• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you sit on the grass anymore?

Sometimes. But ants are annoying and so is grass itchyness. I "bush-bashed" through some really long grass the other day. It was fun. I had followed a tiny creek down a way and then waded through me-high grass to get back to the road. I got a little scratched from some wild raspberries, but, I had fun. It was a solo adventure.:)

I don’t really like the feel of it to be honest, especially if I am bare foot or if the grass gets wet lol, ugh. :)

Frequently. Me and my dog, together. Although, not again until spring. A bit snowy here.

It would be a really bad idea where I'm at.

Ticks. Everywhere.

Generally here it's important to always keep your shoes on, dont walk into the bushes near the pond if you dont have to, and dont get too close to the plant wall on the side of the property. Not just because of the ticks, it turns out the plants themselves aint too good to be near. You dont want one of those puffball things going off in your face.

And yes, there have been ticks that have gotten into the house before. They take the Big Goofy Dog bus line, it's a quick route.

I love laying in grass/tall weeds, but I’m not a purist. I like to bring along my old beach blanket so I can avoid the itchies. Walking barefoot in either grass or sand is a special treat, but I only do it in certain conditions because it’s not safe where pets often visit. Walking barefoot in mud is a sensual delight, and letting the mud cake dry between your toes while you lay in grass is able to reinduce childhood. If I were a therapist, I think I’d instruct people to remember the feel of a lush lawn under their feet.

Ticks. Everywhere.

Generally here it's important to always keep your shoes on, dont walk into the bushes near the pond if you dont have to, and dont get too close to the plant wall on the side of the property. Not just because of the ticks, it turns out the plants themselves aint too good to be near. You dont want one of those puffball things going off in your face.

And yes, there have been ticks that have gotten into the house before. They take the Big Goofy Dog bus line, it's a quick route.
Oooh I get ticks from my yard! I kept getting tiny ones a few months ago. I don't like 'em.

Oooh I get ticks from my yard! I kept getting tiny ones a few months ago. I don't like 'em.
Yeah, we have problems with them. Damp paper is the worst for them. If the letter box gets filled with junk mail and the rain gets in. But yeah, if the lawn gets at all long you run the risk. And the leeches. Used to live in a place that backed onto bush where the leeches were everywhere. You couldn't walk across the lawn in dew or damp weather or they'd be heading north over your shoes. Sometimes you'd not notice them half attached and leave a trail of blood from the front door after flinging them off with your shoes . The dog would bring them in too, you'd see them heading across the kitchen floor after ditching their ride.

Ticks. Everywhere.

I really don't like those blood sucking ticks, luckily I have only had one on me, we have that small tool to remove them for our cats, so used that one. Your place sound nice, with a pond and plants on the side of the building:) I have a small pond in my garden with fish in it, it breaks my heart when the cats gift me one of those fish.

In adulthood I'm often warned never to sit on grass with bare legs because I could get ticks. But when I was a child I wore shorts every summer and was always sitting on grass and playing in wilderness, and I never once got a tick.

Ticks. Everywhere.

Here in Central Florida it's chiggers you get from sitting in grass.

I like the feeling of stroking blades of grass, while the wind move them too. Grass seem too be so humble, yet it is everywhere, adding green to the eyes, and the eyes are nourished by that, like cats drinking water.

I have always and still do love laying in the grass . But I always must have my shoes on . Dont like the feeling of outside ground or grass on my feet .

I really don't like those blood sucking ticks, luckily I have only had one on me, we have that small tool to remove them for our cats, so used that one. Your place sound nice, with a pond and plants on the side of the building:) I have a small pond in my garden with fish in it, it breaks my heart when the cats gift me one of those fish.

Yeah, it's nice here, mostly.

I got yard photos I took awhile ago for who knows what reason, if you want to see it:

The pond photos were taken before we actually had fish in there, so there arent 200 freaking lilypads in there now (there's still a bunch of lilypads though).

We get frogs/toads around here, I have no idea where they come from, they just sort of show up. There are also snakes in the area but I've never seen them in the yard specifically (but I've seen them in the nearby forest/park).

We did actually lose a whole bunch of fish at one point, it was horrible. There were lots of fish in there, I was here at the house alone for a few days, get up each day, feed the fish, and one day I go out there and... no fish. Should be like 15 of them in there, but... no fish. Turned out some horrid bird thing (a heron, if I recall) came and managed to eat half of them while I was asleep. The other half managed to hide in the rocks and it took quite awhile before they started coming back out again.

And yeah the ticks suck. Poor dog had Lyme's Disease from it for awhile. I've been super careful so I've only ever had one on me (that I was aware of, anyway...) and caught the horrible thing before it could do anything.

@Misery are these the nasty ticks? My s-i-l cannot eat red meat anymore because of tick-bite induced allergic reactions. And one of them killed my second dog. @MNAus seems to have scored on both counts, ”sock-lizards” AND ticks.

Sometimes. What I miss living where I am and so far from Chicago, is Ravinia with its musical performances, especially by the Chicago Symphony. We would have a picnic on the grass and then relax, listening to the music on lovely summer evenings.

Nowadays, on summer nights I would drag a lounge chair out on the meadow next to our house and get out with my binoculars, lay back and scan the heavens.

New Threads

Top Bottom