• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, from RobN, a 35yr/f newly diagnosed in NC

RobN

Hi, I'm RobN. I'm a 35 year old female in the southern triangle area of NC. After struggling and being misdiagnosed since adolescence, I recently became aware of what it actually meant to have Autism/Aspergers a couple of years ago and began to see myself in some of the descriptions I'd come across. I just got officially (and finally, I believe, correctly) diagnosed with an ASD. I've been reading tons of books and have probably watched over a hundred youtube videos trying to educate myself on it. I'm verbal and think I'm considered to be high functioning, however, I'm not currently working, dating, or have any close friends. Even though I am living with my parents, familial relationships are strained and I do not have their assistance (other than financially). So, I am hoping that through this site, and the experience of others, I will gain some much needed support and helpful knowledge and suggestions. My main goal right now is to get to where I can work and make enough money to move out of my parents house and have my own place. I like cats, tiny houses, and adult coloring books.

wigflip-ds.gif

e1dc470020e78884fe4879fac924bb88.jpg

Hello. I like animals, and have had cats, though we haven't got one at the moment. I also took up adult colouring back in the Summer to help channel my obsession with colour.

I left home at 19, went abroad, which was a bit drastic, but I had my reasons at the time. I took live-in jobs, so didn't have to worry about accommodation. The downside of that is, you're on top of the job, so in some places, are vulnerable to being called in on your day off if somebody fails to turn up for work (it didn't happen to me, but it does in some places); and if you get fired, you lose your home as well. Thankfully, that didn't happen either, but it was a close shave in one job.

When I came back to England, I lived in bedsits as I was in low paid work; but at least I was independent. Later, I moved into a flatlet; when I got married, we had a flat initially, then our own house, where we still live. So it can be done, but it's hard. I kept my jobs, but it was a struggle at times; a combination of baggage from a dysfunctional childhood, and my condition, which I didn't know I had as the information was inadequate and inaccurate.

New Threads

Top Bottom