• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

purpleforest

Hi,

I was dx'ed with ASD as an adult maybe about 8 years ago now. But tbh, it's been very obvious to me my whole life that I have ASD. I stuck out at school like a sore thumb. I was bullied senseless and I just didn't and don't get social interaction. I don't know what to say and when. It comes so effortlessly to most people, I find it SO frustrating! The social isolation is probably the biggest effect my ASD has on me. I'm extremely quiet, like weirdly - it freaks people out! But as I say, I don't know what to say so... Small talk grrrr!!! I guess other effects though would be hypersensitivity to things, like particularly touch. I hate being touched. My sister says I walk round with like a 'neon' sign tattooed on my forehead saying 'don't touch me' haha because it's that obvious! Ah well, such as life! Anyway, that's a bit about me and my background. It'd be great to hear from some of you about yourselves too.

1703083326121.png

Hi there

I was officially diagnosed in 2019 and sort of similar to yourself as a child. In fact, I had no idea how to play with others and would like on with both fascination and loneliness.

I hate to be touched too and married to a man who is the complete opposite. I tend to cringe when he touches my skin, which upsets him, as I suppose it would.

Nice to meet you. The sensory issue for alot of us rates high. Smell, touch, scratchy material on clothes, food textures, just general states of irritation. It can get worst too.

Glad to have you with us, @purpleforest

While I am undiagnosed, I get what you mean when comes to small talk. Even my Uncle says it's easy. But it's a halacious task to just engage him in any regaurd. He isn't mean. He isn't judging. But he doesn't exactly see how small talk is such a struggle.

I've not ever been someone that's adverse to touch. In fact I like being touch alot. Though I have tried to get myself past the initial taste/textures of some food. I have been successful with beets and olives. Though stuff like cake and ice cream mixed together is very off putting.

Anyway. I hope you enjoy your time here and can learn from us, as much as we will from you~

Welcome, Im with you on the hate being touched thing lol. There are a lot of awesome people here from all walks of life.

Hello and welcome!

I need to get one of those. Any recommendation on where to pick one up? (Joke. :blush: )
Haha! I'll send one right over! I'm sure they must do them on Amazon! :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It's been nice meeting you all. It's nice knowing I'm not alone. I think being hypersensitive to things like touch whether liking being touched or not liking it I think is really common. But it's one of the things (sensitivities) people don't really understand about ASD I find. They just think it's all a communication issue, if they have any idea at all.

I hate being touched. My sister says I walk round with like a 'neon' sign tattooed on my forehead saying 'don't touch me' haha because it's that obvious!
I literally have a t shirt that says "Don't touch me I'm autistic " I found it on Amazon!

Also hate the feeling of clothing, so when I'm not in public, I'm naked unless it's too cold. I hate cold worse than I hate being all wrapped up in cloth.

Welcome!

I'm not too familiar with other forms of touching, but being unexpectedly tapped on the shoulder will cause me to jump and possibly become upset.

Welcome!

I'm not too familiar with other forms of touching, but being unexpectedly tapped on the shoulder will cause me to jump and possibly become upset.
Handshakes, hugs, cashiers touching my hand when they give me change, people putting their hands on my shoulder or arm.

Handshakes, hugs, cashiers touching my hand when they give me change, people putting their hands on my shoulder or arm.

Thanks for the reminders.

I don't think I encounter any of those much at all - handshakes are usually limited to social events, hugs even rarer, and I seldom use cash.

Most common form of contact for me is probably when I'm on a train or bus, given that sometimes they can be full contact sports. If I'm not in a rush and a train or bus is packed I'll often opt to wait for the next one and hope it's not as full.

New Threads

Top Bottom