• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have Trouble Eating Alone Sometimes

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
Well, my next to last day in Bangkok and I went out to a restaurant that is doing interesting work with traditional flavors. I had chilis, about like Hatch Chilis, stuffed with crab and pork, cooked in Panang curry. The sweetness of the curry worked magnificently with the flavors and the heat. Then for dessert treated myself to glutinous rice dumplings in a sweet coconut cream with toasted sesame; sorta like rice gnocci, another very nice combination.

Here's the catch. I have worked in different countries and have gotten used to eating alone. Sometimes when I encounter unique and flavorful preparations, I miss dining with somebody that I could share the meal with. I am usually fine alone and that does not stop me from doing things. Yet, I feel a little sad with nobody to experience such cooking with.

Does anybody have analogous situations when you crave being social?

I have read that doing things together creates bonding. So bonding with someone maybe is what you are thinking off? Maybe you especially bond over crazy delicious food? I bond traveling to new places or doing something new. My first date with my spouse was parasail off of the Maui coastline.

I have read that doing things together creates bonding. So bonding with someone maybe is what you are thinking off? Maybe you especially bond over crazy delicious food? I bond traveling to new places or doing something new. My first date with my spouse was parasail off of the Maui coastline.
What an experience!

Eating alone in public. Frankly that's always made me uneasy.

Even in having to travel for work I would usually get fast food and just take it back to my hotel room. Unless of course I ate a meal with some of my fellow employees, all assembled from different branches around the country.

Off the top of my head, I only crave being social when I have something I want to tell someone about, which is usually after work, and also when I take too much Gabapentin.

Well, I much prefer eating with my husband than eating on my own, though eating is good anyway. :) It's because he describes his experience - both like a restaurant critic (he talks about food like you write about it, @Gerald Wilgus), and just with facial expressions and sounds. It's fun eating with someone like that. And yeah, we do bond over food - and the outdoors - and books - and writing - and crazy humour - and art - lots of things. Before I met him, I was OK with being single but really missed the never-before experience of really sharing life with someone. That's something you don't automatically get in a relationship - indeed, the loneliest place in the world isn't on your own, but in the presence of people who don't understand you or relate to you, even if they're family or a BF/GF/spouse.

Off the top of my head, I only crave being social when I have something I want to tell someone about, which is usually after work, and also when I take too much Gabapentin.

I like social close touch, but l don't need to tell anybody anything. I have become antisocial due to some on-going issues. I use to be social but not anymore.

Last edited:
Well, I much prefer eating with my husband than eating on my own, though eating is good anyway. :) It's because he describes his experience - both like a restaurant critic (he talks about food like you write about it, @Gerald Wilgus), and just with facial expressions and sounds. It's fun eating with someone like that. And yeah, we do bond over food - and the outdoors - and books - and writing - and crazy humour - and art - lots of things. Before I met him, I was OK with being single but really missed the never-before experience of really sharing life with someone. That's something you don't automatically get in a relationship - indeed, the loneliest place in the world isn't on your own, but in the presence of people who don't understand you or relate to you, even if they're family or a BF/GF/spouse.
Yep. I have had some nice experiences on this trip but have reached the point where I feel lonely. I just am hoping it does not turn into a slog of waiting to get home. I do not want to go negative, but when I am accosted for whatever reason, a stare and a strong 'get lost', so to speak, is starting to come a little too easily. The land of smiles . . . . my ass. I find New York City friendlier.

It is difficult when you are in a foreign culture, and the people are not friendly. Maybe just make the best of it for one more day without getting in trouble. It sounds like you have had some good experiences otherwise.

Yep. I have had some nice experiences on this trip but have reached the point where I feel lonely. I just am hoping it does not turn into a slog of waiting to get home. I do not want to go negative, but when I am accosted for whatever reason, a stare and a strong 'get lost', so to speak, is starting to come a little too easily. The land of smiles . . . . my ass. I find New York City friendlier.

Culture shock. I did experience it. Good luck. It's different. You kinda got to keep this in mind. Americans aren't always liked due to other bad Americans that were there.

Culture shock. I did experience it. Good luck. It's different. You kinda got to keep this in mind. Americans aren't always liked due to other bad Americans that were there.
Exactly. I remember working in Batamindo, Indonesia, that it took me a month to understand the type of "Yes" I was being told. I guess that when I would work in places as varied as Zagreb, Mexico City, Milan, or Takasaki, I always managed to engage positively with people. Here it is impossible. But in an hour, I will be getting out to my cooking lesson. That will cheer me up.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom