• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you know the name for this? Or do you do this too?

Meowmeister

V.I.P Member
I have this habit of vocal stimming since childhood where I repeat cartoon phrases. However, I would modify them, such as changing a word, or putting a different phrase to the character's speech pattern from the original phrase. I'd use this to communicate, make others laugh, mask my anxiety, entertain myself, etc. The closest thing I can find to this is scripting, but it seems scripting refers to exact quoting. Do any of y'all do the type of modified scripting I am referring to? Or do you know a name for it?
See, here describes scripting, which is almost but not quite descriptive of what I do.

Repeating select lines usually from movies in particular. Guilty as charged. :D

Reminds me of me imitating Strother Martin in the film, "Cool Hand Luke". Where Martin as a sadistic prison warden is exasperated by a clever but hopeless prison inmate named "Luke". When the warden becomes physically violent with Luke and then becomes civil again, saying "What we have here, is failure to communicate!"

Or doing an impression of the late John Huston who in a commercaal was known with his unique voice of saying, "Share the fantasy. Chanel Number Five". However when I'd say it, while I could sound similar to Huston's voice, I'd say "Share the fantasy. Chanel Number Five. This is John Huston- live; from the grave".

Or Arnold Schwartzneggar as the Terminator: "Your clodes. Gib dem to me. NOW!"

I used to do a wicked H. Ross Perot as well, for yoo peeple who may remember him.

For me it's all about humor and mimicry and little else. Usually for my own amusement. Though I never tried to give it all a name as such. On occasion though I also may use such dialog as a metaphor of some kind.

Last edited:
I have this habit of vocal stimming since childhood where I repeat cartoon phrases. However, I would modify them, such as changing a word, or putting a different phrase to the character's speech pattern from the original phrase. I'd use this to communicate, make others laugh, mask my anxiety, entertain myself, etc. The closest thing I can find to this is scripting, but it seems scripting refers to exact quoting. Do any of y'all do the type of modified scripting I am referring to? Or do you know a name for it?
See, here describes scripting, which is almost but not quite descriptive of what I do.

I'm so glad you posted this! This is exactly what my nephew has always done since he was a little boy, and I never knew that there was a name for it. He can't "volunteer" or spontaneously speak words but he has always been able to convey meaning by doing this. Thank you!

I think it might be more like a form of Echolalia , my understanding of scripting was that you prepare certain responses to what others say - like if I go into a shop I practice what I'm going to say first, or if I know I'm meeting with someone I practice what to say on the way there - the scripts can have branches like, if they say this, then I'll respond with that- and if they say something I don't expect I can get utterly confused and don't know what to say :)

I do the repetition of (modified) quotes too, they just come out spontaneously/as a form of stimming

I think it might be more like a form of Echolalia , my understanding of scripting was that you prepare certain responses to what others say - like if I go into a shop I practice what I'm going to say first, or if I know I'm meeting with someone I practice what to say on the way there - the scripts can have branches like, if they say this, then I'll respond with that- and if they say something I don't expect I can get utterly confused and don't know what to say :)

I do the repetition of (modified) quotes too, they just come out spontaneously/as a form of stimming
Is Echolalia considered to be something that happens involuntarily? Just wondering...

I assume it isn't more involuntary than any other stim?

Ahhh. Ok, in the instance I posted I can't say it would be a stim. At least not in my case. I have two of them (Swaying and pacing). Those are involuntary for me. But mimicking dialog....more just a case of humor.

But when you think of other conditions like Tourettes Syndrome, there's no telling what one might do involuntarily when it comes to verbalization.

Ahhh. Ok, in the instance I posted I can't say it would be a stim. At least not in my case. I have two of them (Swaying and pacing). Those are involuntary for me. But mimicking dialog....more just a case of humor.
Interesting, like involuntary in that you can't stop if you catch yourself doing e.g. swaying? I can stop in the moment, even it might not be what I want, and I'm not always aware when I stim.
But when you think of other conditions like Tourettes Syndrome, there's no telling what one might do involuntarily when it comes to verbalization.
yeah, Tourettes seem to be something very different, nothing about calming yourself by repetition or preparation.

It feels so weird to read this stuff and realize I wind up relating to it, even though I wouldn't have thought so. I did have this horrible routine that I did in private, and it was supposed to be a parody. It was like this character who demanded to be highly known and respected solely for his terrible and obnoxious sense of style, and he was a combination of several stereotypes, like Fred Durst combined with Captain Picard. And I would do it over and over again to blow off steam, and then at some point, as a matter of faith, I decided I was being told that I was indulging a bad habit, and I simply stopped doing it.

