• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating Disorder, Anxiety, Depression and Asperger

selfhatetoselflove

Hi! I didn't know where to seek support and help, so here I am. I am away from my therapists I've had, and I don't know where to find such help again. I have ED-NOS, anxiety, depression upon Asperger. Though I like being an autistic because it makes me think differently from everyone else, I wish I was free from ED, anxiety or depression. I am most of the time, but not always, withdrawn from social interaction with other people, and even if I could meet others, it gives me so much fatigue after that. Any recommendation for self-help books for any of my mental disorders? Because I eat too much or too little, though I never was a very fat girl, I am always a bit chubby or too thin. I don't know what to do, and sometimes think I should be institutionalized because it's easier for me, maybe. I am 22 and have Master's in Counseling Psych, but not a licensed counselor because I couldn't see myself as one while I suffer too much myself and cannot very much tolerate social interaction even at work. I am applying to PhD this year, and it's giving me so much stress. Please give me any advice you have!

Hi! I didn't know where to seek support and help, so here I am. I am away from my therapists I've had, and I don't know where to find such help again. I have ED-NOS, anxiety, depression upon Asperger. Though I like being an autistic because it makes me think differently from everyone else, I wish I was free from ED, anxiety or depression. I am most of the time, but not always, withdrawn from social interaction with other people, and even if I could meet others, it gives me so much fatigue after that. Any recommendation for self-help books for any of my mental disorders? Because I eat too much or too little, though I never was a very fat girl, I am always a bit chubby or too thin. I don't know what to do, and sometimes think I should be institutionalized because it's easier for me, maybe. I am 22 and have Master's in Counseling Psych, but not a licensed counselor because I couldn't see myself as one while I suffer too much myself and cannot very much tolerate social interaction even at work. I am applying to PhD this year, and it's giving me so much stress. Please give me any advice you have!

What would you say to one of your friends or one of your clients if they came to you with diagnosis of your conditions?

Hi, I suffered from binge eating from age 16 to 20. Little by little I lost the weight (2 years), but most importantly, I never went back to the binge eating mindset.

My advice:

1- STOP right now striving to have a perfect life. I would even stall the PHd for while. You have to choose between perfection and your mental stability. Focus in having a healthier life style.

2- Instead of trying to be perfect, aim for happiness or inner peace. Make your happiness your main goal. You can reach inner peace by accepting yourself and being you. Do not do what is expected of you, most of all, socially. If you are an aspie or are in the autism spectrum, you need lots of time to be alone doing nothing, or doing something that grabs your interest, it doesn't matter how silly or nonsense it might look for other people.

3- Make your own food rules and stick to them. I payed attention to what I liked and what I didn't. I suggest that to boost your self confidence, choose a food that you don't like much and stop eating it.

4- Baby steps. Try one of your rules first, stick to it for a week, then another.

5- A lot of people here in aspiescentral have their own unique rules for eating. Some of them look nonsense but they are not, they answer to a specific psychological need of each person. It's important that you make your own unique rules, your mind set needs them.
Check the thread:

Did you have your own rules for eating when you were a kid?

Having an ED is horrible, I know (it brings along anxiety and depression). You are going through a very difficult time. But there is hope. You are already moving on to a healthier, happier you by posting on this forum.

To begin with, welcome to the forum! There are a bunch of great people here who would love to support you.

Secondly, I would like to offer a counter to Sabrina's advice to stall the PhD. I have found that a lack of life purpose is detrimental to my mental health. Not pursuing a goal can quickly lead to depression, which only compounds other problems. However, Sabrina is right that your health is extremely important and should not be neglected in pursuit of further education. Seriously considering whether or not you can handle a doctoral course load is more than appropriate.

Third, you know that overcoming ED is about changing your mindset. Consider finding some people in your area who are very fitness minded. Instead of thinking about food in terms of how it will affect your weight, begin to think in terms of how it will affect your performance. Find an activity you love doing and use a balanced meal plan to become exceptional at that physical activity. Obviously exercise can be taken too far, especially by someone with an ED. That is why your goals must be performance driven, not weight driven. When you break your personal record for running 5 miles, you will love the body that did so.

Lastly, great job reaching out for help. Sometimes that is the hardest step.

Thank you for thoughtful and kind words! It really helped me. I considered to stall PhD for a while before, but I just kept going... whether or not I'm going to do PhD right away, I'm very worried that I may not be able to work or find a job that suits my interest and need, I don't know why exactly, but I can't work well in team nor I am not always mentally ready to go out of house. How did you guys choose what you do as your career now? Thanks again

Go to www.aspergerexperts.com for some help! They have quite a bit of free content as well as some paid programs. But I don't think you would have to buy anything to get some information that will help you. The best of luck to you!

Apparently, someone told me that refusal to eat food certain colours or only eating certain colour foods sounds like an eating disorder.

New Threads

Top Bottom