• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, Sweeties

RiverSong

Spoilers
The name's RiverSong. Well, not really but I'm a fan of the Doctor and figured why not go with a fun username. I'm in my late twenties and I've suspected for some time now that I may have Aspergers.

I went to see my GP recently about getting a diagnosis. But I was told that since I'm in such a small town, there aren't any resources available here. The closest option would be the next state over, which isn't really an option for me. So, here I am undiagnosed and still wondering.

I figured why not reach out and say hi on an Aspie forum to see if I can get some more insight about the spectrum.

So, hello. :)

I definitely have to go with the Tenth Doctor. David Tennant's amazing. I'm not too sure about the next since Capaldi is leaving. It would be an interesting change if the next Doctor is a woman but I don't know. I'm just hoping that whoever they cast will be a great fit for the role.

welcome.png

shalom
liked the eleventh- peter capaldi is slightly innacurate as a time lord .
just want the very eccentric character
if you dont want welfare benefits nothing changes after diagnosis
youll be correct ,why be pigeonholed

Greetings!

We have a corner dedicated to Doctor Who. Figurines on the shelf are ordered chronologically. Series marathons are held every Saturday night.

giphy (23).gif

hi riversong,welcome to AC,hope you enjoy it with us!

being diagnosed just gives you a definite idea as to what drives your brain but you know yourself what your like,just research a lot into it and see what you relate to and dont relate to.

what interests do you have? do you have any likes/dislikes?

hi riversong,welcome to AC,hope you enjoy it with us!

being diagnosed just gives you a definite idea as to what drives your brain but you know yourself what your like,just research a lot into it and see what you relate to and dont relate to.

what interests do you have? do you have any likes/dislikes?
Yeah, I would really like to know one way or the other. I don't like having that uncertainty at the back of my mind. I've been researching and reading a lot about it. I recently got Tony Attwood's The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome and it's a real eye-opener. I hadn't realized how much of my childhood experiences could be explained by Aspergers.

I identify with many of the traits even though I have tried to work on a lot of things as an adult. I still struggle with things like eye contact, talking and reading people, etc. So I'm thinking that I lean more towards the Aspie end than the Neurotypical side of things.

As far as interests go, I love computers and coding. I'm currently trying to teach myself JavaScript and PHP. I've loved computers since I was 5. I like all things tech and steampunk. I like gaming and reading sci-fi and classics. I already mentioned Doctor Who but I'm also into Star Trek, The Walking Dead, Lord of the Rings, and loads more. For dislikes, I have too many to name.

Hello and welcome RiverSong. Here is a place where you can take many tests if you want to diagnose yourself. It won't be official, but may help you with peace of mind and give you a better idea of how to move forward.

Aspie tests

Ha, while I was typing this you mentioned that Spock is on your desk. LLAP.

Hi Riversong, welcome to AC. So many members like Doctor Who, and I've only recently begun watching it. I like it so far, was a Trekkie long before it became popular and do like the Walking Dead, and for most of my life Lord of the Rings.

Hello and welcome RiverSong. Here is a place where you can take many tests if you want to diagnose yourself. It won't be official, but may help you with peace of mind and give you a better idea of how to move forward.

Aspie tests

Ha, while I was typing this you mentioned that Spock is on your desk. LLAP.
Thanks, MrSpock! I've taken a couple of Aspie tests online before but not like the ones you shared. I just went for it and took all of the tests on that site. Wow, that was a lot of work. My results were interesting and kind of all over the place. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

RAADS-R: 165
FQ: 38
AQ: 32
EQ: 15
SQ: 60
Reading Minds in Films: 12.0 out of 22 in 10.2 seconds
Voices & Faces: 77.0% in 10.4 seconds. Faces: 66.0% Voices: 88.0%
TFIS: 50.0 - Proportionate spontaneous/controlled imagination.

It looks like the RAADS-R and AQ are saying there’s a likelihood I could have Aspergers. I've gotten a similar result on past online tests, so I'm not too shocked there. I’m surprised I scored so low on the EQ test though. I mean, ouch... That one kinda hurts.

The FQ score actually makes perfect sense since I've never been the best in the friendship department. But the other tests have me stumped. I’m not sure if I scored okay or not okay. It’s sort of hard to tell.

You scored higher than I on the EQ, I got 13... but I'm sure that I can be very empathetic, more so than most people. I think maybe it has to do with our ability to read what others are feeling as opposed to being able to feel along with them once we know what they are feeling. Perhaps it is to do with how much other people's feelings affect us on a continual basis, passing strangers in the street etc. as opposed to having empathy for those we know well and care about or for some reason feel a connection with. I usually operate without much interference from emotion but certainly sometimes am more affected by emotion than most people.

Hopefully someone who knows more about the EQ will enlighten us, it was a surprise for me for sure.

Hi Riversong, welcome to AC. So many members like Doctor Who, and I've only recently begun watching it. I like it so far, was a Trekkie long before it became popular and do like the Walking Dead, and for most of my life Lord of the Rings.

They film Doctor Who in my city :cool:

You scored higher than I on the EQ, I got 13... but I'm sure that I can be very empathetic, more so than most people. I think maybe it has to do with our ability to read what others are feeling as opposed to being able to feel along with them once we know what they are feeling. Perhaps it is to do with how much other people's feelings affect us on a continual basis, passing strangers in the street etc. as opposed to having empathy for those we know well and care about or for some reason feel a connection with. I usually operate without much interference from emotion but certainly sometimes am more affected by emotion than most people.

Hopefully someone who knows more about the EQ will enlighten us, it was a surprise for me for sure.
Well, I think I'm an empathic person. I just tend to live in my head the majority of the time and my emotions don't often rise to the surface for others to see. But I do care. I just have a different way of showing it.

For example, I'm not the type of person who will ask someone how they're feeling just for the sake of asking. I find that pointless. But whenever I see someone is troubled or in distress then I'll ask how I can help or I do something to help.

I can usually pick up on people's emotions. Like if someone is having a bad day at work, I can tell that they may be upset. But I'm the type of person that if I don't know the individual that well then I don't pry into their personal business. I figure, why bother the person by asking what's wrong and possibly making them more upset. I don't like to be bothered when I'm upset, so I think that others feel the same way.

I've only recently realized that this isn't the case with the majority of people. o_O

I don't know how I missed the memo but, apparently, most people like to be asked how they're doing/feeling. They like to talk about their emotions or what's troubling them. Me, not so much unless I see a point to it or it's with someone I've known very well for years. And even then, I still tend to stay in my head.

So, I can see how I might be perceived as not having as much empathy as others. I think I look at it as I'm just more reserved in what emotions I'm willing to share.

New Threads

Top Bottom