• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Existentialism, religion and the likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsie

Friendly discussion.
For whoever is interested.
Lets lay down some ground rules though, just in case.

1) If you get emotional, take a minute (or longer) before you reply.
The subject of this thread could mean (WILL mean) different points of vieuw and different opinions.
I for one will do my best to dispute any arguments which I think are false. I don't like red herrings.
2) Keep it objective if in any way possible.
3) There is room for any religion. There is no room for "my religion is better 'cause".

Meh I'm sure everyone here can handle this!

I'll kick it off with, do you believe there is a deity of sorts? Creationism? Intelligent design? etc...
And why. Don't forget to add why, its important.
What makes you believe?

I'd like to believe there's a deity of some kind, but I'm one of those horrible cynical people who refuses to believe in something unless they have hard evidence to prove it! So I'm agnostic I think....
I love the theory of evolution personally, but I do study biology at university, so I'm probably a little biased. Whilst the idea of intelligent design has its merits, I've seen so many valid arguments for evolution that I'm not massively convinced :)
How about you?

Well, every possible argument that can be made for intelligent design can be disputed.
One of the most used arguments is earth is so perfectly balanced, there are so many factors needed to have life as we know it, it can't possibly be coïncidence.
One of the counter arguments could then for example be, that there are sooooooooo many stars and planets, the chances of 1 or more having life are actually rather big.
I do try to keep an open mind though. I just try to hold on to facts with as little subjectivity as possible

I don't see any reason whatsoever why it would be likely some "thing" created us, earth or even the universe.

One can argue that over the course of millenia, we've always held on to what we believe to be true, so why would science hold the answer now? Considering we hardly know everything.
Opinions on the origin of life has changed so many times I can't count them.
What has changed though, and this is very important, is the way of adressing these matters (not for everyone).
We can be open minded, be open to the possibilities, and work from there.
We don't know enough yet to claim to have an answer.

I don't have one. Maybe there is some structure we can't percieve. Maybe its all chance.
What is chance? So many variables.

I'd like to believe there's a deity of some kind, but I'm one of those horrible cynical people who refuses to believe in something unless they have hard evidence to prove it! So I'm agnostic I think....
I love the theory of evolution personally, but I do study biology at university, so I'm probably a little biased. Whilst the idea of intelligent design has its merits, I've seen so many valid arguments for evolution that I'm not massively convinced :)
How about you?
I believe that evolution is the ability to change, to better deal with our ever changing environment. Nothing more, nothing less. To me it's that simple and certainly not a evil concept.

I've closed this thread, as its very intent is in direct violations of our rules:

We are not allowing any threads to continue to that debate religion. If a thread regarding religion or spiritual beliefs turns into a debate it will be closed and actions may be taken against those involved.

General Rules & Guidelines | AspiesCentral.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom