• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Have Empathy?

Very complicated topic. I don't think it's true that we don't have empathy, I just think that our expression of it is different. Here are my thoughts on the subject:

I find it hard to read body language and I often don't pick up on the social message it conveys; therefore, I don't respond appropiately to the social norm for the situation. People talk, laugh, share emotions, but I don't receive and respond to the signals, I don't share the emotion with them. To someone on the outside looking it, that may look like a lack of empathy - I've been told, for example, that I don't pick up on people's moods. People convey social information through body language, so if our interpretation of this is impaired, it appears that we don't respond in an empathetic way. So I believe there's a close link between the impairment in ability to interpret social cues, facial expression and body language, and our apparent lack of empathy.

If I learn that a friend's father has died, or that they have lost a pet, I don't feel their grief, I don't share the emotion with them. I feel numb. Yet I can understand it, because I have lost a pet and a close relative. I can relate to this. Or otherwise, I've read or seen in a movie that people feel this way. Logically, I can understand why they are feeling this way, even though I don't have the emotion itself. One can say that I possess the cognitive empathy that autistic people are supposed to be lacking. Yet, I don't know how to respond. I don't know what to do and say comfort them, that doesn't come naturally and feels awkward. So perhaps, when they say that we don't have cognitive empathy, what they really mean is that we don't take the appropriate action to show it, and so are considered to be lacking in it? Or do they mean that is is learned through observation and experience, and not intuitively?

If I can't relate to a situation or person's feelings, it is different. If a heroine addict overdoses and ends up in the gutter or dies, a smoker gets lung cancer despite all the warnings, I can't relate to it. I've never had this experience. I can't imagine what they are feeling and my reaction is more likely to be that they got what they deserved rather than one of sympathy. Instead, I become angry that people could act so irresponsibly and try to rationalize why on Earth anyone would want to do such a thing. Some people consider my reaction extreme and may say I have no empathy. Is this really a lack of cognitive empathy?

Or I tell a Justin Bieber fan that I don't like Justin Bieber or his music, or tell my mum that I can't stand the celebrity reality shows that she enjoys, then I'm told that I'm insensitive and have no empathy. Perhaps this is one reason why they say we have no empathy. But is this really a lack of empathy? I don't think so, that's just me giving my opinon.

I once ran over a snake and felt grief and anger. Yet many people here have no qualms about killing snakes: they are just vermin and deserve to die as far as they are concerned. But I felt grief and anger at myself because I felt that it was unjust and the snake had done nothing wrong and didn't deserve to die. I can't bear to watch films and documentaries where animals or people are unfairly mistreated because I can't bear the injustice, I experience intense feelings of anger. Surely, if I had no affective emotion, such things would not affect me? Feeling anger at someone being mistreated is not the same as feeling the emotion of the mistreated person, yet one can say that I'm displaying cognitive empathy, because it shows that I understand how that person is feeling and am reacting against it. But they say that we aren't supposed to have this.

I sometimes have an unusually large amount of cognitive empathy, especially with animals and crazy people. By cognitive empathy, I mean that I can asses their state of mind, understand why they do what they do even if it seems unusual to others, and have a good instinct for how they will react to certain stimuli. I can usually tell why a pig is acting strangely, asses how to relieve their stress, and forge very quick bonds with said animals. This is not the same as pure empathy, though, as I have an awareness of the animal's emotion rather than a replication of that emotion. With crazy people, I can be the same way. All psychological action is meant to reach a state of psychological satisfaction- even delusion can be a brain's awkward route to some sort of equilibrium. Even the wackiest scenes that a lunatic may cause or the most random and disturbing element of a serial killer's operation serves some sort of purpose in the mind of the person acting.
I rant.
Anyway, I'm good at determining why animals and wacky people act the way they do when it comes to specific action.
Sadly, it doesn't reveal itself so well in the social world.
Like I said, cognitive empathy is definitely here, but no true empathy. I may feel bad that someone was unjustly put in prison, but the fact that they are sad is not what makes me unhappy- the fact that they should be sad does. Am I making any sense? I usually don't.

