• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food and All Things Related

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I don't think we have just a general food thread, do we? If not, feel free to discuss cravings, likes, dislikes, get advice, and whatnot here.

I'm starting to think food is a keen interest. Which is weird, because I don't eat much and tend to eat pretty mundane things. But I love the cooking channel, especially the series that focus on recipes and features rather than competitions.

Right now my craving is toast and jelly! Jam! Preserves! Cold and smooth(ish) and fruity. :hearteyes:
With a thick slice of ham to counteract that pesky sugar so I don't get dizzy. Or at least, I find a good helping of meat helps me, anyway.

I am inventive when I (try to) cook. If I follow recipes, it turns out as if I haven't, so I usually make it up as i go along. I can make a good cake as long as I try to make a biscuit. If I have the patience, me cooking can be quite amusing, but not always edible :confused:
And I can tolerate eating anything, except peas. I have an immensely strong aversion to the little green devils

I don't think we have just a general food thread, do we? If not, feel free to discuss cravings, likes, dislikes, get advice, and whatnot here.

I'm starting to think food is a keen interest. Which is weird, because I don't eat much and tend to eat pretty mundane things. But I love the cooking channel, especially the series that focus on recipes and features rather than competitions.

Right now my craving is toast and jelly! Jam! Preserves! Cold and smooth(ish) and fruity. :hearteyes:
With a thick slice of ham to counteract that pesky sugar so I don't get dizzy. Or at least, I find a good helping of meat helps me, anyway.

A good helping of meat helps everybody. After all, we are omnivores. If a meal does not have meat it is not a very good meal. I am a big eater and really like meat. Now my mouth is watering, I guess I'll go see what I can find in the refrigerator.

inabox Have you tangled with the little demons known as field peas? Sweet/English peas are little angels compared to them. I'll eat sweet peas, although the sweetness confuses me as much as the sweetness in carrots and corn, but I won't touch field peas or black eyed peas.
Biscuits are some of the best breakfast foods. I was good at making them as a kid, but the same recipe doesn't work now for some reason. My dad says they've changed the way they make flour and he's had to invent his own recipe to make up for it.

clg114 I had to settle with fried bologna and scrambled eggs. No beautiful ham until the holidays. :(
I like most of my meals to have meat. I like to joke that sandwiches are the perfect square meal. You have your grains (bread), protein (meat), dairy (cheese), veggies (lettuce), and fruit (tomato), with a touch of fat and seasonings. And it's shaped like a square! Doesn't get much more perfectly square than that. :D
Although if I could make Subway's honey oat bread, I would make almost all my sandwiches on that. Good stuff!

I was taught basic cooking skills by my paternal great grandmother. Old school is always cool :cool: She taught me how to make perfect pancakes,bake bread,be inventive with sauces and how the spice rack worked. I can whip up a meal with nearly nothing to work with as a result of what I learned from Big Grandma(she earned that name as a result of her size that might have been a result of her own cooking :D)

I have done a few stints in professional kitchens that was more like fun than work. My first gig as a cook was when a friend decided to try a steak night at her small restaurant/cocktail lounge. The clownhead that volunteered to do the grille work was doing cheap cuts of round steak with no prep work in a common gas grille that he had covered with aluminum foil. They were nasty,rubbery lumps of gray meat slowly cooked to imperfection. It was a disaster and she had many complaints about it so I offered to help her out to get it up and running.
I hit up one of my customers that owned and operated a meat cutting facility to buy loins that she cut into 12 oz. New York strip steaks. I used cheap whiskey,garlic powder and white pepper for a marinade that was done to the cuts the night before cooking them. I fried onions,chopped garlic,mushrooms and green peppers as the choices of toppings. My kitchen help made up fresh garden salads and we served a baked potato with the choices of three side dishes of vegetables. My presentation was very important to me,if a steak slid on the plate and left a stain on it,the plate was changed for a new one and the side dishes had to be arranged perfectly. (full tilt autie moment looking back on it :p)The steak night special was held once a week selling 30 specials per night of fresh cut steaks for about three years. I had contemplated going to culinary school to become a chef at one point in time until I was reminded that every holiday would be spent working for parties instead of attending them.

Although I no longer have olfactory function and the taste involved with it,I still get complimented on the meals I prepare for others. I guess that once ya have it,ya still got it ;)

I only like food that I like. ;)

There are "home snacks" (carrots, apples, cheese) and "out snacks," (Cheeze-its, chips )
and I can't have the wrong type of snack in the wrong location. :fearscream:

Food textures define whether something is a food or a non-food item to me. Clams, mushrooms, calamari are non-food items.
Anything in life that I don't like gets called a "Manicotti," :eek: 'cos it has a horriffic feel/texture.

M&Ms absolutely MUST be lined up by color (red-orange-yellow-green-blue-darkbrown)!
This line of stunning perfection must be gazed at, until the planets align :rocket: & all in the Aspieverse is harmonious!

Whoops... this was supposed to be a thread about foods we enjoyed, not a fuddy-duddy-ness reveal. Mea culpa!

I love carrots, grapes, cheese, tater-tots, juice boxes with straws that go SKRAAAWWWK at the end.

The End.

