• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, Im new here.

Hi Nick! :)
You have some really cool hobbies! And that is a really nice introduction. ………….
I’m looking forward to getting to know you more! :)
- Luca

Thankyou Luca for your nice message.
It took me a while to get to this introduction. Im not so good telling a short story about myself. But im glad everyone says it is good written.

i am also interested in cultures in general, not that i want to know everything to the detail. But yeah its nice to know how different/similar cultures and countries look like.
Im definitely not good in other languages, i speak dutch, english and i understand some german. I tried to learn some spanish 10 years ago, but i failed at it. (I dont like books)

im still a newby here so i need some time to find all introduction-post, So that i also know a bit about you all here.

Have a good day.

Welcome welcome. Awesome hobby and awesome to see more dutch folk. I'm flemish myself (which is basically dutch anyway) and live right on the border and use the netherlands for many of my nature hikes.

Hi and welcome, it's good that you are here. I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:watermelon::grapes::pear::strawberry::cherries::melon::lemon::tomato:

Welcome! Metal detecting sounds fun - but I live in an area where there isn't too much history of metal objects so I haven't yet tried it. It looks like you have some sestertii in the photo?

Hi Nick!

Nice collection of artifacts you have there! When I was kid I used to hunt for Native American arrowheads and railroad spikes. I still have my collection somewhere, but I don’t know where it is at the moment. Then again, my wife might have thrown my collection out.

I hope you enjoy this forum and make friends!

Hello and welcome, @Henkel! :)

Uncharacteristically I won't say much just now because dead tired and it's bedtime here in Australia. I loved trying to read the Dutch out loud because when I did that I understood exactly what you were saying (I speak English and German and if you can speak those and think about the "accent" you can work out Dutch).

I'm sure you'll have fun here and learn tons. I am! :)

:sleeping: for now.

PS: Did you know Henkel is German for handle? ...but then my husband's name is Brett and that means wooden plank in German. ;)

Hello and welcome, @Henkel! :)

Uncharacteristically I won't say much just now because dead tired and it's bedtime here in Australia. I loved trying to read the Dutch out loud because when I did that I understood exactly what you were saying (I speak English and German and if you can speak those and think about the "accent" you can work out Dutch).

I'm sure you'll have fun here and learn tons. I am! :)

:sleeping: for now.

PS: Did you know Henkel is German for handle? ...but then my husband's name is Brett and that means wooden plank in German. ;)

thankyou for this message. It made me laugh for half a second today.
This is short post cause im overloaded today, well actually for the last 3 years. But lets keep it nice today.
I will read your message tomorrow or in weekend and will reply to all of it.

I haven't studied slingers in detail but can say a little.

They were used by auxilliary troops not the legions proper, and not even by any permanent auxilliary cohorts. But units of them were employed by the romans for quite a long time, particularly late republic and early imperial periods. Say roughly 100 BC to 200 AD. After that they seem to have been replaced by archer units.

Specific to your area we know Caesar used them (Balearic Slingers) in his Gaulic campaign (50's BC) and may have had them in his excursions over the Rhine into Germania. Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD) used Achaian Slingers (Greeks from the Pelonponnese) in his armies. A bit further away Trajan used them in his Dacian wars (101-107 AD). They were also likely used in campaigns between these events, these are just the ones with clear evidence I know of. Btw from the Augustan period three lead slingshot were the first clearly military finds discovered at the Kalkriese site by Tony Clunn, and what really caught the local archeological communities attention.

What's interesting is that they are not thought to be equipment used by garrison troops along the limes but more associated with campaigns and battles.

I am assuming they are lead (?) Where any of the other artifacts found with them?

New Threads

Top Bottom