• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Engrossed by water?

Just wondering if this is heard of within the ASD community. Ever since I can remember, I have been engrossed by water - that is - the sensory experience of it. If it's raining, I'm outside in it. The smell, feeling, sound, sight... it is both calming and fascinating to me.

I am also a swimmer because I feel very comfortable and soothed in water. It is my natural element, so to speak.

Only recently did I begin to think that maybe this has to do with my having Aspergers. I know that people with ASD tend to have sensory peculiarities, whether over or under sensitive in some respect. I've always been more sensitive to touch and sight, both senses being engaged by water.

How about you?
Yes, I love swimming. It could be related to sensory issues because most clothes and surfaces feel kind of hard or irritating compared to water. However, wearing wet clothes is the worst thing in the world. I don't think it's the water that I like so much as the feeling it gives.

I've always liked going swimming.

Mad thing is though, when I'm running the tap in the Kitchen ready to wash up after a meal, the running water always makes me want to go pee. lol.

When I was a kid, we had to do a science experiment where we froze a cup of water, then used running water to observe how erosion works. Utterly fascinated. I sometimes still watch ice cubes melt under running water.

I used to love swimming as well, not so much now.Mostly because I'm self-conscious about how I look in a bathing suit!

I'm definitely engrossed by water.

I like swimming and all kinds if water activities. I have a bizarre behavior that I like to be in the position of getting my clothes wet. I like the feel being in my sweatpants and T-shirt, getting completely soaked and immersed in water with them on. I feel relaxed, calm and mentally stable when swimming in them.

I don't like the feel of swimming in shorts or at least rolling up my pants.

I keep some pairs of sweatpants used especially for swimming. It all depends on water quality since I don't like getting my clothes damaged in pools from the chlorine, I wear grey sweatpants when swimming in pools. Regular T-shirt and sweatpants is my favorite swimmers.

Last edited:
For me, it's the visual aspects of water that I most enjoy, for example, I love the visual effects that light reflecting off water creates. Depending on how the water is behaving, the patterns of reflecting light change.

There's something about watching moving water, such as a stream, that I find extremely relaxing, physically. Water moves in such an un-hindered way.

If anyone is interested, there's an audio book on audible called "How to Read Water" by Tristan Gooley.

New Threads

Top Bottom