• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having a hard time ignoring stupid people

Libecht

Online social media is in no shortage of close-minded, unreasonable, biased, or simply put, stupid, comments. I know we're supposed to just ignore them and move on, but I just can't get them out of my mind. I used to argue with these people whenever there's a chance, which is obviously very foolish and a waste of time. Fortunately I can now suppress the urge to wrestle a pig in the mud. The problem is, I'd still very triggered and their stupidity stays on my mind for a very long time. Sometimes even a Facebook comment I saw 2 years ago would just pop into my head and ruin the day. "Letting people be wrong" seems to be a lesson I'm still unable to learn yet. Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

I've got the very same problem.
I just CAN'T let it go. I just NEED to explain why what they say is incorect. Some people totally ruin my day and my mood.

I deleted many social media, to keep myself in peace.
I don't read news and media - sometimes there are some cancerous statements, that I need to send an email to the editorial staff (even tho there has never been a reply).

So I don't have much other advice that just deleting social media accounts, avoid all these things and better procrastinate reading about space.

Online social media is in no shortage of close-minded, unreasonable, biased, or simply put, stupid, comments. I know we're supposed to just ignore them and move on, but I just can't get them out of my mind. I used to argue with these people whenever there's a chance, which is obviously very foolish and a waste of time. Fortunately I can now suppress the urge to wrestle a pig in the mud. The problem is, I'd still very triggered and their stupidity stays on my mind for a very long time. Sometimes even a Facebook comment I saw 2 years ago would just pop into my head and ruin the day. "Letting people be wrong" seems to be a lesson I'm still unable to learn yet. Do you guys have any suggestions for me?
Let me restate your question from a different perspective: How do you ignore water when you are caught in a flood? The best advice is to not fight the current, but go with the flow and swim across the current until you can get out. Same here. don't fight it and go with the flow until you can get out. Trying to correct them all is like like swimming against the current; there are too many and you will be overwhelmed. Hope this puts it into perspective and helps.

don’t communicate with humans ,social media (Rules for social media are :you must be amenable to breeding a human ,you must accommodate and agree with people who think their human children are perfect - never say that animals are equal to human children , that is law ,if you only !!!!!!discuss in a positive way animals !)is no different to other forms of media ,it can be worse as people who are cowards suddenly become brave ,If you are not part of the majority in your views or belief you will not feel welcomed anywhere ,Study intensively the characteristics of a social media troll!!!, do not communicate with them at all , realise that any form of social media is not a democracy.

I found a solution to this years ago:

I dont go anywhere near Facebook, Twitter, or any of that gibberish. I wont touch it. Utter waste of time.

And any time some family member squeals at me "But how can we CONNECT with you?!?!?" Maybe use a bloody phone? Send a normal email? Text? I dont need to see pics of every sandwich you eat or whatever other damn stupid thing you're putting on there, and I sure as heck dont want to be exposed to all of the braindead idiocy that the site as a whole is filled with. If you have something you need to tell me that actually has something resembling importance to it... you can send me a bloody text.

Though frankly I just prefer everyone shut up instead of sending me anything at all.

I found a solution to this years ago:

I dont go anywhere near Facebook, Twitter, or any of that gibberish. I wont touch it. Utter waste of time.

And any time some family member squeals at me "But how can we CONNECT with you?!?!?" Maybe use a bloody phone? Send a normal email? Text? I dont need to see pics of every sandwich you eat or whatever other damn stupid thing you're putting on there, and I sure as heck dont want to be exposed to all of the braindead idiocy that the site as a whole is filled with. If you have something you need to tell me that actually has something resembling importance to it... you can send me a bloody text.

Though frankly I just prefer everyone shut up instead of sending me anything at all.
I've actually thought about that. Just like you I don't really care about what other people are doing with their life, but the problem is, I use Facebook as a information-hub (not sure how to phrase it). Basically I follow a lot of pages that I'm interested in, such as news, memes, movie reviews, etc. Sure I can just visit their own page one by one but that's pretty inefficient. Sometimes people make clever or funny comments as well, so I'm also kind of tempted to click on comment section..:oops:

I've actually thought about that. Just like you I don't really care about what other people are doing with their life, but the problem is, I use Facebook as a information-hub (not sure how to phrase it). Basically I follow a lot of pages that I'm interested in, such as news, memes, movie reviews, etc. Sure I can just visit their own page one by one but that's pretty inefficient. Sometimes people make clever or funny comments as well, so I'm also kind of tempted to click on comment section..:oops:

I sorta used to do the same thing, until I realized that not only was it not accomplishing anything, I wasnt REALLY learning much. Unfortunately, everything has become about getting those clicks, to the point where "news" isnt even reliable. Doesnt matter if they get something outright backwards as long as it gets them clicks!

But also, I just found better places. Memes, for instance. Boy do I love memes and cat photos and for some reason pics of creepy dolls (no seriously I have an entire folder dedicated to that). But I found a non-irritating place to go to. I just use Imgur for that stuff. Havent ever seen a better place to do it. Do I want a collection of 50 memes to look at and maybe save into my archive? It's 2 clicks away and there's only funny comments instead of idiotic ones. Seriously, getting to the bottom of a meme dump and seeing hilarious responses is one of the highlights. I dont know how the site manages THAT part, but it does. Other than Youtube, it's my most used site by far. Fast, efficient, hilarious. And you can even post your own content, too. I did that once. Made a big post about twisty puzzles, with loads of photos I took. It made the front page, even. So that was cool.

Hell, even the advertising on that site isnt annoying. Let me repeat that: THE ADVERTISING ISNT ANNOYING. Granted I still use ad-block, but that doesnt work on my phone, when I browse it that way.

It's the same with other stuff. I follow game-industry news... not because I actually buy from the big hideous publishers, but mostly because I find it constantly hilarious. I *could* read IGN or something, but... they're terrible. So I get most of that news from Jim Sterling and YongYea on Youtube. Sterling is hilarious and Yea is thorough and doesnt hold back. MUCH better than using the major sites.

In other words... there are better alternatives. It's just that you have to seek them out. Avoid the "big ones", find the better ones. I guarantee you, somewhere out there, there ARE info-sites/channels/whatever that can give you stuff about your favorite subjects, except with dramatically less of the stupid.

That's what I learned, by forcing myself to stay away from Facebook and the like.

I've never had Facebook. Best decision of my life. Like Misery said, people who need to contact me can call, text, email, mail a letter via USPS, or park their car in my driveway and knock on the door. Life is too short to chase ghosts on the internet. :rolleyes:

I am with you so much, but thankfully never commented, because I know what happens and it would inflame me even more.

I do my best to not even go to places that will cause me to be astounded with their illogical thoughts.

Not sure if this is a fact, but in a couple of Korean dramas, they have "anger rooms" and it is a room filled with things and you can smash to your hearts content. How I would love that.

I follow game-industry news... not because I actually buy from the big hideous publishers, but mostly because I find it constantly hilarious. I *could* read IGN or something, but... they're terrible.

You ever try gameinformer?

What would happen if they changed and were no longer "stupid"? Would anything happen? :eek: You mean it's meaningless? Oh, okay! Maybe that helps! :D

You ever try gameinformer?

They're owned by Gamestop.

So.... nope.

Besides, when I say "follow the news" what I really mean is "all the stupid controversies are hilarious". I wont touch AAA games with a 1000-foot pole, so I'm not exactly interested in reading about individual ones. With how the industry is right now, most info on upcoming major games is deception anyway. I already am well aware that they suck. Game Informer trying to convince me to go buy the newest scam festival from Gamestop isnt going to accomplish much.

They're owned by Gamestop.

So.... nope.

Besides, when I say "follow the news" what I really mean is "all the stupid controversies are hilarious". I wont touch AAA games with a 1000-foot pole, so I'm not exactly interested in reading about individual ones. With how the industry is right now, most info on upcoming major games is deception anyway. I already am well aware that they suck. Game Informer trying to convince me to go buy the newest scam festival from Gamestop isnt going to accomplish much.

There pretty in depth with there reviews. Haven't seen the bias like in other reviewers.

I only use this site.

It's enough.

One thing I have noticed when out there in real life,

Another's lack of understanding or knowledge CAN only irritate me if I let it.
If I'm particularly stressed I find I judge others way too easily.

The times I want to shout 'What the hell is wrong with you ?!' at someone in disbelief or frustration,

Usually means I'm misunderstanding or misreading the other person or situation.

We all have flaws, no one is perfect :)

I sorta used to do the same thing, until I realized that not only was it not accomplishing anything, I wasnt REALLY learning much. Unfortunately, everything has become about getting those clicks, to the point where "news" isnt even reliable. Doesnt matter if they get something outright backwards as long as it gets them clicks!

But also, I just found better places. Memes, for instance. Boy do I love memes and cat photos and for some reason pics of creepy dolls (no seriously I have an entire folder dedicated to that). But I found a non-irritating place to go to. I just use Imgur for that stuff. Havent ever seen a better place to do it. Do I want a collection of 50 memes to look at and maybe save into my archive? It's 2 clicks away and there's only funny comments instead of idiotic ones. Seriously, getting to the bottom of a meme dump and seeing hilarious responses is one of the highlights. I dont know how the site manages THAT part, but it does. Other than Youtube, it's my most used site by far. Fast, efficient, hilarious. And you can even post your own content, too. I did that once. Made a big post about twisty puzzles, with loads of photos I took. It made the front page, even. So that was cool.

Hell, even the advertising on that site isnt annoying. Let me repeat that: THE ADVERTISING ISNT ANNOYING. Granted I still use ad-block, but that doesnt work on my phone, when I browse it that way.

It's the same with other stuff. I follow game-industry news... not because I actually buy from the big hideous publishers, but mostly because I find it constantly hilarious. I *could* read IGN or something, but... they're terrible. So I get most of that news from Jim Sterling and YongYea on Youtube. Sterling is hilarious and Yea is thorough and doesnt hold back. MUCH better than using the major sites.

In other words... there are better alternatives. It's just that you have to seek them out. Avoid the "big ones", find the better ones. I guarantee you, somewhere out there, there ARE info-sites/channels/whatever that can give you stuff about your favorite subjects, except with dramatically less of the stupid.

That's what I learned, by forcing myself to stay away from Facebook and the like.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll start looking for alternatives for those FB pages I follow.
However I believe this is still a important life lesson I must learn, to not care what ignorant people say.

New Threads

Top Bottom