• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you believe in the possibility of a neuro-diverse renaissance?

Is a neuro-diverse renaissance possible?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Possible, but unlikely.

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
Do you think there is any possibility for a major change in the way the world sees and deals with neurology and especially with those that don't seem to fit the norms?

If so, what do you think might need to happen?

If not why don't you think it possible?

Do you think there is any possibility for a major change in the way the world sees and deals with neurology and especially with those that don't seem to fit the norms?
Yes I believe it is possible, but whether it will be positive or negative I can not decide. The farther a pendulum swings in one direction, the further it will swing in the other. This also shortens the relative amount of time it is in the middle, in balance.
At the end of the day, whether we like it or not, money and politics are the major deciding factors. "He who pays the piper, calls the tune". For further discussion on this topic talk to Mia.

Last edited:

If so, what do you think might need to happen?

If not why don't you think it possible?

No. With insurance cos wanting a definite dx, they will veer further away from the truth in favour of good old money. Greed trumps science every time it has a real chance to do so.

Med research papers are covered in lies to keep grants. There are a few cures for cancer that not available. Look up the sagas of Bexxar and Zevalin if you want to vomit. (These are not like "Green tea cures cancer!" etc...) Cuba and other countries have cancer vaccines you will not get here. Greed in medicine makes it biased.

Think that when people innovate, like Bill Gates and many others before him. It changes a kind of world view with the people involved or effected by the change. The innovators are thought of in a positive way, afterwards. Their contributions to the world in large or small ways, benefit and make life better for many people.

Education, knowledge, ideas, can change cultures in many ways. I've seen the internet become a driving force in my lifetime, information is a way to a certain kind of freedom for anyone with a connection. In my childhood, people had to find or buy books for information and knowledge. People with money had more access to knowledge. The internet is one enormous worldwide library for those who want to know and understand and most of it is to a certain extent free.

So class distinctions have changed. I very often run into problems with 'professionals' who don't like to be specifically questioned, about anything. They often retort with 'you read that on the internet' as if it were not real or valid. Knowledge is no longer in the hands of a select few. Who advise and control. That changes things forever, for people with autism the internet is a freedom. A way for us to learn outside of the classroom, school, company. Who knows what may come of it.

A lovely and inspirational utopia you have painted.

When you can get the Information at home It devalues professionals jobs. Not everyone is capable of distinguishing good medical advice from the bad. Like the coffee mug says, "don't mistake a google search for a medical degree".

Apparently one of these statements triggered someone with the ability to read minds.

Yes, I made a self diagnosis of ASD, but I am also under the care of a psychiatrist and therapist and I respect their diagnosis over mine.

The harm and disrespect of self-diagnoses | The University Star
Article unlinked.

Opinions have no place in this discussion apparently. Well except those of one person who has to degrease. :D

How about this vision of the future?.

'Future Is Female' Femme-A-Goguery by Michelle Malkin

Harassed: Melody Hensley claims online bullies and Twitter trolls has caused her PTSD and that it is just as bad as that suffered by veterans of combat
Woman claims she has PTSD from Twitter and cyberstalking | Daily Mail Online

You would be surprised how easily people are "triggered" these days.

It wouldn't surprise me if she actually does have a form of self induced anxiety distorter at the very least. But to say that it is just as bad as that of veterans who have seen fellow soldiers, men, women and children suffer, and die horrific deaths. All the while fearing for their own lives, but putting others first. Is this acceptable?

P.S. I am currently going through a med adjustment so if I seem a little salty I apologize. It is not my intention to offend anyone, and I thank you. ;)

Last edited:
The internet is one enormous worldwide library for those who want to know and understand and most of it is to a certain extent free.
A wonderful post Mia. I just had to single out this statement because I often see people who are holding devices in their hands that gives them free access to an incredible amount of knowledge, both current and from the past. And what are they doing with these marvels? Invariably, playing Candy Crush or solitaire.

*sigh*

Not entirely true, but true enough...

A lovely and inspirational utopia you have painted.

