• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have issues/dislike talking on the phone?

I can get lost in the fluidity of speech.
I like to be able to see the words.
I'm the same way as you, tree. This is also why I prefer texting and emailing much more than talking on the phone or video calling.
On a side note, I put on captions for TV shows and anything else that I can because of this.

I'm the same way as you, tree. This is also why I prefer texting and emailing much more than talking on the phone or video calling.
On a side note, I put on captions for TV shows and anything else that I can because of this.

I like subtitled movies, but I have the sound on
so I can hear what I see. (Even though it's in
another language that I don't know. I like to
hear the way they sound.)

I hate talking on the phone. HATE IT! my only exception is my bf, he is literally the only person I call or pick up the phone for. Any one else I have to text. My mom forces me to talk on the phone and it always feels so awkward and forced but I don't want to tell her because I know it would hurt her feelings (she doesn't know about the Aspergers). Having a phone fear is probably my most hated Aspie trait, it makes it hard to adult :(

I hate talking on the phone too. I can do it if I absolutely have to, but would rather avoid it. I only answer if I know who's calling. If I don't recognise the number I don't pick up. If I call someone, it has to be for a reason. I would never call just to chat they way some people do. My mum can literally spend hours on the phone chatting to friends. I've no idea how she does it and what she finds to talk about for hours on end.

I don't mind talking on the phone, but I hate texting. Texting just causes misinformation and bad feelings. I would much rather talk to someone so I know I got the right information. The only problem I have talking on the phone, is knowing when it's my turn to talk. I do that when I'm talking to someone in person too, just not as bad.

A big part of my job is answering a phone. At work I know what to say. "May I help You?" and then a transfer the call. If I have to have a conversation on the phone or leave a message, I get tongue tied. Weird how in one situation I do fine but in others I am not.

When possible, I refuse to talk on the phone.
People can text/message me and I will be able to reply, but no phone conversations.
I need time to process what is being said and prepare my answer.
If I'm talking, I don't have the same filter as I do when writing.

I avoid the phone wherever possible as I can't tell when it is my turn to speak and I find understanding what someone is saying without being able to see them difficult. My job should involve more phoning than it does, but in a shared office I feel embarrassed to use the phone much.

At work I don't mind using the phone and at home talking to people I know. The anxiety I get from using the phone is when I need to explain something or get a point over. I usually struggle to explain myself and it can get all a bit confusing and muddled. I'm talking about situations when I need to call places like the bank, power companies and the like. I suppose I want things done my way and now and it gets all very frustrating.

Okay on the phone when it's either passing on or recieving info, like when I phone companies or professionals. Simple , straight forward and fairly predictable. I know what I'm going to say and the response will usually be formal and to the point. I avoid using the phone socially though.

New Threads

Top Bottom