• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Falling in "lust" again - #blurredlines

superawesomeme

I'm in love [emoji7] .... again...

In fact I'm starting to wonder if I've ever been in love. I've certainly had all the symptoms...

- Physical attraction
- Can't stop thinking about them
- Heart flutters
- Painful breakups
- etc

Really intense emotions and feelings that make Romeo and Juliet look like casual acquaintances. But is it real?

I've always thought so, and despite none of my relationships every really progressing beyond the infatuation stage, and usually ending with the other person blocking me, moving away and probably considering a restraining order, I've always maintained in my head that they are "the one" and we are meant to be together.

Most of my relationships usually last a couple of dates and are followed by years of obsession, mild stalking, trying to be "good enough" and of course lots of heartache.

Only since my diagnosis for Aspergers have I started to reflect on my relationships (or lack of) within the context of the condition.

Most recently I was in Spain for a few weeks where I fell head over heels in "love" with a waiter at a café I went to every day. This waiter was NOT classically good looking; we shared very little in the way of a common language, so ordering food was generally the extent of our conversations; I knew nothing about him; and he had shown little to no interest in me at all.

Despite all of this, I couldn't get him out of my head. It became an obsession. In my head I was flirting with him and he was flirting back - yet in reality I was just ordering tea and toast and he was probably counting down the hours until the end of his shift.

By the end of my time there I had managed to use my super stalking abilities to find out everything from his name, educational history, hobbies and interests to even building up a reasonably comprehensive psychological profile of him.

This only fuelled my imaginary connection with him. I felt like I knew him intimately and my mind was in overdrive plotting all of the different outcomes (that would be in my favour) of making my move.

Alas, I never did. There was no fairytale ending but fortunately no Shakespearean tragedy either. I left Spain and now all I have are somewhat exaggerated memories and an Instagram account to stalk.

The sad thing is, in my mind it plays out almost like a holiday romance but in reality it was just a little creepy stalking. Which is what led me to question every other "relationship" I'd ever had.

- Where does one draw the line between lust and love?
- Have I ever really been "in love"?
- Have I ever been in a "relationship"?
- Am I doomed to continue repeating this cycle of inappropriate obsession?
- When can I go back to Spain, marry him and live happily ever after?

I just recently realize I do this so bad! All of my crushes have been major romances in my own head. The last one was so damaging, it comes up often in therapy.....didn't realize this was an Aspie thing. Now I know what to look for. Hopefully I can keep this from happening again, but I know I won't be able to for a while...still learning the social rules and such.

Don't beat yourself over this. It's probably more common than you may think. The Temptations even made a rather famous song over this some forty-two years ago. Listen to the lyrics from beginning to end.

I'm married and still have those fantasies from time to time. Revelation of the century, I'm sure. Currently, the fine 40'ish blonde receptionist at the counselor's office. I guess I have something going for me, my counselor says all of the reception/admin women love me, particularly my voice (they like my accent). My "achy breaky heart........."

I get "friend crushes" on people--not interested in romantic/sexual relationships with these people, just wanting to be their friends, and fighting intense desires to "stalk" them in order to learn more about them. It seems to me like there's something spectacular about these people...some insight and wisdom they have into life that no one else gets, and if I could become their friend, then I would learn a whole new level of deep understanding of reality.

A few weeks ago, I began to realize that these friend crushes are just as superficial as the boy crushes I'd get in middle school. So I decided to stop having them. When someone comes along who really interests me (currently it's the worship leader at my church), I try to notice the things about that person that make them just as average and normal as all other humans. If I can start to see that person as a normal, plain person (albeit still valuable in the sense that each human is valuable), then I can avoid the overwhelming intimidation when I'm around them, and the intense drive to be closer to them.

My conclusion for myself: a crush is superficial, and works more to block a relationship than to open up possibilities for relationship.

I can't say that this insight applies to your situation or not, but that's where I am with crushes right now.

I can't say that this insight applies to your situation or not, but that's where I am with crushes right now.

It does and I'm totally on the same page as you regarding the need to see them as "normal" human beings. In fact I was having a PM with someone about this topic and I was saying to them how daft it is that I will see something on Instagram and be in awe that they are doing something normal, like a normal person and then be thinking like...

