• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi! I'm UFO

UFO

Hi.

I choose to be called as UFO in this forum. That was my first nickname I can remember. It was not one of those friendly nicknames. It was an insult nickname. When I asked why other kids called me that, they answered "because you speak weirdly". I don't remember if they referred to my tone of talking, or to subjects of my interest. Most likely to latter one, as I don't think I have ever had so-called "autistic intonation", but I did had an interest on computers and programming when I was seven years old. And I did rather read encyclopedias than children's books (I have a vague memory of finding phone book's yellow pages interesting as well, but I can't say for sure if I ever actually read even a single page of it).

I don't know if I am really autistic, I just suspect it (this is an important difference between concepts to me). I have never been properly diagnosed, and my meetings with mental health care professionals at adult age are limited to generic ones who have just said that "you do score high with Sacha Baron-Cohen tests" (Sacha-part is meant to be a joke).

Actual diagnosis comes very expensive at private sector, and by my opinion, public sector should be reserved for a people with a real need - so I am not going to get myself diagnosed any more at this age (almost 50 years old). But I was sent twice to child psychiatrists for a problem behavior in kindergarten. Not sure about exact problems, but apparently I had aggressive bursts, and psychiatrists never noticed anything like that during their sessions. That was very early 80s, and the things in "Rainman" were about everything that was known about autism, so no wonder if they found nothing to diagnose back then.

I have some of symptoms that are common to autistic people:

Constant poor choices of words, and lack of understanding of other people's emotions. These two have been most obvious to me through my life, as I have an uncanny ability to piss people off whenever I slip from a formal way of speaking. It feels like I really can't express my own feelings, give any criticism to anyone, or tell my opinion about things, without risking a meeting with HR.

Add on that some ritualistic behavior, lack of eye contact, both inability and lack of interest to keep up lasting human relationships...

But many neurotypicals can have all these symptoms as well. And there are alternative diagnoses available: My favorite is Schizoid Personality Disorder. Except that I do not express emotional coldness. It is more like that I express emotions that I didn't realize that I had at some specific moment.

I also have qualities that make me doubtful if it is autism that could explain those symptoms:

I have read how autistic people describe their meltdowns and importance of their rituals and reactions to changes, and I don't relate to their high degree of discomfort - I don't consider any of my symptoms disabling (except tendency towards miscommunication), and I am open to even permanent changes to my routines (I don't like them, but I can do them).

While I do feel "I'm not going to stand this anymore" (I have a choice) in many situations, I don't think I ever slip to "I can't stand this anymore"-state (I don't have a choice). Not that I have ever tested my tolerance that much during my adulthood. Before that, it is well possible that my bursts of anger have actually been meltdowns when as a child I have had less opportunities to leave situations. I don't know. I don't remember that old things well.

Any way... My reason to sign in to this forum is to try to find some information about myself, and try to figure out how much I can actually relate to people (in sense of scaling things) who actually have a diagnosis. We'll see if I became permanent or active member. It is not typical behavior from me.

(Damn. It is easy to write a wall of text when you just think what you want to tell to make people understand who you are...)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! I hope you find the information and the insight that you are looking for here. Let us know if you have any questions as you settle in.

Hi UFO, Welcome to the forum. I hope you find clarity and support here. From what you've described, well, I sure can relate to plenty of it, and I'm 50 and newly diagnosed. It's a spectrum, so it's a mix and match kind of thing, so no one Autistic person is going to look the same. There is a saying in the autistic community (worldwide) If you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person.

Hi UFO, that thing you wrote about reading the yellow pages, I suddenly remember I did that too - I should have mentioned that when I was evaluated :) - interest in computer programming, I was programming on paper years before my family got a computer :) I'm also of the generation where Rainman was what the public knew about autism, I'm happy the world has moved on! - anyway I don't think it is too late to be diagnosed, self-diagnosis or officially, the knowledge is what is important - welcome to this forum :)

I really can't express my own feelings, give any criticism to anyone, or tell my opinion about things, without risking a meeting with HR.
That is the way of the world for everyone. Autistic folks are more vulnerable to this. They don't always know the secret rules for how to do these things without getting in trouble.

welcome to af.png

Welcome, ufo. I wouldn't have wanted to use my first insult nickname. Yours is at least cool.

Welcome @UFO.
I was diagnosed in my fifties.
It's good to know and better to understand yourself, I found.

Thanks to all for welcoming messages.

interest in computer programming, I was programming on paper years before my family got a computer :) I
My first computer was bought as used, so there came a lot of games with it. Some of games were written in BASIC and I got fascinated about how little changes could have massive effect to the game (like crashing it). So I got an BASIC instruction manual and just began to figure out things. Screw the games, its 0x7F character lives that is the thing.

anyway I don't think it is too late to be diagnosed, self-diagnosis or officially, the knowledge is what is important - welcome to this forum :)
I have some principled issues accepting self-diagnosis on psychological matters based on Bachelors Degree of Electrical Engineering -level of education... But yeah, I don't have much doubts about me being on the spectrum, it is just matter of formal qualifications to claim such thing. Pedantry is one of my flaws.

They don't always know the secret rules for how to do these things without getting in trouble.
Yes. It seems that almost all phrases are considered jovial in one situation, and insulting in other situation. Very same phrases, word to word.

Trying to avoid problems by asking myself "How would I react if someone talks to me like this?" results an answer "I don't see any problem there". Aaaand then a disaster is about to happen.

One thing I always keep forgetting is that old experiences pass on to new situations: If I have had a conflict with a person before, at next conversation he/she might expect me to be heading towards a conflict again, and starts to interpret situation accordingly. Things like that add too many moving parts to social interactions.

Welcome, ufo. I wouldn't have wanted to use my first insult nickname. Yours is at least cool.
Yes. I find it actually fitting, and rationale of bullies using it were actually sound and fact-based. If they wanted to trigger me, they should have chosen less fitting and more untrue word (which they eventually did, of course).

Hi UFO welcome I am new on here too and your story is similar to mine I got my official diagnosis recently in my mid 40s but I've always thought although I can manage with some things many asd individuals struggle with like change etc I can still do them even if they are a challenge,I do really rely and hsve made it a benefit to my life my reliance on structure and routine as its helped me both in work and study

Glad to have you with us, @UFO

Yes. It seems that almost all phrases are considered jovial in one situation, and insulting in other situation. Very same phrases, word to word.

Trying to avoid problems by asking myself "How would I react if someone talks to me like this?" results an answer "I don't see any problem there". Aaaand then a disaster is about to happen.

One thing I always keep forgetting is that old experiences pass on to new situations: If I have had a conflict with a person before, at next conversation he/she might expect me to be heading towards a conflict again, and starts to interpret situation accordingly. Things like that add too many moving parts to social interactions.

That's the tricky thing about the NT world of socail interaction. There are variables that make everything confusing.

Sarcasm, Injokes, Playful Prodding, Small Talk, etc.

Small talk is a especially tricky one. Even I am tripped up by it. Something about it just seem pointless. Logic tells me it's not worth talking about. But to NTs, it looks like I am not interested in the world around me. Maybe I am. Maybe I am not.

At the end of the day, it's all about a disconnect in logics. The world of NTs and the world of NDs(all of us) are different in alot of ways.

New Threads

Top Bottom