• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk a lot through TV programmes or movies, often annoying other people?

pjcnet

V.I.P Member
I have always had a problem with talking through TV programmes and movies when I'm watching them with other people, when I was a child I used to be constantly told off by my Dad for it and even as an adult my "friend" is always complaining about it, in fact he often says that he can't watch anything while I'm there.

The strange thing is I can't seem to stop myself doing it. I often try really hard, especially after my "friend" has already complained about it, often threatening to turn the TV off completely if I talk over it yet again, but when I spot something in particular or don't agree with something I have a huge urge to say something about it that seems to originate deep down inside, this is usually followed by a battle that goes round and round in my head, but even when fighting it, the urge to talk usually eventually gets the better of me and it slips out like a release valve has opened, I then feel better and almost relieved in some ways, but unfortunately there's often consequences. This has caused countless arguments when I'm at my "friend's" and I've most likely also annoyed other people in the past who were too polite to complain. It's very difficult to explain and I don't even fully understand the issue myself. Despite trying to describe this to NTs, no-one has ever seemed to understand and I'm often accused of doing it on purpose which is honestly not true. I have even sometimes caught myself talking when watching something alone, although I believe that I usually do it subconsciously.

I am therefore wondering whether anyone else has similar issues and maybe understands this issue any better than myself, or even better knows of any techniques that can help control it?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Last edited:
I've been terrible about that too. My children as well. I ask my son if he likes sitting in front of me and I sing songs to my daughter about getting out of my way, dancing, flapping and causing a ruckus while singing. With the state of movie and tv programming, as much as I hate it at the time, I feel like they're doing me a favor sometimes. Watching tv can seem to be like staring into a maybe interesting, definitely attention-stealing inferno of hellishness. That being said, once in a blue moon I'll find something good on.

Throughout my life, I've rarely known the right times to talk, and, like you said, though I know that it'll infuriate people, I would feel like a partially opened can of soda just wanting to spew out whatever life-saving nonsense I wanted to say out. :)

Could you write down your comments and save them until the program is over? Maybe try and see if that relieves the pressure build up inside.

No, I don't really talk much during movies or TV. Usually I am silent.

But I maybe understand the feeling of desperately needing to say or do something....like you can't let it go and forget about it, so instead you just spend tons of energy not acting/not speaking until you can't maintain your self-control anymore?

Could you write down your comments and save them until the program is over? Maybe try and see if that relieves the pressure build up inside.
I've never thought of that and I will give it a try, thanks, the only problem I can see is my friend thinking it's silly.

No, I don't really talk much during movies or TV. Usually I am silent.

But I maybe understand the feeling of desperately needing to say or do something....like you can't let it go and forget about it, so instead you just spend tons of energy not acting/not speaking until you can't maintain your self-control anymore?
Yes, I can relate to your explanation, thanks.

Only tv at home, in a theater(on the rare occasion that I am in one) I am completely, totally quiet. Television I have non-stop comments to make and it does annoy people. I prefer to watch really bad tv that the other viewers feel compelled to talk through as well and then my chatting isn't a problem.

I've never thought of that and I will give it a try, thanks, the only problem I can see is my friend thinking it's silly.

You don't have to tell your friend what you're doing- just pretend you are working on something. If you elaborate on what you write it will keep you busy longer when the feeling hits you. Later you can casually refer to it as if you're just being distracted by it. Hope it works for you. :)

Only tv at home, in a theater(on the rare occasion that I am in one) I am completely, totally quiet. Television I have non-stop comments to make and it does annoy people. I prefer to watch really bad tv that the other viewers feel compelled to talk through as well and then my chatting isn't a problem.

Haha Kay, what a novel solution, watch bad TV!!! Well, it's mostly all bad anyway, lol.

It's usually my (NT?) husband who does this. I have asked him to keep his comments to the commercial break if it is a really long conversation or a news item or show I particularly want to see, but he keeps doing it and I feel rude asking ; especially if itis something he particularly wants to talk about.

However if I disagree with something on TV I will often loudly say so - sometimes prompting hubby to walk in the room and ask me if I am arguing with the screen again.:p

Can't watch with hubby, because unfortunately I am able to preempty what the person has said and go: oh, my this bit is so funny etc and hubby says: will you stop that! I will know when they speak. I also get very angry and will actually jump up and down calling the person all kinds of nasty names lol

However this is trickly part; if my husband was to talk through something that interests me, I would not appreciate it and so, we do not watch things together, because I do see that I am outrageous.

I am a very hypocritical person and that is rather uncomfortable to live with.

That's why I like watching TV with someone.
I'm always verbally participating with what's going on
in the show.
Things like "Way to go, Walter. I knew you'd say that!"
Or breaking in with remarks like "wonder what he'll do now?" or " I could see that coming. I'd do the same thing."

My live in, when he watches with me is always saying:
"What did he just say?" (hard of hearing)
Then he gets grumpy sometimes and says "That's not what it sounded like to me!"

What fun, eh?

I don't watch TV very often, but can relate to this, especially in conversations. Sometimes I'm so desparate to get my opinion across that I interrupt people. Unfortunately, that's the only way that I can join in the conversation, because I'm slightly slower to process and can never get my word in before someone else speaks, or the conversation moves on and the moment is lost.

Sometimes, when someone else is watching TV, for me it's just noise and I don't realise that the person is actually listening to it and I interupt and annoy the person. Or I can't resist making a comment - the problem with my comments is that I tend to over-explain or over-elaborate, so I go on a bit too long. I can't help it. It also drives me mad when others do it to me.

This reminds me of my mother. She always used to sing along to ones with music and talks over everything else for that matter, even in general conversation. The phone is worse. In my head, i’m screaming at her to shut up while remaining to keep very calm.

I have the luxury of living alone now and if I watch tv with someone, it is nice. Not necessarily quiet, but NORMAL!

Omg @pjcnet come on over! I would love to watch with you . I comment whole time... it’s part of the enjoyment! my daughter’s picked up the habit too and it’s hard when we go out to movies or theatre etc cuz we keep wanting to chat about what we’re seeing.

New Threads

Top Bottom