• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food habits, growing up and now

I admit that I am somewhat a picky eater, there are certain foods I will not eat, such as mushrooms(I can't explain, I just don't like the idea of eating them), sour cream(don't like the taste), cooked spinach(don't like the taste or texture, although I do like raw spinach), avocado(don't like the taste), green onions(don't like the texture), olives(don't like the taste or texture), or blue cheese(I find the idea of eating active mold unappetizing), and I have other eating quirks, such as if I eat butter on anything, such as vegetables or bread, it has to be completely melted, and I can only drink milk if it's really cold(I normally put ice in milk to make sure it's as cold as I like it)...

I am something of a foodie and, an adventurous eater but, everything must be prepared and cooked properly and, believe me, I can taste it if it has not been done properly.

An example: I like teriyaki chicken and, last evening, we dined at a Golden Corral restaurant. They had teriyaki chicken on the buffet and, of course I took a helping for myself. One taste however and I knew the had marinated the meat then, left the marinade at room temperature for an hour of more before cooking it into the sauce that was coating the chicken. While it's normal and, proper to make the marinade into the sauce, you can't leave it out that long after removing the meat. the blood and other juices form the raw meat that are now in the marinate turn, go bad and, even though cooking does kill any harmful bacteria, the off flavor remains and, that is not good teriyaki.

I informed the staff of the problem and, was soon given a fresh helping of teriyaki chicken that did not have the off flavor so, Golden Corral did well and, did the right thing but, the mistake never should have happened to begin with.

I will eat almost anything so long as it is prepared properly and, yes I have tried Fugu, it's quite good if you enjoy sushi and other raw dishes, but quite risky if not prepared properly. mine was thankfully and, I would eat it again if I get the opportunity to dine with a Fugu master to prepare it for me. I'd never attempt it myself, one wrong move, a small nick with the tip of the knife and, I'd be feeling like I dropped a few hits of acid in short order, a big wrong move and I might finish the meal dead.

When we sit down to eat dinner, I always eat all of one thing first, then the next and so on. My wife has asked me why I do that. I do not really know why, that is just the way I have always ate. Even if we just go get a burger & fries, I always eat all of one or the other first.

I did this as a kid, until I discovered that getting some mashed potatoes and some meat on the fork to eat at the same time was tasty. I still eat only one thing at a time most of the time, but also found mixing some potatoes into corn makes eating the corn easier. That's largely just for holiday meals, though, on a day to day basis, I often just eat one thing for any given meal.

I don't generally have a problem with texture, but flavors get to me. In particular, I'm super sensitive to bitter compounds, so eating things like kale, Brussels sprouts, and most lettuces darker than spinach are off the table no matter how they're prepared, and coffee requires a bunch of cream to be palatable (that was a learned thing).

As a kid I couldn't eat bacon, hot dogs, or drink soft drinks because of some of the ingredients. They gave me a headache. I used to eat one thing at time and usually started with my vegetables, the way my parents trained me, until my wife asked me about it. I don't like drawing attention to myself so I stopped. I watched how she ate and started doing the same thing. I was able to drink as much milk as my parents would allow but at 13 that had to stop. I can no longer eat wheat either but I'm sure that's a different thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom