• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Display of trust?

My friend gave me a set of keys to their flat and just said, "Its so you can let yourself in if I'm not here when you arrive or something".

Is this a display of trust? Are they telling me in a non verbal, symbolic way that I am a trustworthy and important person?

Most definitely, I would say.

But watch out for the : 'I'm expecting a delivery today and can't make it back. Will it be okay if you just let yourself in and wait all day in the house for me? '

:)
I'm sure it's a good friend and they wouldn't do that!

Most definitely, I would say.

But watch out for the : 'I'm expecting a delivery today and can't make it back. Will it be okay if you just let yourself in and wait all day in the house for me? '

:)
I'm sure it's a good friend and they wouldn't do that!
Haha, wouldn't be much point, I live an hour away lol.

My friend gave me a set of keys to their flat and just said, "Its so you can let yourself in if I'm not here when you arrive or something".

Is this a display of trust? Are they telling me in a non verbal, symbolic way that I am a trustworthy and important person?

I suppose first and foremost that depends on the actual motive of the person making the offer in the first place. Second, it depends on the person making the offer. For some people, such offerings come easy. For others like myself, not so much. Some people are just "big-hearted" while others are just plain careless and irresponsible of their own property.

From my own perspective, it's a big deal when I extend such an offer to much of anyone for any reason. Trust simply doesn't come easy for me.

I suppose first and foremost that depends on the actual motive of the person making the offer in the first place. Second, it depends on the person making the offer. For some people, such offerings come easy. For others like myself, not so much. Some people are just "big-hearted" while others are just plain careless and irresponsible of their own property.

From my own perspective, it's a big deal when I extend such an offer to much of anyone for any reason. Trust simply doesn't come easy for me.
It doesn't for my friend normally. He is very guarded and finds trust difficult.

@ksheehan88
Consider this alternative:

The friend is setting you up as the main suspect in a
breaking/entering burglary. Too bad you won't get a
share of the insurance haul.

That's not likely, is it? :)

So, that seems to leave the idea of him considering you
harmless and trustworthy.

Consider this alternative:

So, that seems to leave the idea of him considering you
harmless and trustworthy.

Or a step towards going well beyond just a good friendship. ;)

That's why I mentioned what might be motivating such a thing. Could be just nebulous friendship and trust. Or something "more".

Overdone paranoia was exactly my point in sketching
the burglary set-up.

After removing a really negative possibility,
I figure that leaves the positive ones to
consider.

I'd say it's definitely a sign that he trusts you. We have keys for one of our friends houses not too far from us, so we can let ourselves in to check on their dog if needs be. I found it weird someone who isn't a parent giving me keys to their house :p

For some people, such offerings come easy.

Genuine question, surely even for those who find such offerings easy would have to still have a fair degree of trust in the other person? Or do some people not worry so much about those details and just offer stuff like that?

I'd say it's definitely a sign that he trusts you. We have keys for one of our friends houses not too far from us, so we can let ourselves in to check on their dog if needs be. I found it weird someone who isn't a parent giving me keys to their house :p

Genuine question, surely even for those who find such offerings easy would have to still have a fair degree of trust in the other person? Or do some people not worry so much about those details and just offer stuff like that?
I never even had a key to my parents place lol.

I feel like its an honour that he bestowed his trust on me, it makes me feel very special :D

I couldn't imagine letting anyone having keys to my house, no way lol.

Genuine answer:

I was a professional property and casualty insurance underwriter for many years. You'd be astounded at how careless and irresponsible people can be with their property and assets. With little regard for trust or common sense thinking about security ever being considered.

Absent-mindedness and stupidity on another level. :rolleyes: :eek:

Last edited:
I feel like its an honour that he bestowed his trust on me, it makes me feel very special :D

Exactly. It's a courtesy I never extended to a friend. Only to a lover or a rare relative I knew very well.

I never even had a key to my parents place lol.

You'll be able to tell us what he's got in his drawers :)

I'm the same with keys. No way. Don't even have anything to hide but no way.

That sounds like something that I would do and have done. Until about ten years ago, I never even locked the house. My problem is that I want to trust everyone. If it was not for my wife, I would get taken advantage of... a lot!

Is it a display of trust? For me it would just be SOP. For most people, yes, it would be a display of trust.

New Threads

Top Bottom