• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DVLA and my driving licence

Looks legally complicated in Britain for both patients and doctors according to this. Yet if the patient isn't operating a motor vehicle as ordered, I'd think "no harm, no foul". Thus no need to formally notify the DVLA. But does it operate as such accordingly given the circumstances of the OP? I'm not sure. :confused:

"Doctors will be obliged under new guidelines to report patients who continue to drive even though they are not medically fit to do so."

"As it stands doctors do not need a patient’s consent to inform the DVLA, which is legally responsible for deciding whether a person is medically fit to drive, when a patient has continued driving in such instances."

Doctors ordered to report patients unfit to drive to DVLA
But you said you had quit driving on your own.

But you said you had quit driving on your own.

I'm not the original poster.

Me? I've held a driver's license in good standing for over 45 years. ;)

But if his physician decides to contact the DVLA it appears there's not much he can do about it under the circumstances. Different legalities in play for Great Britain.

When did breaking the law because following it might be a "hassle" become the thing to do? Just curious.

But if his physician decides to contact the DVLA it appears there's not much he can do about it under the circumstances. Different legalities in play for Great Britain.
OH, sorry....I sure hope he does not lose his license in case he can drive at a later time.

OH, sorry....I sure hope he does not lose his license in case he can drive at a later time.

Seems like the authorities can reinstate a license. But having to go through such a bureaucracy along with the good graces of one's physician...what a pain. :(

Yeah, especially under a Tory government that hates disabled people... Jesus wept.

About 15 years ago, in 2003, I applied to the DVLA for a P license to have lessons in an Automatic, but was refused on medical grounds, I was fuming,! I was literally like, WTF?! 6 years previous, when I was 20, I had a P license and had lessons when I was 20, but I wasn't diagnosed Aspie till I was 23! Again, Jesus wept.

It is the mental health clinician, or doctor’s legalDuty to inform.” We all have this legal duty according to law if we work with clients and are certified or licensed in social work, mental health, or medical health. I work in the USA but it will be pretty much the same in the UK. If not, we can lose our jobs, licenses, and even be fined in a criminal investigation if it is found out that we did not do so. So, no, the professional is just doing his job and yes, it IS his duty to inform, as the driver is not acting responsibly.

New Threads

Top Bottom