Same Here! Don't understand why, but my day can be ruined by the simple "tragedy" of my stepping on a snail and ending it's life, while hearing about someone's grandparent dying doesn't phase me. I think it's kind of wrong and I don't know why I feel this way.

It's complex for me...this is the answer I found that I related most with.

I do have empathy for those close to me. I don't really get the whole 'feel what the other person feels' thing though, more like an objective understanding of what they are going through.

It's pretty easy to empathize with animals. The non-human kind. Easy to identify with them. For me, anyway.

Same. I have a very hard time empathizing with humans, which is one of the many reasons I identify with Sherlock so much. I come off as completely insensitive and most of the time I don't understand why people frown at me for it. It's a whole different story with non-human animals. They are the most important beings to me and I completely empathize with them. :dogface::catface::pigface::cowface::chicken::mouseface: The only humans I empathize with are my immediate family and pet owners who lose a furry one.

I have low empathy. On the EQ I scored 10 and my report says "her difficulty recognising her own emotional cues would be likely to make it hard to empathise with or offer comfort to another person, or create normal social bonds".

Well, in terms of thinking, I have empathy. Usually.

I'm not sure if I always -feel- it, because sometimes I am detached, but if somebody needs help, I'll usually help them. That also depends on various circumstances like my perception of how they need help and what kind of day I'm having.

In short? Yes and no.

This question has vexed me all my life. I have a conscience. I have a strong ability to understand other people's thoughts and motives, when I put my mind to it. I can also be very detached, which can allow me to see other perspectives without judgment. Yet more often than I'd perhaps like to admit, when witnessing with the suffering of other people, I've felt...

Disinterested? Unmoved? Maybe just unsure how to feel.

Sometimes it seems like, if you wrote down what was happening to the other person on paper, and I read it, and imagined it, I'd be furious and upset about it. But if I saw it happen in real life, it wouldn't bother me that much. I might even have to fake a reaction so people don't think I'm a sociopath.

Sometimes it seems like the emotional reaction is actually there and it's governing my thoughts and actions... but the actual feeling of it is deeply muted.

For people I care about deeply or like a lot, there does tend to be more of an impact when things go wrong for them. I've also found myself feeling properly disturbed and distress when I see people who are in some way helpless (children, the elderly, the disabled) being exploited or treated cruelly.

But yet, there are members of my extended family towards whom I feel less empathy than I might towards a sympathetic stranger. The detached, rational side of me I mentioned earlier? He sees I have nothing in common with a lot of these people, that if not for the fortune of having the same blood we probably wouldn't bother talking to each other. And I just don't feel much for these people. I try to be loyal - I still go out of my way to help them, out of a sense of honour - but it doesn't seem motivated by a genuine emotional reaction.

Maybe everyone's like that, to a degree. Some more than others.

I have a lot of empathy especially for animals and people who suffered similar traumatic experiences to mine,I hate seeing people go through the same stuff I did.

Guys: do you want to leave a comment on this article? The article gives a list of symptoms of Aspergers. Most of the list is good, but number nine states: "9) Lack of empathy: children with Asperger’s cannot empathize with other people."
http://healthinsurancefact.org/2015/11/22/12-most-common-symptoms-of-aspergers-syndrome/#comment-295
Says that not all do.

"a child with Asperger’s will not necessarily have all the symptoms"

Also this is for children. Kids have lower empathy than adults.

And it's true for me while others aren't, like the emotions one. However for others the emotions one is true but the empathy isn't. Don't see the point of getting angry at the author because you, an adult, do not have every item on this list.

Says that not all do.

"a child with Asperger’s will not necessarily have all the symptoms"

Also this is for children. Kids have lower empathy than adults.

And it's true for me while others aren't, like the emotions one. However for others the emotions one is true but the empathy isn't. Don't see the point of getting angry at the author because you, an adult, do not have every item on this list.
I'm not angry at the author. But I think that statement of hers is overly simplistic.
It's true that kids as a whole have lower empathy than adults. But her list doesn't acknowledge that fact.
Anyway, I don't want people to leave angry comments-not at all. Just ones that give a bit more emphasis to the complexity of the subject.

New Threads

Top Bottom