• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am dipping my toes into classical music now.

Try Igor Stravinsky, Le Sacre du Printemps, The Right of Spring, if you want the "metal" of its time. It caused riots. I saw it as a ballet and it was amazing. Stravinsky's other works, like, The Firebird, are worth a listen. The modern American composer I like is Philip Glass. If you have ever seen the film, Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance, you will hear his composition. A more lyrical American composer is Aaron Copeland; Rodeo, Billy the Kid, Appalacian Spring. I like his incorporation of cowboy and folk song melodies. I think you may like something like Holst's, The Planets. It starts out massively with Mars, Bringer of War. Then there is perfection: Beethoven. His 9th symphony is stunning. Listening to it live gave me the chills.

I was fortunate to attend the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at their peak with Georg Solti. And near Chicago there is Ravinia Park, where on Summer weekends one could picnic among a rapt and quiet crowd to hear the CSO perform.
The first time I heard The Rite of Spring was when I saw Fantasia when it was released in theaters in 1991. That segment was my favorite part of the movie.

Franz Liszt was basically a rockstar in his time. My favorites are Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart, and Alkan. My favorite performer is Evgeny Kissin but everybody loves Horowitz. Yuja Wang is popular amongst men for reasons apparent upon seeing her.
Liszt was a sex god in his time. He had so many willing groupies.

Another funny fact from my upbringing. I owned a vinyl of Holst’s The Planets, and my New Age mother would complain about the negative energy from that every time I played “Mars, the Bringer of War” around her. It got to the point where my stepfather told me I should consider her sensitive new age feelings before playing that. Forget her and all the rocks the placed around my bedroom to soak up my negative energy.
I hope it was okay to laugh at this story because that really did get a good laugh out of me.
So sorry you had to deal with such weird and horrible family members though.

And thank you for reminding me about Handel!! My favorite classical music is baroque but I love all of it on the right days :)

I am looking for recommendations, hoping somebody here knows enough about the world of modern classical music performers to steer me in the right direction.

A few days ago, I discovered a pianist named Alice Sara Ott who is absolutely brilliant, but she did come down with MS which is a tragedy.

I am looking for other performers like her.

Or anybody else you wish to recommend. Something more metal, for starters. Some classical music was the metal of its time.
My taste in classical tends toward baroque. Handel, Lully, Telemann, Mozart, Bach, and the like. It has an underlying power and a precision to it that I find appealing, and it sounds surprisingly modern. The Walter/Wendy Carlos take with synthesizers is good. I once found a great rendition of Bach's Minuet in G on the harpsichord (like it should be) played by (brace yourself) Willie Nelson. Wagner is good, and yeah, it does sound heavy metal now that you pointed it out. You might also want to check out Gustav Holst, "The Planets."

Maybe you want to try something a little different, a Dane. Agnes almost made me cry a couple of times and I never cry, she's just outstanding.

Try Igor Stravinsky, Le Sacre du Printemps, The Right of Spring, if you want the "metal" of its time. It caused riots. I saw it as a ballet and it was amazing. Stravinsky's other works, like, The Firebird, are worth a listen. The modern American composer I like is Philip Glass. If you have ever seen the film, Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance, you will hear his composition. A more lyrical American composer is Aaron Copeland; Rodeo, Billy the Kid, Appalacian Spring. I like his incorporation of cowboy and folk song melodies. I think you may like something like Holst's, The Planets. It starts out massively with Mars, Bringer of War. Then there is perfection: Beethoven. His 9th symphony is stunning. Listening to it live gave me the chills.

I was fortunate to attend the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at their peak with Georg Solti. And near Chicago there is Ravinia Park, where on Summer weekends one could picnic among a rapt and quiet crowd to hear the CSO perform.
Me, too! :)

No one has mentioned the late string quartets of Beethoven. Or Schubert‘s string quartet #14, Death and the Maiden.

I am looking for recommendations, hoping somebody here knows enough about the world of modern classical music performers to steer me in the right direction.
There’s heaps of good suggestions here, but I wanted to recommend something a little different - you seem to be looking for knowledge as much as suggestions. Here are a couple of bbc podcasts that introduce you to snippets of music - you can get an overview of what’s out there and start to figure out what you want to follow up. There is almost always a link to imusic or Spotify on the website.

The Listening service” has all kinds of odd themes (with a pretty wide variety of (usually classical) music in each episode and is the main thing I wanted to post. I can’t think of a better way to learn about classical music than this.

Private passions is a biography podcast with (mostly English) writers/actors/activists etc discussing music that they’re passionate about.

For a detailed look at individual composers, “composer of the week” covers a single composers life over 4 programs

This one might not be metal enough, but you were talking about impressionist music so I’m adding it anyhow. “Night tracks” always has an interesting selection of classical, electronic, and world music, which I find a good way to expand my very fixed musical tastes.

I’m also throwing in Australia’s favourite instrument - less for the actual programs, which are mostly no longer available (but were brilliant and worth searching for) but for the list of 200 instruments of all kinds to inspire anyone whose special interest is music.

Anyone else have favourite radio/podcasts like these?

A few days ago, I discovered a pianist named Alice Sara Ott who is absolutely brilliant, but she did come down with MS which is a tragedy.

Or anybody else you wish to recommend. Something more metal, for starters. Some classical music was the metal of its time.

There’s heaps of good suggestions here, but I wanted to recommend something a little different - you seem to be looking for knowledge as much as suggestions. Here are a couple of bbc podcasts that introduce you to snippets of music - you can get an overview of what’s out there and start to figure out what you want to follow up. There is almost always a link to imusic or Spotify on the website.

The Listening service” has all kinds of odd themes (with a pretty wide variety of (usually classical) music in each episode and is the main thing I wanted to post. I can’t think of a better way to learn about classical music than this.

Private passions is a biography podcast with (mostly English) writers/actors/activists etc discussing music that they’re passionate about.

For a detailed look at individual composers, “composer of the week” covers a single composers life over 4 programs

This one might not be metal enough, but you were talking about impressionist music so I’m adding it anyhow. “Night tracks” always has an interesting selection of classical, electronic, and world music, which I find a good way to expand my very fixed musical tastes.

I’m also throwing in Australia’s favourite instrument - less for the actual programs, which are mostly no longer available (but were brilliant and worth searching for) but for the list of 200 instruments of all kinds to inspire anyone whose special interest is music.

Anyone else have favourite radio/podcasts like these?
Thanks, I was looking for more knowledge but was not entirely sure how to word it.

I am educating myself on classical music for the last five years now finally got Wagner what a clown, To much fantasy opera for me. I like the other German composers much better. Thirty six lectures takes a while.

Yes - Philip Glass is awesome. My favourite is his opera Akhnaten - sung in ancient Egyptian (or an approximation as we don't really know what it sounded like). The Met did a great production of it a few years back and there is also the recording with Paul Esswood as Akhnaten. The drums on this piece (Funeral of Amenhotep): philip glass akhnaten funeral of amenhotep - Suchen Videos

@Metalhead, if you want something “heavy metal”, perhaps try Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. The score calls for artillery. A memorable rendition is the recording by Dorati - they used a real Napoleonic muzzle-loading cannon, dubbed in multiple times. If you listen very carefully at the end of the cannonade you may hear the gun crew laughing.

My brother bought a large amp Bose 901 speakers years ago knocked table over in adjacent apartment when cannon shots went off. years ago.

New Threads

Top Bottom