When you can get the Information at home It devalues professionals jobs. Not everyone is capable of distinguishing good medical advice from the bad. Like the coffee mug says, "don't mistake a google search for a medical degree".

Yes, I made a self diagnosis of ASD, but I am also under the care of a psychiatrist and therapist and I respect their diagnosis over mine.

The harm and disrespect of self-diagnoses | The University Star

You are entitled to your uninformed opinion. Don't belittle or devalue mine because you think you understand something, because you do not. People are quite capable of understanding science and medical information, if you cannot that is your difficulty.

If you wish to place your complete trust in 'professionals' that's also your choice, but not questioning may also disappoint you at some critical time. Being informed of anything that relates to your own welfare is important.

As for your mug homily, I already have several degrees. Understanding something does not require professional interpretation if you know how to think. Your University star reference, is an opinion piece by Jessica King with no references or credibility. If that's your 'professionals' advice, then you don't comprehend what that actually is.

If you don't understand what I'm referring to or writing about, that's unfortunate. Write again in twenty years, when you can think better.

Not all of us are so impaired that we land in the lap of a doctor. And in some cases like myself, the "professional" medical community simply failed to diagnose me when the science simply wasn't there. So I was deemed "fine" and struggled accordingly. We're talking about half a century here people.

Without the Internet, I was neither Neurotypical or Neurodiverse. Just a jerk who doesn't seem to get along with people for some damned reason I never figured out. And all of you would have been people I don't know, and don't really want to know.

The Internet isn't a solution in itself. But as Mia pointed out, it provides the hope of an effective catalyst for potential success in the future when it comes to information reaching so many so fast and on a global scale.

What other catalyst exists to possibly enlighten the world? Autism Speaks or "The Big Bang Theory"? Really? :eek:

For me in terms of my self-awareness, the Internet has been a light at the beginning of this tunnel. Without it there would simply have been no "journey" at all.

Last edited:
I have worked with quite a few professionals holding advanced degrees. Some are quite capable and accomplish much, some are highly educated idiots. I have known attorneys and doctors, that caused me to wonder how they were able to get themselves to work every day. This lack included their professional abilities as well as more common sense matters. Some were brilliant and capable of making good decisions, some were just containers for expensive knowledge going to waste.

It's true we ultimately are forced to rely on a professional medical establishment for a definitive answer regarding our neurological status. Particularly if it involves some fulfillment of a legal requirement, such as government entitlements, etc..

Though it must always be tempered by the reality that it is an establishment that is not only far from perfect, but professionally and politically fragmented, and heavily interfered with by politicians and business interests who don't care about the sanctity of the Hippocratic Oath and likely never will.

Given the present circumstances I can only hope for change. And that if it comes, it's not likely to be in my lifetime. But it might be in yours. Hang in there.

Because it is a spectrum it means that people don't necessarily have or not have autistic traits. ASD is becoming more common. The more people there are on the spectrum also means there are going to be more people in the who are not on the spectrum but have a lot of autistic traits. I think it will get to a point that there is less of a defined line between neurotypical and neurodiverse. Because of genetics and society I think there will be more people in the future who are are both.

I have taught so many kids who may not fit the full criteria for ASD but are not far from it. Statistically 1 in 68 children or something like that are on the autism spectrum. In every class I've been in it seems like way more than that. I think awareness and acceptance will increase. It seems it is in education. In the district I work for all children are in the same classroom except kids with severe behavior. The assistants come to work with them in the class rather than them leaving class if they need extra help.

Mia, I apologize. I did not mean to trigger anyone. The only sentence in my reply that referred to you was the first one. Next time I will try to use emoticons for those who cannot distinguish things such as sarcasm,:D for instance.

The mug was a reference to people in general not to anyone on this site, and was my opinion. I will try my best to better define who I am referring to, and limit all replies to threads you have posted in, to hard facts.

In addition, If I am misreading your intentions, I am truly sorry. Thank you for your expert tutelage, and have a nice day.:)
If you don't understand what I'm referring to or writing about, that's unfortunate.

New Threads

Top Bottom