• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have the urge to be special and impress others?

I'm through with chasing people to be their friend. Like me or leave me alone ( not you personally, you in general). I have enough struggles going on in my life and I don't need anymore crap on my shoulders

Now, that's the spirit! :) Needing people and their approval is the worst. It's good to develop the attitude you seem to be expressing here. As soon as you no longer appear to need their attention, people will crawl out of the woodwork to be your friends. Then, you can choose who is worth your time and effort. ;)

I have the opposite problem. I desperately wish to blend in under the radar and be as unassumingly average as they come. Unfortunately I don't do a good job of it.

I'm with you on this now. I don't want attention or to stand out. I'm not very successful at it either though. :oops:

There was a time when I was young that I wanted to be in a famous rock band, but I think that's pretty natural for young folks. I got over that once I achieved adulthood.

Well, you know, we just might be special :) And I know I have impressed others :)

It can help to shift the lens and not use the approval of large groups as our benchmark.

I've always wanted to be special and impress people. I daydream a lot about having superpower and saving the world. Every time I meet someone I can't stop bragging about what I've done and what I can do. Sometimes I even try to lead the discussion in order to let him/her ask about my talents. I'm not that kind of people who suck at everything and lack confidence. I just enjoy people's "Wow!" and their face in awe too much. I get upset when people say somebody is better than me. I try my best to prove that I'm special and better.
I'm tired of it now. Why am I such a shallow person? Is it an Aspie thing or just my own problem?
I think it is your unique problem. I have never ever had the urge to go out of my way to impress someone and it is likely why I am single . I haven't developed the ability to turn it on even just a little bit when you should be trying or attempting to make a good impression on somebody.

I've never gone out of my way to impress anyone in particular, but I do have a habit of trying to prove myself and getting aggravated when I can't do something that everyone else can. I guess I just don't want anyone to think I'm not capable.
But yeah, I do get what you mean.

No, I don't gp to any special effort to impress people, I'd be the same way with the Queen or the PM as I am with the people next door. take me as you find me, if you don't like it that's your issue.

New Threads

Top Bottom