• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Great things have been happening

Dillon

so I have just settled back to campus at Texas A&M 3 weeks ago... I can say things are turning out way way better than my whole first year there. I am meeting many people who are becoming good friends and doing all sorts of things that I never gotten to do with a group of people. I finally have a better roommate since I went through 2-3 awful ones all of last year and me and him are getting along great. I am getting more involved in things such as volunteering out at the community church that’s a few miles away from the university.

The best part came from earlier this week. One of the university marine biology professors is getting me involved in research within the university where I’ll be helping out two of his PH.D students. One of them works with the ecological history of bull sharks and that has been something I’ve been wanting to do for a while, right up my alley. I get to start my research on bull sharks on Tuesday of next week and I can say my adrenaline linaline is pumping just thinking about it.

The bad thing about this semester is the course load taking 5 classes instead of my usual 4 but I’m doing well in them especially in Organic chemistry I was getting worried but it’s not that bad.

Last edited:
You have a good attitude about the workload, tempered by the interest you have in all the research. Good roommate, good social life - sounds balanced to me. Best of luck!

I’m going to be honest on this part but a month before school was starting I was really close to withdrawing/dropping out. I was melting down truthfully telling my parents I was afraid in going back. I wouldn’t stand out to anyone, wouldn’t feel accepted as usual, and not having anyone. Things have been turning around for the better like I have not felt this happy in quite a while.

so I have just settled back to campus at Texas A&M 3 weeks ago... I can say things are turning out way way better than my whole first year there. I am meeting many people who are becoming good friends and doing all sorts of things that I never gotten to do with a group of people. I finally have a better roommate since I went through 2-3 awful ones all of last year and me and him are getting along great. I am getting more involved in things such as volunteering out at the community church that’s a few miles away from the university.

The best part came from earlier this week. One of the university marine biology professors is getting me involved in research within the university where I’ll be helping out two of his PH.D students. One of them works with the ecological history of bull sharks and that has been something I’ve been wanting to do for a while, right up my alley. I get to start my research on bull sharks on Tuesday of next week and I can say my adrenaline linaline is pumping just thinking about it.

The bad thing about this semester is the course load taking 5 classes instead of my usual 4 but I’m doing well in them especially in Organic chemistry I was getting worried but it’s not that bad.

I am so glad this is working out because you were so stressed. You are pretty brave to take so many hard classes. You are going to do great things in this world :)

I’m going to be honest on this part but a month before school was starting I was really close to withdrawing/dropping out. I was melting down truthfully telling my parents I was afraid in going back. I wouldn’t stand out to anyone, wouldn’t feel accepted as usual, and not having anyone. Things have been turning around for the better like I have not felt this happy in quite a while.

I know what you mean here, and this makes me doubly glad that things are working out for you. This makes me happy. :)

That's great to hear! I am envious of your bull shark research! I've never even seen one. Only hammerheads swimming amongst beach goer's in Florida. From quite a distance away (from our hotel's balcony). Nobody even knew the sharks were there, and nobody was injured. Sharks get a bad wrap.

That's great to hear! I am envious of your bull shark research! I've never even seen one. Only hammerheads swimming amongst beach goer's in Florida. From quite a distance away (from our hotel's balcony). Nobody even knew the sharks were there, and nobody was injured. Sharks get a bad wrap.
Since you mentioned Florida a couple years ago there was a survey done on blacktip sharks counting approximately 18,000 bear shore but by March-may of this year the number went down to 4,000. Researchers are saying that many of the sharks are going further north to the Carolinas to cape cod cause of the warming waters due to environmental changes.

Really pleased for you Dillon. I don't have to know you from previously to be pleased to see one of us being happy with their direction :)

Really pleased for you Dillon. I don't have to know you from previously to be pleased to see one of us being happy with their direction :)
I can’t say I’m totally happy but more than I’ve been. I’m just looking at my end goal what I really want out of life and thinking too much before how I’m not like everyone else and stuff like that. Like a friend told me who I met on campus and is also an aspie herself (which is a first to meet) say that you should look at people who may judge you as them being jealous and I understood what she meant. Take it a more positive approach.

Last edited:
It's difficult to achieve total happiness when you have so many doubts about yourself. If truth be known, NTs have just as many doubts about themselves, they just don't show it so much because they're more skilled at hiding it than we are.

I am so glad this is working out because you were so stressed. You are pretty brave to take so many hard classes. You are going to do great things in this world :)
I basically got 2-3 more semesters then I finally receive my bachelors in marine biology. I’m definitely going for a masters in marine science...A PH.D that’s been floating around.
I’ve seen a few people take at least 10 classes a semester down here. now that is something I could not handle.

New Threads

Top Bottom