I have been eating a lot of canned deep fried apples. They are like candy to me and not a hint of ever being in grease. I want to play with making apple cider next spring.

I can so relate to the M&M detail.My favorites are the peanut ones that first get sorted by colors,brown,red,orange,yellow,green and blue then get eaten in that same order :D

Food. :D
AsheSkyler: square meal sandwiches yay. I'm trying different non-gluten breads to make my sandwiches with and so far....eh. o_O
I eat meat every day too. Actually, twice a day, sometimes in the form of local organic eggs. And veggies every day.
Recently :) I have started grilling the veggies that I get from a local farm, along with whatever my meat of the day happens to be. Last night, it was a calamari steak, fingerling potatoes, bell pepper, onion slices. On the side we had a small bowl of raw baby greens with home made honey-mustard dressing.
For tonight I have some marinated organically raised chicken in the refrigerator and I'll slice and grill a large pattypan squash.
The cleaning up part is not as fun as the cooking part for me. Also, when I am involved in painting sometimes I forget to make dinner. So, I've taught the kiddo how to make a few simple meals like liver and fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, & various sandwiches.

I like to try new foods and retry old ones that I put on the NO list. I tried fennel and sadly cannot tolerate the licorice lettuce taste. I re-tried some gorgeous baby eggplant from the farm last week, and my mouth got very itchy, so it stays on the No-Can-Eat list too.

Last edited:
I am not a good cook at all, but I am something of a savant when it comes to herbs and spices. One of my family members will be cooking something, be it soup or stir fry or whatever, and ask me "what it needs." I have no idea how I do it, but it turns out with everyone calling it "delicious."

Nitro Everybody should at the very least be properly taught about spice racks! Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain the most about a health issue limiting their diet don't know how to use spices and seasonings to enhance what foods they've got available. We're hoping to buy some wood someday and build a nice set of shelves in the kitchen so I can start collecting spices for new recipes to try.

Warmheart I was bad about the snack location thing when I was a kid. I only remember one incident. Next door lived his parents, and I'd always eat salted green onions and a biscuit with my grandfather at his house. (Back before onions decided they hate me. Maybe I killed too many of their buddies?) But never at home with my dad. Drove him nuts.

Wireless My grandfather tortures fruit regularly since he bought a dehydrator. Him and my grandmother love it, they put all sorts of things in there to snack on all year. I've never tried baking or dehydrating fruits though. Usually they go into pies if they get cooked. I think I tried one failed experiment with apples and cinnamon in the oven. Or was it sweet potatoes? The house smelled good, but the food was bad.

kestrel Mmm, organic eggs. We used to own chickens. You have not had eggs until they were eggs laid by a chicken that ate tons of bugs instead of just seeds and grain. And also haven't had the full egg experience until you've spent time hovering over the sink and scrubbing poop off of them. o_O
If your local store sells gluten-free flour, you might could bake your own bread. My mom went through a phase for a few years where she made our bread for the fun of it. GOOD STUFF. We went through a loaf every day or two. Wasn't gluten-free, so I don't know how much of a different that would make.

@Wyvery I dub thee... Remy! I may have to borrow you for my lasagna, if we lived close anyway. Something is always just missing.

Whoops... this was supposed to be a thread about foods we enjoyed, not a fuddy-duddy-ness reveal. Mea culpa!
It's all fair game. Anything food related! :)

775766_10152438896315237_687015843_o.jpg

:)

I ate Smarties as a kid, then I graduated to M&Ms as an adult.
My sister told me there are some people who think that they taste the same?! They taste very different.
I spent more time trying to bite the shells off first than sorting them. I used to sort Haribo though. Fun is fun.
This is my rambly post about Smarties and M&Ms.

I dream of a suave, swoonworthy gent to whip up Aspie cuisine and cater to my every quirky gustatory whim.

I mean, what could go wrong?

Last edited:
Food is an important part of my day.
Foods I like -
  • Nuts. Pecans, almonds, brazils and now hazel nuts. Not peanuts though - which are actually legumes anyway.
  • Fruits. The only fruit I don't enjoy (due to the smell) is durian :oops:
  • Veggies. Any vegetable whether baked, boiled (&mashed with garlic, cream & butter), deep/pan-fried. Always seasoned with fresh herbs & cracked pepper/salt
  • Proteins. Pretty much anything (including offal), but only once per day. Not for health reasons or any belief, but just because it's become a habit & I find that hard to break :confused:
  • Chocolate :). Dark - about 70% cocoa. Any time of day.

My sister told me there are some people who think that they taste the same?! They taste very different.
I spent more time trying to bite the shells off first than sorting them. I used to sort Haribo though. Fun is fun.
When I was a little kid I tried to get the M&M shells to come off perfectly in half but it was rarely possible to get 2 symmetrical pieces of shell.

Many years ago at work I conducted a blind taste-test of M&Ms, Smarties & a generic sweet. Participants were asked which one they preferred. It was roughly even between M&Ms, Smarties with nobody preferring the generic.

I dream of a suave, swoonworthy gent to whip up Aspie cuisine and cater to my every quirky gustatory whim.

I mean, what could go wrong?

He could get caught up in a special interest and possibly not cook for days :p

New Threads

Top Bottom