• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello from Vancouver with Questions

Urbanite

Hi all,

I'm here because I'm doing a bit of research to see if auditory hallucinations and paranoia commonly co-occur with aspergers. I have an (almost) 18 year-old son that suffers from these; he also has a really hard time socially and is pretty grumpy and miserable 90% of the time.

Any input or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I am a psych student undergrad and know some concepts and approaches to abnormal psych, so please don't hold TOO far back on jargon but please be aware that I'll value researched, scientific evidence and proper diagnoses over anecdotal evidence etc.

Thanks!

Hi Urbanite :)

welcome to af.png

Hi Urbanite. Welcome to the forums. I hope you find what you are looking for. I am desperately trying to move to Vancouver! I visit almost every month. Beautiful place :)

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Hi all,

I'm here because I'm doing a bit of research to see if auditory hallucinations and paranoia commonly co-occur with aspergers. I have an (almost) 18 year-old son that suffers from these; he also has a really hard time socially and is pretty grumpy and miserable 90% of the time.

Any input or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I am a psych student undergrad and know some concepts and approaches to abnormal psych, so please don't hold TOO far back on jargon but please be aware that I'll value researched, scientific evidence and proper diagnoses over anecdotal evidence etc.

Thanks!
May I ask do you know any young male NT people who are grumpy and miserable 90% of the time as I've come across both!!!!!!!!!!!! neuro typical !!!!!!!!!!!and neuro diverse who are miserable and grumpy and not miserable and grumpy

Hello Urbanite :) Welcome to the forums! I'm 15 and have Asperger's and don't suffer from hallucinations and paranoia myself, but I found an interesting new-ish article that maybe would help? I don't know, because maybe you've already come across it but I'll attach it anyways because I found it interesting and maybe a few others will too :)

Hallucinations unusually common in adults with autism | Spectrum | Autism Research News

Hi! Thank you so much for that article! It's wonderful that you're so on top of things at your age; many many adults (like me! Haha) aren't even up to that speed so it's even more awesome that you are, and that article helps tons, thank you!!

May I ask do you know any young male NT people who are grumpy and miserable 90% of the time as I've come across both!!!!!!!!!!!! neuro typical !!!!!!!!!!!and neuro diverse who are miserable and grumpy and not miserable and grumpy

Hi Streetwise,

Thanks for your response! Yeah definitely, ASD doesnt need to be present to end up grumpy and miserable as a teenager! (I dont know what NT means?) Appreciate the input!

Those on the autism spectrum are considered neurodiverse.

Hi! Thank you so much for that article! It's wonderful that you're so on top of things at your age; many many adults (like me! Haha) aren't even up to that speed so it's even more awesome that you are, and that article helps tons, thank you!!

That's alright! Glad it helps :)

Welcome to the forums Urbanite. :D

I'm 61, so I've a life time of experience living with being on the spectrum.
I did'nt have paranoia or auditorty hallucinations, but, the comorbid problems of depression
and anxiety disorder have been very vexing since age 13.
They were truly disabling and enough to make me grumpy.

Sensory issues were the most annoying for me that is a common trait for ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom