• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else hate bathroom hand dryers?

ASD_Geek

V.I.P Member
I was just in a public restroom today and like may others, they no longer have paper towels (for sanitary reasons, they say). I had to use one of those high velocity, whiny dryers which I despise. This was not the first time that I had used one, but I really dread the sensory experience that comes with it. Most times, I just wipe my hands on my pants. I wish that stores would take into account those with sensory issues.

Is there anyone else that feels this way?

...and loud toilets. Plus, I prefer using a towel to dry my hands so I don't have to touch the doorknob to open the door. If there are no towels, I use a wad of toilet paper.

Personally, I love them! Especially those Airblades...I don't know what it is, but it just feels so good. I also have a strange fascination with toilets...maybe it's all that water.

I know, I'm a strange one, lol.

Personally, I love them! Especially those Airblades...I don't know what it is, but it just feels so good. I also have a strange fascination with toilets...maybe it's all that water.

I know, I'm a strange one, lol.

Yeah, I like the Dyson ones too. They're certainly better then the old hand dryers that make a lot of noise but barely any hot air comes out.
It's those old ones where you have your hands under them for two seconds before thinking "oh forget it" and wiping your hands on your jeans/pants.

With the exception of the Dyson Airblade and a couple other models, I'm not too fond of hand dryers, mostly because of the fact they don't put out enough air pressure to actually dry my hands, and I usually end up drying my hands on my pants anyways. If I'm somewhere where I have a choice of paper towels or a hand dryer(most WalMart restrooms have both), I almost always use towels... I usually need a few, but at least they get my hands dry...

Apart from how loud they are, I really like the very fast ones. It just seems funny to me, watching my skin flap around under those things. I hate the weak ones that take like 10 minutes to dry your hands though, those are pointless.

upload_2015-11-22_18-35-47.jpeg

I love any kind of electric hand dryers. In fact, the one thing that is worst about work is having to use paper in a place where electricity is cheap and plentiful.

I agree with you regarding hand dryers in public restrooms. This is why I carry either napkins or tissue in my handbag when I go into a public restroom. It is good to be prepared in case the public restroom has no paper towels!

I never like the paper towels. I prefer the dryers EXCEPT:
  • They are usually too hot
  • They usually don't turn on unless you stick your hand right underneath, where it is too hot and you run the risk of accidentally touching the underneath of the dryer which is likely to be dirty
  • They turn off too quickly (or they turn off when you move your hand too far away, in other words they turn off when I put my hand in a place where the air is not too hot)

I like the hand dryers that have the more intense flow of air as the sensation of it against my hands reminds me of the sensation of holding magnets near each other, in the direction that make them repel each other. These types often have a positional nozzel wchich is fun to turn around and direct at my face/hair. I don't like or dislike the noise they make, but I do like the predictable sequence of noise that the dryer makes when it is turned on and the repitition of that predictable sequence.

I really like paper, of any discription. I luurrvve the white, textured paper hand towels, and find the visual effect that the texture on them creates very interesting and pleasing to the eye. Paper hand towels also have a unique smell, which I enjoy experiencing. Lastly, but not leastly, paper hand towels are often dispensed folded and are interlocked with the one above it to ensure there is always a paper towel sticking out of the dispenser, ready to be grabbed, and I like the repitition involved in the process.

I really dislike the noise of those hand dryers, and prefer to dry my hands on paper towels. Besides, even the thinnest towel will dry your hands well if you shake them dry as much as possible over the sink, then fold the paper towel in half before using it. I saw a YouTube video about this, where the guy explained that the interstitial effect of folding the paper towel will absorb twice the water.

haha yup, I was terrified of them as a child, my parents used to carry a towel around with them so that I didn't have to use them, but there were still regular crying fits when other people used them while I was in the room. I'm not scared of them any more, but I still hate the noise and won't use them. I just wipe my hand on my trousers.

I should point out, one of the reasons I always use the hand driers is because I worry about all the germs festering on paper towels.

Irrational, perhaps, but that's my thing, I guess. :oops:

I don't wash my hands after going.

Just kidding!

I don't mind them too much but they are a bit loud.

I went to potty at a park one day and right when I stuck my hands under the dryer it came on just as a boy walked in the door. The poor kid almost had a heart attack.

I should point out, one of the reasons I always use the hand driers is because I worry about all the germs festering on paper towels.

Irrational, perhaps, but that's my thing, I guess. :oops:
I seem to recall an episode of "Mythbusters" wherein they found that more bacteria accumulated on, and was dispersed by, electric hand driers than the paper towel dispensers. I was surprised as I had assumed the hot surfaces would kill the bacteria, but it did not seem this was the case. Never had time to test it myself yet, though my department has agar and petrie dishes to spare...

New Threads

Top Bottom