• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How did you get diagnosed?

I have always been aware of that fact that I think differently than other people & expressing that has often been to my social detriment. In my early school years I did not know 'how' to learn & despite having a high IQ (found out later) my academic results were poor until later high school when it all suddenly made sense and we got to study physics & chemistry which were interesting & easy.

I had heard about Aspergers, but knew absolutely nothing about it until I recently read a fiction book titled 'The Rosie Project'. The central character is an AS genetics professor and while he has every symptom to a high degree (partly for literary effect I suspect), I found that by half-way through the book I could totally identify with everything about the way he lived his life. I began researching Aspergers online and found the online tests. The first one at http://www.aspergerstestsite.com indicated that I was AS with a score of 40 out of 50 (most likely aspie). My first thought was 'rubbish' & then did the empathy quotient test thinking that would negate the first one as I a VERY empathetic person. Well, I got 15 out of 80 on that one (just above a psychopathic serial killer).

Everything I read compounded the initial suspicion of AS including the more extensive test at Aspie Quiz

Finally, I decided that self-diagnosis was never going to satisfy me & I decided to consult a clinical psychologist. It is apparently more difficult to diagnose older adults as they have learned coping strategies over time.

1. What type of professional did you see? Clinical Psychologist.
2. How many visits and total hours did it take? About 4 hours.
3. How long was the process from first visit to diagnosis? 4 weeks.
4. How was the assessment done? Discussion, interaction with objects
5. In what country was it done? Australia.
6. How much did it cost? $1000

Result - Aspie!

Still coming to terms with that even I no am longer in denial - it just seems that I've been ripped-off even though I would not give up any of my positive aspie traits o_O

I always had trouble making friends and been a little different. My mom heard a story on the radio about aspergers and asked me if it sounded like me and it absolutely did. Neither of us had heard about aspergers before that. I like many people thought autism was basically those kids who have it and don't function on there own very well. I spoke with my doctor about it. She sent me to get tested At psychologist in my area. I was only 16 at the time about to be 17 so when I spoke with the psychologist, it was an adolescent psychologist who, I felt did not really talk to me in a way I needed. I was paying to go and talk about random things that had nothing to do with me, my school, my family, or home life. I remember one conversation being about cats. So i went to someone else. They asked my parents questions and my dad told her he wanted me to understand what I had, but he. Didn't understand himself. I understand what aspergers is, how my brain is developed differently and responds to my environment differently,I understand how it relates to me personally and makes me who I am. My dad for a long time after that didn't quite understand. My mom actually told him one day that I was autistic and he was like what?. Eventually I switched my doctor to another. Dr. Apple, he understood aspergers and me! He. Had me tested again for aspergers, ADD, and something else. It was something that effects how I take in verbal information and can't catch everything very well. Anyways he had me re diagnosed at a psychological testing and Professional counseling center. dr. Flex an is a psychotherapist and neuroPsychologist who focuses on Psychological and neuropsychological testing for a range testing needs and ages. After this test I had to return to my family doctor to receive my results. We talked about what would be best for me as far as medication. I was going to him for several years until he moved away. This year we had to find me a new doctor, but so far I haven't gotten to know her well enough to tell if she really understands aspergers and how it affects everyone differently and understands me. I hope she does. For me trying to receive the diagnosis when I was in the beginning of high school was hard. I was almost and adult and most information for aspergers pertains to children. I was at a point where I needed to be treated as an adult but was legally still a kid. It want to be diagnosed, good luck and hope you don't have issues finding someone to understand you because of your age. I also hope you can find help you need early enough to allow you to make friends better than I did in school.

I was diagnosed at age 2 but I didn't find out at age 11 when I went to the guidance counselor because I was two years away from secondary school and I was getting stressed a bit. the biggest secret my mum has been keeping from me.

New Threads

Top Bottom