• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to curb hyperfixation and depression with ASD

Corcky

I am a young adult who is awaiting my second official diagnoses/test for autism spectrum disorder. If that information helps anyone. I am struggling a lot wirh this since I am one who does not present as obviously as others and I am a pro at masking. It feels lonely having no one to talk to or turn to when I am struggling with something I’ve had for my whole life but onlt just recently found a name for. One of my biggest struggles I’ve had since childhood is hyperfixation to an unhealthy extent. To the point where I can only re read certain paragraphs or rewatch certain episodes over and over again and it feels like I want to consume every inch of media for this thing, like I want to literally be one with it. I want to draw for it, listen to music and daydream about it, etc. and when I can’t do those things or when I feel like it’s become too big of an obsession I get extremely depressed and anxious. How can I redirect my thoughts to something more productive and cheer myself up when I find myself hyperfixating too much? Does anyone else have this problem as well? It’s affecting my daily mood and my enjoyment of other things very badly. I even couldn’t get excited about a new job because I was too upset I couldn’t pursue my hyperfixation further than I already have. Any help or advice or even just your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.
-✌️

What you are experiencing comes under the umbrella of what the diagnostic statistical manual (DSM) would call, "repetitive behaviors" and this is often due to our neurochemistry where there is an imbalance of excitatory-to-inhibitory neurotransmitters. In this case, too much excitatory neurotransmitters, too little inhibitory neurotransmitters. A common issue. We exhibit it in different ways, from "stimming" to "special interests" to OCD-like behaviors to our daily routines. If put to productive use, we can quickly become knowledgeable experts in whatever topic perks our interest, and better yet, it can be focused into an actual career. On the other hand, those intrusive thoughts can be quite disruptive, as you point out.

The best way for me to kick myself out of that pattern is to "distract" my brain with other activities, topics of study, etc. I have the advantage of having the sort of job that requires a high degree of focus, so in this situation, I have to put my special interests and intrusive thoughts onto "the back burner".

You have to have a level of self-control and discipline to push those thoughts aside when it is appropriate and focus on what you need to do in the moment.

Other than that, I like to use L-theanine (200-400mg/day) and N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) (1000mg/day). Beyond that, you're looking at medications.

I know this sounds simplistic but considering your age you may, to some extent at least, grow out of it. Your life has been one way and will likely change and you with it.

If put to productive use, we can quickly become knowledgeable experts in whatever topic perks our interest, and better yet, it can be focused into an actual career.
This was certainly true for me. My trade (printing) required a high degree of mechanical aptitude as well as aptitude for physics, chemistry and maths. It became my special interest for many years which of course meant I quickly became one of the most talented and knowledgeable in my field. This in turn meant I could get work anywhere I wanted and that I was in high demand, well paid and well looked after.

The job also kept me incredibly fit which doesn't do you any harm when looking for a girlfriend. :)

It sounds as though you might be struggling to be a part of another person or people emotionally. I would suggest not being emotionally involved or try to deal with others problems as this can easily trigger an episode on your end. Change things by turning your attention back into what you can control in a healthier way before your struggles consume you too far for your own good and for the good of others. Have you got hobbies or something that you’d like to pursue?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom