• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you still read hardcover or real books?

Not a hardcover, but my favorite replica of a first edition is Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The illustrations are especially enjoyable.

Looks like I'm an odd bird here, because I'm an avid reader who tried ebooks years ago and have rarely looked back since. (Admittedly with a longing glance.) I do still buy physical books occasionally, but I limit this due to space constraints.

I never thought I'd read digital books, even though I wrote them as an author. Then we had to move to a much smaller apartment, and I was forced to part with most of my beloved collection. I was stuck with library borrows, but they didn't always have what I wanted. Or it would already be checked out. Finally, I caved and tried an ebook.

While it's definitely a different sensory experience, I soon realized the advantages. I can not only own as many books as I want, I can carry my whole collection everywhere. Like a security blanket. I don't even bother toting a Kindle around. I read on my phone or laptop. Audiobooks are my go-to for the work commute. I load them on the phone, and away I go. Font sizes are adjustable, a godsend as I get older. I can get any book instantly 24/7, even library books. (The same availability issues apply, but still.)

As for the sensory differences, I did miss that at first. But I also find that with my sensitivies, physical books "turn" on me after a while. They get musty/mildewy smelling, and the pages become brittle and don't feel the same. Then yuck.

So, yeah. I've actually found digital reading positive on the whole. Oh, yeah, and don't get me started on the time I lost a bunch of books to flood damage. Very upsetting.

I used to read books when I was younger (until like late 30'ties), I guess life happened and my eyes got tired, maybe with my life getting under control and a pair of reading glasses I can take it up again, I like the paper media :)

@lovely_darlingprettybaby what kind of books are you reading?
I read all kinds of things and magazines as well.
I like magazines too.
I am reading harry potter, a little princess and harry styles book.
I try to read bits and pieces of things, my memory and focus is not always good.

Whenever I want to have a reference book, it has to be an actual book, not some on-line source (although I use these, as well). I get out the yellow highlighter marker, leave bookmarks, etc. I am this way with important scientific articles, as well. I will print them out so I can highlight and make notes.
That reminds me of studying when you highlight things and make notes sometimes.

Well I’ll admit that when I do want to look up the definition of a word or something I want to know about, these days I’ll tend to look on-line instead of using a dictionary or encyclopedia. But I hope schools don’t stop teaching students how to use these sources of print.
I used to use those things a lot.
I uses to always look up words in the dictionary.

I have been collecting and reading hardcover books since I was sixteen years old. As I write this I am staring at a double stack of hardcovers on top of the piano that numbers about fourteen titles. Some have been read, others await. I have an actual library of hundreds and hundreds of titles (albeit, almost all of them are still packed away in moving boxes from my last move), some signed by the authors and a few are now worth quite a bit more money than I paid for them. I am wondering what to do with them now? *rueful chuckle*
I love that!!!
It is fun to collect things like that. I wish i had a library. It would be amazing to get signed copies of things.

In the past, I have tried the e readers, but it never felt quite as good as reading, a book although I have much difficulty I do try to read once in a while
I used to be a fan of audiobooks and used to gobble them up through Audible but for some reason my comprehension work as well through an audiobook

All that being said, though, I still love physical books, and especially illustrated or hard copies like the Harry Potter illustrated books

Yup, yup. I'm still trying to finish writing one, lately. I wish I had many authors' ability to just pump out works right and left, but I am so very picky with my prose because I edit as I go, and I do a lot of computer audio readback, as well. The Autism hits hard in this area.

I last purchased the book, "Man, F#ck This House" by Brian Asman. It's a weird, funny take on the haunted house genre.

Most of my waking hours.

I prefer physical books, but Kindle books will do because I can get them through my library.

Until the pandemic I'd check out stuff from the local library, mostly fiction.
Since them I borrow them online and read them in my laptop's browser.
When I'm out in the woods I'll take a bunch of actual books still.
Reading books on my phone seems hard on my eyes- screen too small

I think I have in my adult life only read 3 fiction books and all 3 I had seen the films before as I have next to no imagination however I read alot of philosophy,psychology and technical books and I have to say I love physical books,I don't like reading things on screens

I cannot say how much even with deficit how much I enjoy a good book.
And I think using too much screens is bad for your eye sight and leads to eye strain
So I still love reading a real book.
Well now I went back to it.
Does anyone read real books anymore for leisure and enjoyment?
And to learn things?
Absolutely! All the time!

I read books to learn things - real things at the heart of the subject. I never rely of Google or Youtube. Google is commercial and Youtube is only the opinion of the video maker. Neither can be relied on at any in-depth mechanism of action level. Sometimes I do use Google to check spelling. :) Also, all the sidebar adds are totally distracting and drives me crazy.

Also, I do not do well learning from a "person", so audio is very weak for me. Written text is by far best for me.

Absolutely! All the time!

I read books to learn things - real things at the heart of the subject. I never rely of Google or Youtube. Google is commercial and Youtube is only the opinion of the video maker. Neither can be relied on at any in-depth mechanism of action level. Sometimes I do use Google to check spelling. :) Also, all the sidebar adds are totally distracting and drives me crazy.

Also, I do not do well learning from a "person", so audio is very weak for me. Written text is by far best for me.
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!
It really bugs me when I search for a procedure for something and then have to wade through all the video hits before finally finding a text site, maybe with helpful still shots.

It's like they assume no one can read anymore!

I can print out a procedure and make notes and use it anywhere I happen to be working. With a video, I either have to keep replaying it or starting and stopping it, and frequently it's difficult to understand the person's accent.

I have hundreds of hardbacks, over a thousand paperbacks, thousands of ebooks. I prefer reading whatever I’m holding at the time.

I was always an avid reader, mostly of fantasy fiction but I like a bit of sci-fi and suspense thrillers too. I used to always carry a book with me, it was a good way to shut the rest of the world out because most people will leave you alone if they see you reading a book.

I couldn't count how much money I spent on books over the years, and my collection of novels was pretty big, I filled all my book shelves then I started filling window frames with books. It was quite common to go through a second hand bookshop and find books with my name inside the front covers too, a lot of people borrow books and never return them.

In 2001 I dumped the lot and went digital. I still read a lot but I do that at home on a 27 inch screen. Now 1000 novels only takes up about 1.5 gigs on my harddrive, and if I'm going to be away from home a couple of books take up minimal space on my phone - the only thing phones are good for in my opinion.

New Threads

Top Bottom