• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Family meal time - the most stressful time of the day

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I used to use the evening meal to chill out after a hard day, now it's about as chilled out as a war zone.

I struggle to my temper and end up shouting at the kids almost every day.

My wife gets stressed, but no where near as bad as me, and I don't lose it any other time.

It's something about 5 people around a table, three of whom are acting like bipolar chimpanzees.

Anyone else get this?

It sounds similar to my growing up. In that it was a stressful time for both my parents. As children we had a great deal of energy, and our parents were tired after a long day.

The insistence that we all eat together as a family at the dining room table was often problematic. As there were two groups; the energetic and the tired. My Father worked in a really loud, noisy workplace. As did my Mother. All they wanted at that point was some downtime, and some quiet.

Eventually, my Mother and Father ate in the kitchen by themselves after the younger children ate. We ate together on weekends as a family, when my parents were rested and less stressed.

As we grew older, we all ate together.

Last edited:
ive never been able to eat around other people as other people talking and eating overload me.
i only eat once a day, at 11pm every night and send my staff into the staff office so i can be on my own with my [currently,as im furrbaby sitting the family cat] two cats.

when i was at the family home,i just ate in my bedroom,and if i get invited out for a meal i just order drinks.

i hated family meal time after a day at work because the last thing i wanted was to talk more. caused lots of stress for me. i didnt blow up but i would go into shut down mode which made my wife unhappy that i couldnt talk.

Sounds like me. I have three young highly energetic boys and dinner time always turns into a complete nightmare(especially if we eat out at a restaurant).
I lose my temper very quickly as I have the view that children should be quiet and well behaved while at the dinner table. Of course that never happens,hence the stress.

@Mia

"Mother and Father ate in the kitchen by themselves after the younger children ate.
We ate together on weekends as a family, when my parents were rested and less stressed.

As we grew older, we all ate together.
"

That sounds like a very useful idea.

Having some juice about 30 minutes to an hour before supper helps, too.
Small amount. Not more than 4 ounces.

New Threads

Top Bottom