"Well if he rides the tram then it must be cool and he's so down to earth and environmentally friendly and I bet he could be a peace envoy for the UN and I bet he farts rainbows and can control the tide with his mind and..."

Ok, maybe not quite, but it certainly feels that overwhelming as they start to become deified in my mind.

I sometimes think I just have the emotional responses of a 12 year old girl, just trapped inside the body of a 36 year old man.

I'm in love [emoji7] .... again...

In fact I'm starting to wonder if I've ever been in love. I've certainly had all the symptoms...

- Physical attraction
- Can't stop thinking about them
- Heart flutters
- Painful breakups
- etc

Really intense emotions and feelings that make Romeo and Juliet look like casual acquaintances. But is it real?

I've always thought so, and despite none of my relationships every really progressing beyond the infatuation stage, and usually ending with the other person blocking me, moving away and probably considering a restraining order, I've always maintained in my head that they are "the one" and we are meant to be together.

Most of my relationships usually last a couple of dates and are followed by years of obsession, mild stalking, trying to be "good enough" and of course lots of heartache.

Only since my diagnosis for Aspergers have I started to reflect on my relationships (or lack of) within the context of the condition.

Most recently I was in Spain for a few weeks where I fell head over heels in "love" with a waiter at a café I went to every day. This waiter was NOT classically good looking; we shared very little in the way of a common language, so ordering food was generally the extent of our conversations; I knew nothing about him; and he had shown little to no interest in me at all.

Despite all of this, I couldn't get him out of my head. It became an obsession. In my head I was flirting with him and he was flirting back - yet in reality I was just ordering tea and toast and he was probably counting down the hours until the end of his shift.

By the end of my time there I had managed to use my super stalking abilities to find out everything from his name, educational history, hobbies and interests to even building up a reasonably comprehensive psychological profile of him.

This only fuelled my imaginary connection with him. I felt like I knew him intimately and my mind was in overdrive plotting all of the different outcomes (that would be in my favour) of making my move.

Alas, I never did. There was no fairytale ending but fortunately no Shakespearean tragedy either. I left Spain and now all I have are somewhat exaggerated memories and an Instagram account to stalk.

The sad thing is, in my mind it plays out almost like a holiday romance but in reality it was just a little creepy stalking. Which is what led me to question every other "relationship" I'd ever had.

- Where does one draw the line between lust and love?
- Have I ever really been "in love"?
- Have I ever been in a "relationship"?
- Am I doomed to continue repeating this cycle of inappropriate obsession?
- When can I go back to Spain, marry him and live happily ever after?

Relax . Maybe it is part of having AS but I am the same way . My read on flirting is just terrible .

I would guess having imaginary romances is far from rare and occurs with all types of people. Perhaps Aspies who do it can experience it intensely if they are using the Aspie 'super-focus'.

I would say its not a real problem unless you have trouble distinguishing between what is imaginary and what is real. And perhaps also if it is inhibiting you from persuing a real relationship. Are these 'no risk' fantasies too comfortable and becoming a substitute for going for the real thing.

But I wouldn't feel guilty just about having them. I imagine most writers are exercising a form of it.

I would guess having imaginary romances is far from rare and occurs with all types of people. Perhaps Aspies who do it can experience it intensely if they are using the Aspie 'super-focus'.

I would say its not a real problem unless you have trouble distinguishing between what is imaginary and what is real. And perhaps also if it is inhibiting you from persuing a real relationship. Are these 'no risk' fantasies too comfortable and becoming a substitute for going for the real thing.

But I wouldn't feel guilty just about having them. I imagine most writers are exercising a form of it.

Perhaps the fantasies are a result of crashing and burning so often in attempts to establish a romantic connection . In my case I have to make better decisions on who to focus on and developing a much more direct approach .

That's exactly the problem for me. It's easier to stay in the 'fantasy' and reject others or avoid dating because "I've just got out of a relationship" or "I'm kind of seeing someone".

Really it's just an excuse but it's an excuse that exasperates the fantasy.

New Threads

Top Bottom