• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going randomly non verbal

Alexthehuman

OK so, at school today during my first period I went extremely non verbal, and haven't been able to talk. I don't know what happened, but I just started to silently break down and I realized that I couldn't physically bring myself to talk. I've said a total of like 15 words since classes stared(When I'm typing this it's almost lunch) I don't know how I'm supposed to explain to my teachers that I can't talk. My only 2 support systems that I know would genuinely help me are my friend and my girlfriend, but I have no classes with my friend, and my girlfriend goes to a different school, so I'm pretty much screwed. One of my teachers already thought I was just making up excuses when I "told"(wrote him a note) saying I went non verbal. Does anyone have any tips/advice?

Unfortunately I know what teachers can be like. They assume every student is 100% adjusted and normal, and any different behaviour is assumed to be a student being deliberately disruptive, even though you going non-verbal probably looks different (body language-wise) to an NT student who's just refusing to speak to be obnoxious. Most teachers can't tell the difference. Instead of noticing non-verbal signs like you'd have thought NTs could, they still seem to need to be told if a student has special needs, in words.

Do you have email addresses for the teachers and those who you want/need to explain to about being non-verbal? Explain that your autism means that you can get overwhelmed and find it hard to speak. An email might be more effective than a note. Or could a family member explain your situation to them?

Most professionals, including medical professionals who actually deal with autistics, might not be aware of this phenomenon. It's a transient stress response. The brain begins shutting down "non-essential functions", and language is considered non-essential for basic operations. Basically, I explain to lay people, it's like when your computer gets overloaded with operations and then the "hourglass" icon or the "spinning ball" icon pops up on your screen, and then locks up. On the computer you can go into the "task manager" and manually shut things down, or you can shut down the computer and reboot it. With your brain, you have to shut things down, as well by taking the time to rest and recover. Find a quiet space away from your chaos. Call it "non-stimulation" time. No thoughts. Meditate. Relax.

Pay attention to this. Be self-aware of the sensations leading up to this. Learn self-regulation techniques. Alternating 30 min. study, 15 min rest, 30 min. study, 15 min. rest. Take mini breaks throughout the day, 10-15 min. where you're not disturbed. Avoid carbs and sugary drinks (pro-inflammatory). Regular exercise each day (make time). Bed at the same time, wake at the same time (biorhythms). Make daily check lists of things you need to do for the day to keep you on track (executive functioning).

Basically, you need to take care of your brain. Rest. Blood flow. Nutrition.

Autism is a lifelong condition. We all need to learn techniques for managing it.

Last edited:
My friend told me about something called Exposure Anxiety and I think I have it. It can make people not want to talk to other people and be really private for a long time.

Yes, I go nonverbal. I'm very shy, and I want earnestly to be liked. I have very complex thoughts in my head, but the words that come out, and often those in text as well, are simplistic.

If I am feeling especially shy and afraid, it will be especially hard to express a thought. I was very alone for a long period of my life, and I just want so badly to be liked.

I had a friend who had a stutter. I do too, but mine is masked and it comes out as soft speech and trembly, unfinished sentences. The poor girl, whenever she was afraid of something new or threatening, would stutter. You could see her visible frustration. I always thought she was so amazingly brave whenever she would struggle to say a sentence.

Last edited:
Perhaps write a note to your guidance counselor, and tell them your needs.

Also talk to your parents or write them a note. Are you diagnosed? They could contact the school and attempt to make things easier for you.

I used to do that sometimes when I was at school. It kinda went away later in life.

Do you have an official diagnosis? I'm thinking that might make it easier to explain to a teacher, or at least it might make a teacher pay attention and not just say you're making it up.

New Threads

Top Bottom