• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone zone out when eating?

AdoringLove

I have been hanging out with my new fella and both times that we have been out to eat in public together he's nudged me and told me I'm daydreaming. I zoned out both times and had video in my head about stuff. Anyone else been told this when they're eating?:)

I don't think so. I usually zone-out the most when walking with friends if I'm not talking or interacting with them. I also zone-out when I'm in my bedroom and bored.

I do it all the time but not when I'm eating.

I've had people misconstrue it for seizures as sometimes I'm not aware of what's going on around me. Not sure if it's an AS trait or something close to a seizure but it does happen a lot.

When I'm on the bus or when I'm not doing something that works the brain I daydream usually reflecting over things that have happened or what to do in certain situations.

If I am eating something that I really enjoy,then I become only aware of the food's taste smell,and texture,and usually try to eat these foods when I am alone so I can enjoy them. I also do this with certain forms of music. I always considred this a form of natural 'Zen' ability,as I use these things to de-frag my brain.

When eating, all I want to do is focus on what I'm eating. I do zone out and hate it when people talk to me while I'm eating.

I zone out all the time, so yeah. I don't even notice that I do until someone points it out.

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. As a matter of fact, that is one of the reasons why I like eating alone, because I am free to do that as much as I want. But like many people have mentioned, I do that pretty much all the time anyway, but I definitely do it a lot while eating.

I have noticed that I do this almost everytime I sit down at the table to eat. My eight year old thinks its funny and waves her hand in front of my face of creates some other distraction which I am fully aware that she is doing but I don't stop (maybe 20 seconds) until my brain is willing to cooperate. I don't have seizures, have never been diognosed with any illness and am not sure what to contribute this to. During these episodes, I am fully aware of what is going on but I am not thinking of anything at all. I always thought it was a break that my brain needed from usually constant activity, but it seems odd that it almost always happens when I sit down at the table and eat. If you have heard of what may cause this and if it is cause for alarm, I would appreciate your feedback :)

Depends how tired I am. The more tired I am, the more 'aspergery' (lol) I am, including zoning out in company.

I like food too much not to pay attention when I eat. But there are plenty of tasks that my mind takes a leave of absence on. Driving being one of them. I don't understand why that bothers people, I'm a much better driver when I'm distracted than when I'm hyperfocused on the car and road and traffic and all those annoying little things that come with it.

I sort of zone out while I eat, especially at school. But if I'm having dinner with my family and am not concentrating on my food, I'm for the most part okay.

Whenever I have something nice to eat at home, I make an effort to eat it alone and usually while watching one of my favorite shows on my computer to make it special. I don't zone out then because I'm concentrating on something else then.

Sometimes when I eat I feel like if my primary instincts got the grip on me and recall all I have learned about our ancestors.

I don't think so.
I do have to concentrate/not be distracted in order to eat, though.
Like----some people can walk and eat.
That is too difficult.

I find it hard to carry on a conversation whilst eating, but I'm not sure if that's because I zone out or something else.

New Threads

Top Bottom