• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you sit on the grass anymore?

Grass? The green kind? That's an interesting concept. ;)

The High Desert.jpg

Forget grass. Even every tree you see is not originally native to the topography of the High Desert.

Last edited:
When I lived up north, and even to this day on northern canoe trips, I am barefoot as much as possible. I love it.

Here in south Florida, there are fire ants and they will get you immediately if you put any bit of flesh to the ground. Pests I really do not like.

I will still from time to time search the area for ant hills and if there are none within five feet, I may try to sit in the grass. Occasionally walk barefoot and skirt around the mounds. They get me the most often when I am gardening.

Yeah, it's nice here, mostly.

I got yard photos I took awhile ago for who knows what reason, if you want to see it:

The pond photos were taken before we actually had fish in there, so there arent 200 freaking lilypads in there now (there's still a bunch of lilypads though).

We get frogs/toads around here, I have no idea where they come from, they just sort of show up. There are also snakes in the area but I've never seen them in the yard specifically (but I've seen them in the nearby forest/park).

We did actually lose a whole bunch of fish at one point, it was horrible. There were lots of fish in there, I was here at the house alone for a few days, get up each day, feed the fish, and one day I go out there and... no fish. Should be like 15 of them in there, but... no fish. Turned out some horrid bird thing (a heron, if I recall) came and managed to eat half of them while I was asleep. The other half managed to hide in the rocks and it took quite awhile before they started coming back out again.

And yeah the ticks suck. Poor dog had Lyme's Disease from it for awhile. I've been super careful so I've only ever had one on me (that I was aware of, anyway...) and caught the horrible thing before it could do anything.
My first reaction was Wauw, that is big and pretty! - there seems to be a lot of land there?

We also have frogs/toads in our pond, the pond was here when we moved in, we added some fish, they have grown bigger over the years, and multiplied, so maybe its good the cats reduce the population sometimes :)

In the beginning we moved here, I put a net over the pond, to prevent my kid (she was like 2 when we moved here) from falling into the water, and that also prevented the fish-eating birds from taking the fish out - the previous owner had the same experience as you with the bird taking the fish. Some years ago I removed the net, it got too difficult getting into the water to clean it - Now it is so overgrown that I'm not sure the bird would be able to land and get to the fish :)

Yes. I didn't realize it wasn't a thing people did.

So you mean most people don't just plop down on the ground for an impromptu picnic or to rest their legs?

If it's wet, and you're somewhere near a free newspaper, autotrader, or for rent magazine box, you grab a couple of those and place them under your bottom, to keep it dry.

The newspaper trick i learned from gutterpunks long ago. they would sit on newspapers, to keep their bottom and legs warm and dry, and for cushion.

A coat works just as well, but a coat is an important resource for warm/dry.

Yeah, I just find a spot and pop a squatch. Didn't realize it was something that wasn't done. I like sitting on the earth, or on a sidewalk, kicking off my shoes, making friendship bracelets or reading, waiting for the city bus, or if I'm enjoying wilderness, up in the hills. Even from my wheelchair, I'll get out (wheelchair seats are kinda uncomfortable for the tuchus) and walk just a little and find a spot to sit on the earth or on a log.

I would but I have a lot of comorbidities ADHD and anxiety and I wouldn't be able to sit still long enough to enjoy it, after like three minutes I'd be onto something else for example

Yes. I didn't realize it wasn't a thing people did.

So you mean most people don't just plop down on the ground for an impromptu picnic or to rest their legs?

If it's wet, and you're somewhere near a free newspaper, autotrader, or for rent magazine box, you grab a couple of those and place them under your bottom, to keep it dry.

The newspaper trick i learned from gutterpunks long ago. they would sit on newspapers, to keep their bottom and legs warm and dry, and for cushion.

A coat works just as well, but a coat is an important resource for warm/dry.

Yeah, I just find a spot and pop a squatch. Didn't realize it was something that wasn't done. I like sitting on the earth, or on a sidewalk, kicking off my shoes, making friendship bracelets or reading, waiting for the city bus, or if I'm enjoying wilderness, up in the hills. Even from my wheelchair, I'll get out (wheelchair seats are kinda uncomfortable for the tuchus) and walk just a little and find a spot to sit on the earth or on a log.
I am nor sure
Things have changed a lot because of the digital age.
When I was younger we always sat on the grass without a care in the world even if I got grass rash, it would go fairly quickly.
If you got a wet bum, you got upset but just either put a jumper around it, dried it by the fire in winter or went home or inside and changed.
But blankets etc or avoiding it when it I'd wet is a good idea because it is never fun but as a kid it was never that big of a deal.

I am nor sure
Things have changed a lot because of the digital age.
When I was younger we always sat on the grass without a care in the world even if I got grass rash, it would go fairly quickly.
If you got a wet bum, you got upset but just either put a jumper around it, dried it by the fire in winter or went home or inside and changed.
But blankets etc or avoiding it when it I'd wet is a good idea because it is never fun but as a kid it was never that big of a deal.

You seem like like someone who puts a lot of work into crafting each sentence, and you treat each one like it's a little project of yours, connected to the others, but somehow independent.

lol. I don't really consider myself disabled, but I can see why society would perceive me that way. I was joking with you, so don't worry about it.
It does not matter the way you see yourself.
I am undiagnosed autistic but sometimes i think I am autistic but I do not see myself as limited or that the word autistic defines me if I was autistic. I think I am Laura.
I no longer mind the word disabled but I do not think it limits my capacity to function in this world and do things...no I do not.
Obviously there will always he struggles but you just do the best you can.

It does not matter the way you see yourself.
I am undiagnosed autistic but sometimes i think I am autistic but I do not see myself as limited or that the word autistic defines me if I was autistic. I think I am Laura.
I no longer mind the word disabled but I do not think it limits my capacity to function in this world and do things...no I do not.
Obviously there will always he struggles but you just do the best you can.
I can definitely see why people use "differently-abled" sometimes, because you can be limited at some things and better at others. There's stuff that I assumed was always an unmitigated loss, but since I came across faith, I begin to view it from the perspective that God wouldn't take things from you unless it was to give you something better; somehow, eventually.

I can definitely see why people use "differently-abled" sometimes, because you can be limited at some things and better at others. There's stuff that I assumed was always an unmitigated loss, but since I came across faith, I begin to view it from the perspective that God wouldn't take things from you unless it was to give you something better; somehow, eventually.
I wish I had that much faith but sometimes the things I go through are beyond my level of faith.
There are many reasons I am awkward about faith or push it away lately or get extremely angry at God because it is not my fault I have been ill a long time.
Yes it is true i just cannot help the way I feel about my own disabilities in the fact I can still do things and I am still capable even with certain limitations at times
Limitations is not what hurts me
It is the other stuff that I do not understand after a lifetime of suffering.
If people think because I am a talented person I will have a pigsty house or I am unable to go shopping or do anything it is lies. Yes keeping up with it all and struggling with anxiety and limitations is difficult
But it does not mean I am not capable or do not deserve the best just because I am good at art or dancing..even in those things I may not be perfect in every area and am always learning.

No, never! Hate the smell of grass and have bad experiences too!

Have never been able to sit on the floor anyway.

I used to enjoy sitting on the grass but around here the fire ants are a problem. They are nasty little critters that will attack anything that moves, so I avoid getting down on the ground if I can.

New Threads

Top Bottom