• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fidget Toy recommendations? (things to stim with)

My phone's stylus. It's got a clicky top a bit like a pen and I'll pretty often just mindlessly click that thing when I just need something to fidget with.

The only fidget I deliberately bought myself is a set of metal dice. I had no need of a whole set but that's how they come. A dice is small and near indestructible and can comfortably sit in the corner of my pocket.

Public fidget: any piece of paper. Lolly wrappers get meticulously folded and compressed in to a small pellet. Receipts from checkouts get rolled and folded and crimped then unravelled again to reveal pretty patterns in the paper.

I learnt origami when I was a kid so if you leave me sitting in your office too long and there's a piece of A4 paper in reach you'll end up with a collection of paper birds and frogs on your desk.

I like to twirl and fidget with my pens and pencils between my finger. This really helps me think while I’m writing and planning. I also like to fiddle with my rings and bracelets as well.
This may be unrelated, but one of my earliest stims was to mimic playing the keyboard, either with one hand or both. Sometimes I'll play a scale, or it used to be my then-obsession with a Bach fugue.

There's a metal ring that connects the straps of my purse to the main part that I twist often. Probably not good for the lifespan of it as it is starting to fray around that area but oh well.

Good point. No telling of the wide variety of objects that people (autistic or not) may fidget with.

LOL...I still laugh at myself and my "tactile love affair" for skinny old 5.25 mylar floppy disks. Something about their soft feeling in my fingers, and the clicking sound- and feel when you pushed them into their slot.

Was I really stimming back then? Hmmm. Yeah. I'm weird. ;)

iu

I have a silver fidget ring I got on Etsy. It has two bands nested together and you can spin the top one. I like it because it’s more inconspicuous than a fidget toy

Nuts & bolts and other bits of hardware
Screwdriver
Pliers
Manual typewriter
Pens, pencils
Pieces of paper
Watch chain
Sliding a penny match box open & closed
Porcelain coffee-cup
Ink bottle on desk
Pull tab on aluminium cans
Rosary
Key for eight-day clock
Radio knobs
Tape measures

I have good stims and bad ones. But clicking pens on the top and hearing that noise. Tonite in the dark, l pulled some weeds and really enjoyed feeling dirt on my hands. Like kneading dough, l enjoy that. I love showers in the dark, and pretend l am in an immersion tank. I love the water embracing me.

I noticed as I was (re)reading the title that I'm fiddling with my hoodie's lace (string? rope?), for adjusting the hood's size. I'm wrapping it around my fingers and making small circles out of it as well as sucking a bit on the ends. I used to suck a lot on hoodie laces when I was a kid, but I completely forgot about that till now. I've never owned any actual stim toys (as in, items made with the express purpose of stimming).

I noticed as I was (re)reading the title that I'm fiddling with my hoodie's lace (string? rope?), for adjusting the hood's size. I'm wrapping it around my fingers and making small circles out of it as well as sucking a bit on the ends. I used to suck a lot on hoodie laces when I was a kid, but I completely forgot about that till now. I've never owned any actual stim toys (as in, items made with the express purpose of stimming).
I did that too! I also chew them (and completely ruin them in the process) lol.

Another thing I do is pat/run my fingers through my own hair. Or I'll just fiddle with a lock or so of it. I think it reminds me of how soothing it is to pet a soft animal. :sweatsmile:

Hi all,
looking for some more recommendations for fidget toys. To stop scratchimg, picking skin and putting hands in my mouth and biting fingers. Current faverites are fidget cube and tangle. Or squishing a palm size sorft toy.

I bought a set of metal dice, just ordinary D6s. I only need one, it's small and inconspicuous, it just sits in the bottom of my pocket and I can fidget unobtrusively if I need. It had to be metal, I hate the feel of plastics.

Hi all,
looking for some recommendations for fidget toys. To stop scratchimg, picking skin and putting hands in my mouth and biting fingers. Current faverites are fidget cube and tangle. Or squishing a palm size sorft toy.
Hand squishes, sensory bracelets, chew toy, you can get these things and u press the dots, finger toys, idk what else
I even like putting a coloured pebble in my hand or marble or a little animal like a small horse.
Or even like a naturally sweetened lollypop occasionally

I really like the Ono rollers. They are totally silent, so they don't mess with other sensory issues. Only drawback is the price.

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 24
I Really like polished rocks the fit well between my thumb and forefinger.

New Threads

Top Bottom