor 2 grouping I would view as being the opposite, as they generally have drug problems. I base superiority on economic income, educational background, intelligence, wealth and generally status, and ours is generally well above the average, and this is according to psychiatric journals, not me. The rest of this question again relates to question 10. I could take the time to make up a realistic lie if I chose to but that would defeat my purpose of being here, so again, I'll just decline to answer on that one.

I too am curious about your views on relationships and family. Are you interested in having children? You mentioned the relative success of those who exhibit factor 1 psychopathic traits. That said, if your genes were passed on, do you think it will be an advantage or a disadvantage for your offspring?

As per your assurance that you would not be offended, I didn't hold back my questions and opinions here.

Protip: they never mean that. It's just a powertrip. For NTs, psychopaths, narcissists, maybe all allistics.

Reading newspaper articles over the years. It could be that the sample I read was not representative of the whole, and my perception is flawed although I doubt it. Would rather do other things than research this right now. May one day.

Because it is not true. I don't know where you got your data, but I'd guess it's from the earliest speculations when a shooting spree happens. Those are almost always incorrect. More thorough research show that having a disability makes you less likely to be violent, not more.

11) You used the word 'upgrade', I see now. Psychopathy is an upgrade. Psychopaths are more likely than non-psychopaths to have psychopath offspring. Psychopaths are more likely to have upgraded offspring. For all x if x has a higher chance of having upgraded offspring x has superior genes. Therefore psychopaths have superior genes. Do you see anything wrong with that line of reasoning?

15) Do you personally want children? Do most psychopaths want children?

16) I will refrain from asking questions that you prefer not to answer. Here is a hypothetical situation which should prove the same point without the potential moral backlash. Alan lives in Britain in the fifties and is a homosexual. Engaging in homosexual sex is very pleasing to Alan but it is severely punished if caught and has no other utility besides pleasure. Heterosexual sex on the other hand is just as pleasurable to heterosexuals but it is not frowned upon or punished. There are no moral considerations here, many of us who are not amoral no longer view homosexuality as immoral. Would it have been better for Alan to be a homosexual or a heterosexual? With pleasure as the only concern, was homosexuality not inferior to heterosexuality?

12) I rarely read much on myself as it always arrives at the same conclusion. Some parts are correct, some parts are not, although i will attend talks on it.
13) No not at all. If anything bothered me I would not be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom