• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotions in Movies

Often getting emotional watching movies. One example is the Color Purple, which I've only seen alone, and prefer it that way cause I'm getting too emotional watching it. Especially the final scene, when they're singing "God is trying to tell you something" in the church (not religious, but love this one). Not only because of the singing, but you'll probably have to watch the movie to understand why. Even shed some tears watching The Lion King awhile ago, but were pretty drunk atm.

Last time i cried watching a movie, were while watching Temple Grandin movie, when Clare Dane were singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". That might also have something to do with me being a Liverpool fan, and my BFF usually made me stand during this song, while we watched Liverpool matches on TV. He were kinda a fanatical Liverpool fan. Just hope this song won't turn into an obsession. Since it can't be considered pretty singing, it would probably make my neighbors start to wonder about me :D Haven't finished the movie yet, but maybe I'll try to continue it today (took a break after that song).

Maybe needless to say, but often getting emotional when i hear pretty singing.

In a recent thread the topic of people on the autistic spectrum lacking skills in empathy arose. I was saddened to see that some people on the spectrum do indeed believe this, and I would be interested in exploring this topic further if others wish to as well.

As a start, I wonder what people would get out of movies if they did not feel emotion and empathy with the characters. I feel very intense emotions watching a good film.

I would be interested to know if this youtube compilation by Cinefix of so called emotional movie scenes does get any emotions going in you?

[/QUOTE/]
During movies I feel very strongly about the characters and don't like to watch war or disaster movies as a result. It's the same level of feeling in regular life. My brother, who has been diagnosed with Asperger's since he was a child, shows an extreme level of loyalty and unconditional love to long-time friends and family. I don't think most of us lack empathy.

I don't usually get emotional when I watch movies that are supposed to make you cry because it has nothing to do with me in my point of view personally. I do like watching movies because it is a fun escape and the CGIs are always great to see but not alot of them bring me to tears. The only time I will get upset is if my eyes get misty and then that's about it.

Being told that you are making too much noises if I get excited or any other emotion then sitting quietly does ruin any moment that I would have. On the one hand I have a cousin (NT) who will cry at the drop of a hat when watching Disney movies, and yet I'm the one who gets in trouble for having emotions.

New Threads

Top Bottom