I do it and did it alot when I was younger and even now ill pick up on a phrase and use it alot much to my partners annoyance,she describes it like a tic

It may be or can be a form of echolalia, but I think my nephew did it as a way to communicate his thoughts and feelings, not just a stim. He has never been able to talk spontaneously but, for example, he could quote verbatim a Cookie Monster dialogue from Sesame Street to tell me that he was hungry. I thought he was brilliant for figuring out how to tell us something by using the voices and words of Sesame Street characters when he couldn't find his own words to communicate.

I do this with a single words, I will repeat them in my head over and over again. I can't seem to stop myself. I think it is a form of stimming, as it gives me focus and comfort. Ettiger and Kaprinech were two of my favorites. I don't know where they came from, must have heard them somewhere. I also, practice conversations and greetings over and over when I know I am going to have to communicate, then I get flustered when actually communicating and mess everything up and end up saying something I wish I hadn't.

I think I do this. Sometimes verbally but more often in my head. I remember seeing my nephew (diagnosed) do this a whole bunch whe he was a child. I don't know if there is a name for it. In my case it feels like auto responses to certain triggers and mental stimming.

Repeating select lines usually from movies in particular. Guilty as charged. :D
I only ever picked up on a couple but not as some sort of stim. Or perhaps in a way it is, I use a couple of lines from the voice over in the original Batman tv show as a stress relief mechanism. If there's anyone my age around they recognise the quotes and laugh.

If something goes drastically wrong for me "This does not look good for our heroes."
If I injure myself "Ooh! That one's gotta hurt."

lol. I always thought "I've got a bad feeling about this" was stupid until I got into spirituality, and then I decided it makes sense, but I'm still not sure whether I would actually say it, since it would fall pretty flat and look stupid if God hadn't scheduled any plot points for the next moment. God is indeed a story author, though...

From childhood and throughout life, I have quoted commercials, movies, and TV shows. Not randomly. It has normally been in response to a statement or situation somehow (maybe remotely) related to the quote. But it's reflexive. I don't think about doing it. It just happens.

LOL My modified scripting (as Idk what else to call it) is often random. But my brain feels the need to do it because it feels good. Like, I mimic Cosmo's voice from the Fairly Odd Parents. I'll often say similar things to what the character might say or modify the script using different words with the same idea. I often speak this way in groups because of uncertainty how to socialize in groups and it can work for me because others find it endearing. I can go an entire conversation speaking in my silly cartoon style. I asked a professional if this is echolalia, and they said no, though I do use echolalia, like repeating a single word from the paragraph someone just said t me because it feels good to do so, it shows I probably at least somewhat heard what they said, and it gives me time to register what they said and think of a response. I wondered if my modified scripting could fall int the idiosyncratic speech category but researching the description of that doesn't fit either.

I agree that it must be a variation of Echolalia. It hits me a few different ways.

One word will remind me of another word, so I'll just start saying them. Like, I'll say, "I don't want this to get confused ... confounded, confuddled, conflated ..." ... and I'll keep going until I run out of words. I really like collecting words that sound similar and have similar meanings (I hope that doesn't bewilder, bedazzle, bewitch, or bedevil you!)

I also get certain rhythmic words or lyrics stuck in my head. One time about 30 years ago, I was working on automating a task and the phrase, "Automation is the key ... to our productivity!" stuck in my head. It was stuck on repeat for months! I really hated that phrase by the time I was able to get it out of my head.

I think it's because of a tendency to echolalia that I love poetry - the quick, easy flowing, rhythmic stuff like Dr. Seuss and Ogden Nash.

I have always imitated and incorporated voices and phrases. It did not occur to me how often I did this or how strange it was to others until I got older.

The voice is the original instrument, and I suppose some people take more joy than others in playing it. All good musicians learn riffs and scales and use them endlessly with slight variations.

I agree that it must be a variation of Echolalia. It hits me a few different ways.

One word will remind me of another word, so I'll just start saying them. Like, I'll say, "I don't want this to get confused ... confounded, confuddled, conflated ..." ... and I'll keep going until I run out of words. I really like collecting words that sound similar and have similar meanings (I hope that doesn't bewilder, bedazzle, bewitch, or bedevil you!)

I also get certain rhythmic words or lyrics stuck in my head. One time about 30 years ago, I was working on automating a task and the phrase, "Automation is the key ... to our productivity!" stuck in my head. It was stuck on repeat for months! I really hated that phrase by the time I was able to get it out of my head.

I think it's because of a tendency to echolalia that I love poetry - the quick, easy flowing, rhythmic stuff like Dr. Seuss and Ogden Nash.
You befuddled me :tonguewink:

New Threads

Top Bottom