• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have problems falling asleep?

I used to have insomnia as a child and had to take a medicine specifically to help me sleep. When I eventually came off that medicine, I was fine for a while. Eventually i started waking up in the middle of the night several times though and nights felt like they lasted forever. Ever since my psych prescribed an anti anxiety pill for me to take before bed, it's been better again though.

I'm willing to trade 40 fast acting winks for a day without tinnitus :p

As a rule I can fall asleep fairly easily. Exceptions are in times of extreme emotional distress or when it is too warm. My issue is staying asleep. I manage to sleep an hour or two then wake, then back to sleep, wake, and so on so forth.

I don't sleep well. Feel much better when I do, and my symptoms are much milder. Poor sleep is one of my major issues.

Like I said before, I could literally sleep through an explosion, only time I can't sleep is when I'm stressed, or it's really warm at night.

A weighted blanket sounds so good! I must buy one for myself at some point. Is anyone selling one? Lol (joke) Imagine how much that would be to send in the post considering the weight and going over seas. I'm now picturing Aladdin in the air. Maybe you can transport it that-away and come visit. :smile:

Pretty much since I was a kid. I just could never get tired. My dad would just yell at me "Well GET tired!" as if it was something I had control over. I slept way better in the daytime, but as a child, you're forced to live a diurnal lifestyle, regardless of it is working for you or not. I always had to take medication to make me get tired and it never started working until HOURS after I had taken it and even then I never could sleep through the night until I started taking something it had taken me years to find. People do NOT understand I need this stuff to sleep. Even my own brother, who's a doctor. He thinks I'll just eventually just fall asleep from exhaustion. Maybe, but I will just wake up about an hour after I fell asleep...when I did fall asleep from exhaustion three weeks later. I've been taking melatonin since I was eight or nine years old and it's never worked by itself.

I've had chronic insomnia for 47 years, but oddly could almost sleep at will as a child. I've been taking seroquel (quetiapine) for about 3 years now and that does help. It's a mood stabilizer usually prescribed for bi-polar, but I have to go to bed the minute I feel tired (usually about an hour after taking it) or I'll likely be awake the whole night. I also have to have perfect conditions ie. quiet, dark, my own pillow, not too hot or cold etc. or it doesn't work. Makes travelling or staying at someone else's house just about impossible. It's the bane of my life!

A weighted blanket sounds so good! I must buy one for myself at some point. Is anyone selling one? Lol (joke) Imagine how much that would be to send in the post considering the weight and going over seas. I'm now picturing Aladdin in the air. Maybe you can transport it that-away and come visit. :smile:

I had a weighted blanket. It cost over $100 itself, I have no idea how much it cost to ship. It was from a place called "affordable weighted blankets.com" and the lady who made them would use custom fabric if you requested something in particular. She probably moved to etsy or something. It's possible she's not even around herself anymore because I don't think she was that young.

New Threads

Top Bottom