• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have developed a fear of driving

It seems very strange to me that your instructor would deny you even took the course and then go into great detail about why he thinks you failed. He has completely undermined his own credibility.

I also have anxiety about driving. My first time behind the wheel I started sobbing because the implications of piloting such a powerful machine were terrifying. Throughout the entire course my instructor was very impatient with me. She would often yell at me to apply the breaks when I already was applying them, so I would apply more pressure and we would stop harshly, so she would yell at me for breaking too fast. :rolleyes:
To be fair though, I was kind of slow picking up on things, and taking verbal directions and talking while constantly scanning my environment was taxing.

I did manage to pass, and got a substantial amount of practice which helped me to feel more confident. That is, until I had an accident while pulling out of a parking stall. That incident shook my confidence and I haven't driven since, though now more because of frequent med adjustments and emotional disregulation moreso than the initial reason.

And I am sorry your instructor didn't respect your space. I have had encounters with touchy cab drivers, and the fact it is in a confined space makes it sooo much worse. I tried reporting these incidents, but I am not sure if anything came of it. It is too difficult to prove such transgressions.

Like I said, I'm a paranoid, nervous wreck. I cannot drive without absolutely freaking out.
How about rewarding yourself for driving some short distance (like a mile or so, or less if you need to) and then gradually increasing it? You know how, all you need to do is practice what you know. And it's very normal to be apprehensive at the start. The instructor didn't help, but remember, you are now The Driver and you are in charge, and that won't happen again.

New Threads

Top Bottom