• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi! Aspie girl with lifelong music obsession, also maths and other stuff

Hi I'm a self-diagnosed aspie. I find these introductions so awkward as I had so many doubts about my own opinion on this. I ended up basically developing anxiety at the end of my third year at uni, but I know this is the root cause and fortunately now have a fellow aspie friend who agrees with my opinion on it. I plan to get diagnosed anyway, that's all that I'm trying to say.

Okay that's the worst bit over with, now I'll properly introduce myself! I am a less-than-devoted but thoroughly obsessed classical musician, and the reason I put it like that is my impossibly high standards have put me off of practising yet pieces like Balakirev's Islamey are so incredibly fun to play that I keep coming back! I have held a piano scholarship with an incredible teacher for several years and somehow he still wants me although I should practice more...Well I shouldn't complain. My dream has for the last 5-6years been to get my undergrad degree in maths with music and then study for two masters in maths and piano performance, at a university and conservatoire respectively, and I am now quite far into it as I have completed my degree and am going into a maths masters. While there's always the chance I'll find it difficult to keep going, I hope that with the metaphorical support of Yuja Wang, currently the only musician whose music I find hits the spot, I'll make it a fantastic year.

I don't really think of myself as just having one obsession though, they come and go as I'm sure many of you find. I'm trying to encourage my current obsession of computing and coding etc, so far I have been through half the cplusplus online tutorials and written programmes as I went along, as well as reading the A2 computing book and I also want to go through tutorials for making/moderating games using unreal engine in C++. But I only got into this about 6 weeks ago so it really is me trying to make this last.

In case this message is basically screaming "I am uncomfortable!" at you, I'll give you the reasoning which is my landlord has basically forced building work on us just when I was getting away from noisy family, so now I get people messing up the house constantly here. So it's making me very distractable and self-conscious.

The guy whistles. In my house. Maybe I'll just edit this to sound better when they're gone but you can see the problem.

Welcome :) your intro is fine. I am currently also a self-diagnosed Aspie but am now trying to get a formal diagnosis

Welcome :) your intro is fine. I am currently also a self-diagnosed Aspie but am now trying to get a formal diagnosis
Thanks :) we're in the same boat, I feel like I should be pursuing it more than I should now though. I had a pretty negative reaction from GPs when I started looking for help which really started because anxiety. I mean they saw that I was very anxious, but for everything else I tried to talk about I got either a blank wall or dismissal on the basis that "everyone gets that sometimes". So now my mind goes blank when I try and talk about this stuff and I've been avoiding seeing anyone more about it, but I'm determined to be more positive now. Because I present as fairly normal(though it feels unnatural) tests usually come out as moderately aspie but I do also have some noise and touch sensitivity which not many people I know relate to.

Hi & Welcome,
I like classical too, as backround music to some hobby activities. I find it helps my mind focus is calming but also inspirational at the same time.

New Threads

Top Bottom